Handlebar end weights - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Handlebar end weights

This question is for all folks that have replaced their bars or added bar end mirrors. I replaced my bars and I like the new ones much more than the stock bars. What I didnít do was move the bar end weights from the original set to the new set. Basically because I couldnít figure out how to remove them. My question is did you move them for a bar swap or if you went with the end mirrors, how did you get them out? After 2 decent rides I can tell they are missing and want to go back in and add them. Any comments would be helpful, even if you tried and failed itís good to know. Thanks!
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:35 PM

I think they're part of the bars, not a removable insert.
rebelwithoutacause likes this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You sir are correct. I donít know why I didnít think about that. After reading your reply I went to an OEM parts checker and they are not an available part. Guess Iíll have to find some that will work. Thanks
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You have to drill them out, itís the only method and no one as of yet has been able to remove them intact.

Twizz
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:57 PM

Garage
You could try some from a 250 rebel they are removable and might work
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 11:31 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prgrmerror View Post
You sir are correct. I donít know why I didnít think about that. After reading your reply I went to an OEM parts checker and they are not an available part. Guess Iíll have to find some that will work. Thanks
If you want to reduce handlebar vibration find a piece of rubber hose that will just fit inside the handlebars, remove the throttle and slide the hose in as far as you can and off any surplus. You can use clear hose if that is all that is available. Hose helped reduce vibration in the old British bikes.

If you insist on adding weight lead shot will work, but it does become powdered over a period of time. I am not sure if the powder would escape and you would be breathing it or not....

Kenny G
Twizzian likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:14 AM

Silicone sealant has been used before so perhaps that into the hose would help?
Kenny G likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:32 AM

Garage
Robble,

Silicone sealant will help. Anything to increase weight and cut down harmonics will reduce perceived vibration.

I actually put BBs from an air rifle inside the hose on a big AJS single. I used corks on the ends of the hose to keep the BBs from running all over the place while sliding the hose through the handle bars.

I recently added Kuryakyn ISO grips to my Rebel and eliminated any vibration felt in the handlebars. The ISO grips do increase the diameter quite a bit so I am thinking if you don't wear a Large size glove you may have trouble with the brake & clutch levers. I wear XX Large so it not a problem for me.

Kenny G
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All good conversation. I emailed the bar vendor and they recommended JP Cycle for aftermarket. Guess Iíll start with an internet search and see where it takes me. Thanks everyone!!
Kenny G likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I bought a set from Steigerperformance.com. They are 10oz each side. Install inside the bars so not visible once installed. Iíll give feedback in a week or so.
Kenny G likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page