Helmet recommendations - which one you have? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Odin
  • 1 Post By Ohio Newbie
  • 1 Post By Fletch

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Helmet recommendations - which one you have?

Hi,

What's your experience with helmets? I am a new rider, so I just got a helmet cause it's a must, but now I'm looking for some changes.

What I got is all from ebay uk, all in M size (head measure 58)

- open face Black helmet
  • I like the open face the most, but I dislike this particular one because the head gets huge, the padding is so thick, i never thought of this
- a full face Agrius
  • not comfortable, it presses too much on my cheeks
  • visor has only 2 settings, mid or full open.
  • feels heavy on the head
  • I don't like wearing brands on me, that front logo
- a full face LS2
  • this one feels to have slimmer padding, or softer, not intentionally, looks smaller than the Agrius
  • what i like most about it is the visor, it has multiple opening settings. You can just open it a little bit, a few mm. I can't manage to drive city with a closed visor, it blurs, so this helmet where you can open it just a little is nice.
All of them feel a bit tight, maybe I should get an L, though that starts at 59 and my measure is 58. Anybody with a 58 head feels the same? In some more detailed helmet measurement charts, the M was actually listed as up to 57.6 mm, and not 58.

Still, I would only recommend the LS2 for the adjustable visor opening and for being a tad bit smaller. What's your experience? Can you recommend one that doesn't make your head huge?

I would not wear a half helmet, but i'm looking for a slimmer padding open face helmet. Has any of you bought one that is really nice?

I think there's the weight factor too. To me, 1.5kg for a full face feels huge. Don't these things come in 1kg?
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

As a note to the above, the Agrius is a silent helmet, i like that. The LS2 is noisy, i hear the wind a lot, especially when I slightly turn my head, but even head front is way noisy than the Agris, with or without openings closed.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:09 AM

Garage
you mentioned buying from ebay, does that mean you didn't go to a shop and try them on first?
that would be the first thing if possible. you can determine alot from there. I currently have an Icon Airmada helmet in 2xl (or 63-64).
it's good but not great. fits well but there are too many vent openings so gets more wind noise than i'm used to. i just keep most of the vents closed -even in summer, and that helps.
best helmet I ever owned was Shoei RF1000.
but when I got back into bikes last year I went with something I could afford to start with. maybe this year spend more money and upgrade..
even if you're able to try them on , that won't tell you what kind of noise it will make when riding.
also some helmets will have replaceable cheek pads in different sizes if that's the only problem with the fit.
lastly -Revzilla (and i'm sure other websites) have pretty good video reviews of various helmets, detailing size, fitment and sound, shown on an actual person to give you a better idea.
good luck
rebelwithoutacause likes this.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:15 AM

biltwell lane splitters are sweet i have one and love it
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:15 AM

I would never ever buy a helmet without being able to try it on first. Same goes for shoes. Some manufacturer's 'large', is someone else's 'extra-large'. I won't even buy pants online. I want to try them on.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Newbie View Post
I would never ever buy a helmet without being able to try it on first. Same goes for shoes. Some manufacturer's 'large', is someone else's 'extra-large'. I won't even buy pants online. I want to try them on.
go with the sizing chart on the actual products page and you shouldn't have a problem
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 02:18 PM

Garage
I understand you need to be comfortable, however picking a helmet based on how big it makes your head look sounds a bit odd to me, and they are supposed to be reasonably tight for protection.

After all, it's your head. What is that worth? More than $50.00 I'm guessing.

Fletch

668 The Neighbour of the Beast

Last edited by Fletch; 11-20-2018 at 02:21 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 04:40 PM

Garage
FYI, this is what I wear.

Fletch

668 The Neighbour of the Beast
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:57 AM

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for this guys. I'm going to take a look at these brands. The problem where I'm at is that there's only a shop that sells, which has a stock of just a few items. Even the ones I got, you see they are on the cheaper end, they cost here about 2 to 2.5 times the ebay price.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page