Seat Advice - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Seat Advice

I'm new to both my Rebel 500 and motorcycling in general. I like the Rebel 500 except for two things: the mirrors -- which I've already done something about -- and the seat. Basically, I get a sore ass after an hour. It feels like I'm bottoming out (pun intended).

When I start searching around, I see:

• Some folks recommend memory foam. Some say to stay away from it because it doesn't "spring back" like regular foam.
  • Some recommendations for gel seats.
  • Some for stiffer foam and some for softer...although everyone says "more".
  • Spring seat vs. not spring seat?
I'm a big guy and I want something that can deal with that, so my gut tells me that stiffer foam is probably the answer. However, I'm looking for general advice if anyone has some.

Also, are there manufacturers where there's a consensus on good quality? I looked at Corbin, which seems to get a lot of positive review, but their seat appears to be a two-up model and I just want the driver seat.

Or, is the way to go to take my existing seat to an upholsterer and ask them to do it?

Thanks.

Last edited by tdeffler; 05-19-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:15 PM
SLI

Corbin only offers a single gunfighter seat on their website.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:23 PM

Garage
I googled custom motorcycle seats and quite a few popped up. Thereís many more if you alter your search. You could seek recommendations or contact them and get your seat redone. Good luck
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:39 PM

FWIW, I have found the following for me:
Gel did not help; gel + foam was better;
Neoprene foam is firm and comfortable on my Rebel. The extra foam has been used to flattened the seat;
Sprung saddle: Now you're talking; I once fitted one to another bike. It was a little firm but the best.

That's for me, but we are all different......

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prgrmerror View Post
I googled custom motorcycle seats and quite a few popped up. There’s many more if you alter your search. You could seek recommendations or contact them and get your seat redone. Good luck

Yes, of course I've googled and found custom shops. The problem is that finding honest evaluations that aren't fully positive is a little challenging. Yelp has helped on one or two but most are relatively anonymous on the web other than their own testimonial sections...which will all be positive, of course. So, the approach of contacting a shop and just going with them would be a shot in the dark, especially since I'm uncertain of what the best "technology" would be (hence this post). It was worthwhile to see if someone here knew of good-quality, comfortable after-market seats. If not, I guess I'll have to try to see some of the actual work of some of these shops and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robble10 View Post
FWIW, I have found the following for me:
Gel did not help; gel + foam was better;
Neoprene foam is firm and comfortable on my Rebel. The extra foam has been used to flattened the seat;
Sprung saddle: Now you're talking; I once fitted one to another bike. It was a little firm but the best.

That's for me, but we are all different......

Thanks. That's useful. Some have said that gel inserts heat up quite a bit in the summer sun. Have you found that to be true?

Last edited by tdeffler; 05-19-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:01 PM

Garage
I wouldnít recommend the shop I used. I canít say anything good about the office help. I heard everything I needed to hear but didnít get what I was expecting. I shouldnít have had to work on a seat that I paid a lot of money for. Iím very happy with the results or should I say my results. Corbins are usually comfortable and if I was looking to buy a plug and play I would consider one if you like the look. If you donít like it there is a healthy secondary market and youíll be out a c note or so, but you got to try it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:23 PM

It may sound weird, but you could always go to a fabric store. Not like a JoAnn's or Michaels, but a true fabric store and ask them their opinion on foam. Most true fabric stores have supplies of various foams for redoing different types of upholstery projects. Heck, you could even plop the foam on the floor and sit on it to see what it feels like. I ended up making a seat for the minicycle in my avatar, and got the foam from the fabric store (plus I added some carpet padding that I had lying around my house to make it slightly more squishy just at the top ) It worked out nicely. Everyone's opinion on foam and seats will be different as all of our bodies are different. You're likely not going to have the same aches and pains as others. I know the Rebel seat doesn't hurt my butt, but instead kills the very upper back of my thigh. It's just a weird pressure point, so what I need changed on my seat is definitely different than others.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@holypotatoes - That's a good idea. There's a good fabric store near us.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeffler View Post

Thanks. That's useful. Some have said that gel inserts heat up quite a bit in the summer sun. Have you found that to be true?
I did not notice any heating up of the gel pad, if it happened. I thought its lack of 'give' was unhelpful. It can swish about but there is no springiness. It spreads the load, which is you, but I do not think that that is what is needed.

Following up the suggestion of visiting a fabric shop, I wonder if your best bet is to make up a pad that suits you and then try it on the bike uncovered. When you think you've sussed it, take the whole lot to an upholsterer to cover it nicely, with your choice of material.

In designing mine ( I have changed every bike seat), I always aim to have a flat seat to sit on. The common upturned rear edge (so exaggerated on the Rebel) always pinched my flesh and gave me the numbs. My seats have pads that stop short of the upturn - leaving a bit of a channel for flesh. Also, my bicycle has a seat with humps to meet the 'sit' bones and I have used that feature on my m/bike seats. My best seat was a sprung saddle on my TDM - 11 springs between me and the bike! Lovely.

Just my pen'orth.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page