Gear Indicator or Tachometer? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Gear Indicator or Tachometer?

So I just received one of those little $50 gear indicators from amazon, as well as a digital tachometer/ mini computer from steadygarage.com called the "cube G gauge"... Upon receiving them, I realized they both connect to the bike via the single diagnostics port.
In a perfect world, one of you would help me out and give me a link to where I can get a diagnostics cable splitter, or something of that nature, to install both of these products.
I have been looking around a lot and can not find anything like this, nor do I know if it would even work... so I am basically stuck choosing between the two, even though I want both and now own both.
The cube g is multifunctional and reads the rpms, voltage, computer malfunction codes, can clear the computer malfunction codes, engine coolant temp, speed, O2 voltage, and much more. Obviously this gauge is more useful than the gear indicator, but as a noob of a rider, I feel like having the gear indicator would also be extremely helpful...
Any suggestions?

noob today ... a pro tomorrow
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Any suggestions..? Yes, get another bike that suits your needs.
I mean, I'm not trying to be a douche here, and it's not directly targeted towards you either, but to the general people that gets a Rebel 300/500, doesn't anyone do any research any more?? Because this isn't the first thread on this topic, and it ain't going to be the last either.
It doesn't take long to realize that the Rebel was made with "old times" in mind, and thus is minimalistic in means of tech.
Is it strange for a bike in this day and age? The short answer is simply yes.
But then again, even for it's targeted audience, the Rebel was still made with the word "bobber" in mind, and on a bobber you won't find any tech thingies. It was specifically made to be simple and minimalistic. That also meant that the price could be dropped low on the bike, which again makes it more pleasant for the newbies to be riding bigger ccm.

But anyhow, moving along from all of that.
From a personal point, I've never felt the need for a tach, or anything of the other things you listed for that matter.
But I found it a bit frustrating from time to time to keep count of what gear I'm in, especially when coming towards tight turns, and you can't tell if you're in 3rd or 2nd, because it's darn unpleasant to suddenly find yourself shifting into 1st gear...
By all means, sometimes you'll have to go as low as 1st, but you kinda wanna know that it's coming beforehand.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 PM

Garage
i changed my mind as i was typing. i was going to say the cube g, since it has alot more data.. but after reading the brief install list, #1 says do not operate while riding. sure that's for liability, but then i saw the size of the unit and i'd agree. you shouldn't be pushing the buttons looking at diff data as you're riding down the road. most of that is for data collection you'd want to view AFTER a ride. sure it looks like you could set it to display RPMs consistently, but you can get the feel for that once you're riding around.

it's much easier to glance down for 1 second at a single digit on the gear indicator if you forgot whether you're in 5 or 6th gear-so you do'nt do the phantom shift into the non-existent 7th.
Kenny G, Twizzian and Prgrmerror like this.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:02 AM

Garage
I'd take a tach. The only bike I ever had with a gear indicator was my GT380 and I never really looked at it.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD) 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:29 AM

Garage
I actually vote the gear indicator. You learn by feel what the engine wants to do in terms of shifting, but I'm forgetful and I often will try to count gears but sometimes I just am tracking too many cars nearby, clutching, braking, balancing, looking around, and then suddenly *Poof* that gear number is out of my head and i'm scared to let go of that clutch because I don't recall what gear I came from. At least with the indicator you lessen your chances of having the wrong gear in mind. It does null out when the clutch is in, so you only get a read-out when the clutch is released.

Lyoko, any new piece of anything is going to be a learning experience as you own it. You can't expect anyone to go googling "How many diagnostic ports are on this?" when looking at the show floor for their first motorcycle... do you? I sure as **** did not know to even consider that when buying mine. It's my first bike, I'm not disappointed. Sure I'd love to have more gadgets to tell me nice things but I'll grow with the limitation and enjoy the bike for what it is. Ya make it sound like they bought their rebel without realizing it had only 2 wheels on it instead of 4.
Kenny G, Fletch and dsctr3 like this.

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:21 AM

+1 for gear indicator
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:57 AM
SLI

Gear indicator.

Also a new rider, i wouldn't want to look down more frequently to check my revs when you should be able to know by feel and sound if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4046.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	24821  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:21 AM

I use a gear indicator and a tach. The gear indicator is connected to the diagnostics port. And the tach cable is wrapped to a spark plug cabel. Perfect combination for me.
The tach is similar to that one: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...91885&_sacat=0
I have the tabs of the tach filed off and attached it like the GI on the handlebars. Looks nice and does its job.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko View Post
Any suggestions..? Yes, get another bike that suits your needs.
I mean, I'm not trying to be a douche here, and it's not directly targeted towards you either, but to the general people that gets a Rebel 300/500, doesn't anyone do any research any more?? Because this isn't the first thread on this topic, and it ain't going to be the last either.
It doesn't take long to realize that the Rebel was made with "old times" in mind, and thus is minimalistic in means of tech.
Is it strange for a bike in this day and age? The short answer is simply yes.
But then again, even for it's targeted audience, the Rebel was still made with the word "bobber" in mind, and on a bobber you won't find any tech thingies. It was specifically made to be simple and minimalistic. That also meant that the price could be dropped low on the bike, which again makes it more pleasant for the newbies to be riding bigger ccm.

But anyhow, moving along from all of that.
From a personal point, I've never felt the need for a tach, or anything of the other things you listed for that matter.
But I found it a bit frustrating from time to time to keep count of what gear I'm in, especially when coming towards tight turns, and you can't tell if you're in 3rd or 2nd, because it's darn unpleasant to suddenly find yourself shifting into 1st gear...
By all means, sometimes you'll have to go as low as 1st, but you kinda wanna know that it's coming beforehand.
Though I don't agree with the idea of simply changing bikes because it didn't come with the gauges you want. I do agree that this bike is what it is because you have to feel it and learn it. It is a great starter bike (great bike period) and after a few thousand miles you'll wanna rip off the mirrors and speedo cause they get in the way of you enjoying the ride. It's a cheap bike and after adding all the extras you want you're still saving money. Or you're the idiot, like most us, who pay for a complete bike only to strip stuff or change parts to make it what you want. Bikes are for your soul, or so they say, so do what you want.
Twizzian and Lyoko like this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:45 PM

When I bought the rebel I thought it was a pretty fancy bike to have a fuel gauge...

I think the gear indicator is more important than that other thing.

Also especially a newbie needs to pay attention to whats happening around him/her and control the bike and not look at fancy toys. It is a motorbike, not a computer and it can kill you diddling around with statistics instead of paying attention to the cagers.
dollarbill181, Lyoko, Odin and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Hondora; 07-24-2018 at 05:48 PM.