Anyone ever use a Zeed Parts double seat with a short rear fender? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Anyone ever use a Zeed Parts double seat with a short rear fender?

I love the short fender look but also want this seat. Anyone ever done both?

Overall Look I like:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-REBEL...AAAOSw8l9azwub

Seat:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Rebel...EAAOSw0YlcHe6C
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarfaze View Post
I love the short fender look but also want this seat. Anyone ever done both?

Overall Look I like:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-REBEL...AAAOSw8l9azwub

Seat:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Rebel...EAAOSw0YlcHe6C
I think you'll have to go one way or the other. When you go with the short "tail tidy" you remove all the support for a rear seat. Those double seats attach to the stock rear fender, the seat would be longer than the stubby tail tidy and would not support any weight from a passenger even if you rigged it up some how.
Kenny G and lunarfaze like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:54 PM

I own that seat and it wouldn't work. Like @Showmeguy66 above said, it bolts onto the middle of the original fender and has no other bolts holding the seat, just a very small 1/2 inch bracket in the front that slides under the gas tank.. There'd be no where to bolt down the seat if you were to delete the original fender and installed that short one.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:01 AM

you could chop your stock fender in half and make it work for sure. But you're going to have to get creative.
lunarfaze likes this.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the great feedback.

@holypotatoes do you like the seat?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarfaze View Post
Thank you guys for the great feedback.

@holypotatoes do you like the seat?
To be honest, it doesn't feel that much different from the original so I'm a little indifferent to it. I was hoping it'd be a little better than the original, but I had also read reviews here about the zeed seats not being any more comfortable than the regular so I wasn't hoping for miracles. The positive is if you happen to be a rider that sits further back on the seat you have more cushion to work with as you won't have the bar right in the way. My issue with the seat is the back of my upper thigh having an odd pressure point at the edge of the seat, and not so much butt discomfort. So I have to kind of sit really far up on the seat, almost on the gas tank, so that the seat doesn't jam into my thigh. The foam inside seems to be pretty dense and doesn't have much give. I'm hoping with enough riding the foam with give a little more, and if it doesn't I can cut out the foam along the edge and add something softer.

Saying all that though, I mainly bought it for the color not for comfort. I was trying to get more red on my bike and this kind of did the trick. Keep in mind the red on the seat isn't the same color red as the bike. It's definitely darker, like a blood red with a titch of plum color to it, but it does spruce it up a bit. I've attached what my bike looks like currently so you can kind of see the color difference (if in fact you have a red Rebel, if not then this info is likely irrelevant to ya. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190321_172032.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	28295   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190321_171733.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	28297  
lunarfaze likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:48 PM

Garage
Potatoes,
Is the seat pan substantial enough that the seat could be rebuilt with more foam and a new cover?
Kenny G
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Potatoes,
Is the seat pan substantial enough that the seat could be rebuilt with more foam and a new cover?
Kenny G
I'd say you could. It doesn't have a massive amount of flex to it so I'd assume you'd be perfectly fine redoing the foam and cover. The current staples holding the cover on are spaced about an inch apart so you'd have quite a bit of space for new staples in non-holey areas. The seat's only about 2.5 lbs which seems too light to me. The plastic almost feels like a hardened injection foam. There's almost a velvety texture to it, and not a hard plastic texture. It's also matte in color and not shiny which is odd for black plastic. The OEM seat is definitely a harder plastic, and I just weighed that seat and it's only about a half pound lighter than this zeed one, lol.

Although in saying this, I took off the seat just now to see if there was a drain hole or something I could use my micrometer on to give you a thickness of the plastic (there wasn't so I can't help you there), and saw that there's already breakdown of the plastic from where the edge of the gas tank lip hits and appears to be rubbing. The issue with this seat is the tiny bracket that slips under the gas tank, as it's only 7/8", which I why I had to add the rubber shims, and there's no way to bolt it down in the front. But now it looks like I may have to add some other buffer as the metal of the tank bracket will just continue to rub due to vibration and movement of the seat, which will at some point make a hole in the plastic. I've only had the bike out maybe 8 times, for about 30 minutes each, since putting the seat on so this doesn't bode well.

EDIT: Added a side by side of OEM (left) and Zeed (right) seat so you can see the plastic difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190602_100814.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	28299   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190602_103207.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	28301  
lunarfaze likes this.

Last edited by holypotatoes; 06-02-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:39 PM

Garage
Potatoes,
I would like to have the banana style seat but I guess I am going to have to wait a little longer.
I want a seat with a substantial pan so when I add a lot of foam to get the height that I need and the new seat cover is pulled tight the pan doesn't flex with it.
I concluded a long time ago that the frame loop should be cut off and the frame strengthened so I could modify a seat from a Triumph or another bike and use that.
I no longer have welding equipment so modifying the frame is not going to happen.
There was one fellow on here that did saw the loop off of the frame to use the seat from a Scrambler Kit, we have not heard back from him recently.
Thanks for all the information that you have posted above and I am thinking you are not as happy with the seat as you might like to be.
Kenny G
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Potatoes,
I would like to have the banana style seat but I guess I am going to have to wait a little longer.
I want a seat with a substantial pan so when I add a lot of foam to get the height that I need and the new seat cover is pulled tight the pan doesn't flex with it.
I concluded a long time ago that the frame loop should be cut off and the frame strengthened so I could modify a seat from a Triumph or another bike and use that.
I no longer have welding equipment so modifying the frame is not going to happen.
There was one fellow on here that did saw the loop off of the frame to use the seat from a Scrambler Kit, we have not heard back from him recently.
Thanks for all the information that you have posted above and I am thinking you are not as happy with the seat as you might like to be.
Kenny G
Totally understandable. I have a few extra seats lying around my house that I've acquired over the years and the plastic on them is definitely thicker than the zeed one. If you're looking for no flex it's definitely not going to work. Nor would I trust it to do 2 up if that's what you'd be wanting to do.

And I was pretty content with the seat until I saw the new damage today. That just put a bummer on things. But I've loaded it all up with gasket maker in hopes of making a cushion so we'll see what happens. I will say I didn't go into buying the seat with high expectations after reading threads here about the other zeed seats, so I had low expectations to begin with. If anything I was thinking things weren't that bad up until now. I still think it looks pretty cool though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page