Difficulty Installing Kuryakn Grips - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Difficulty Installing Kuryakn Grips

I ordered the Kuryakn 6345 grips and the throttle grip has a built in throttle tube, but I cannot get the throttle return cable to fit no matter what I try. There just isn't enough slack. Anyone able to install these and, if so, how? I tried disconnecting the throttle body end like with my shadow, but then I couldn't get it back on over there, either. It's like the cable is too short, but that seems impossible. I can't find any videos on YouTube (they attach grips to OEM throttle tubes) and the ones they don't are always 2 strokes without a throttle housing. Someone please save me from my spiral on what seems to be the simplest issue I have ever had working on anything, but easily one of the more frustrating.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:54 PM

Garage
Try removing the 2 Phillips screws that hold the cables just above the throttle body. Install the throttle first then return end on throttle body. The 2 screws that hold the bracket last. Best
Kenny G likes this.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:05 PM

Garage
Did you loosen the throttle cable adjuster? Top cable, slide rubber boot down, loosen jam nut all the way then also loosen adjuster sleeve (silver part)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_165924.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	25567  
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

I would love to, but one of them is round as **** and my ratchet drivers are to big to fit with that frame rail in the way.

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:11 PM

Garage
Also not sure if that part will actually fit? I cant tell how much space is between the end of the grip and the throttle tube? It looks almost flush and not sure you'll be able to get the switch closed around it? Also if the grip is longer than the original the switch tab won't fit back in the hole on the underneath side of the bars without either re drilling or cutting the tab off the switch???
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

That gave me about 1 mm. I need a lot.

I remember the throttle body plate trick working with the shadow when I switched handlebars. Fortunately, Honda wasn't using screw heads made of playdough back then.

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

If I disconnect the throttle body end then the cables go into the throttle sleeve and the housing closes over it just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showmeguy66 View Post
Also not sure if that part will actually fit? I cant tell how much space is between the end of the grip and the throttle tube? It looks almost flush and not sure you'll be able to get the switch closed around it? Also if the grip is longer than the original the switch tab won't fit back in the hole on the underneath side of the bars without either re drilling or cutting the tab off the switch???
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:28 PM

Garage
I was able to swap out my throttle tube/grips by only loosening the top adjuster all the way out, nothing down below. it was tight, and I needed a curved pick and needle nose to guide it in but it made it. Just for shits and giggles can you get the original back in place?
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:30 PM

Garage
Those two screws were pretty tight. I used a brand new #2 screwdriver. And even then I was putting a lot of pressure on them. You could try an impact screwdriver. The harbor freight 10 dollar setup has a very long bit in the kit. I have one for splitting cases on older bikes and itís worked great.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I'm at my wit's end with this and about to just return the grips. Problem is, I cut up my stock grips to get these on. I'm just a little pissed. The instructions are flat out annoying. "Install grips by slipping cables on in reverse order."

Okay.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page