4Likes
  • 1 Post By chilany
  • 2 Post By JimInOz
  • 1 Post By JimInOz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
phone mount with Qi charging?

I've searched threads on here for "Phone mount" but wanted to post a fresh thread since I'm particularly interested if anyone has a Qi enabled phone mount on their rebel. And if so, how did you mount it on the bars? I find the Rebel don't have a lot of real estate for bar addons and cell phones aren't the smallest these day. I'm running a Galaxy S8+.

I've seen some run a power line off the bike's power and then you pop in a USB cable to your phone but i'd rather avoid the cable going into my phone if I can help it.

I may be able to craft my own QI using a generic mount and then add a charging pad, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Char...I+charging+pad

Somehow attached to:
https://www.amazon.com/Mounts-RAM-B-...le+phone+mount

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:19 PM

Sounds like a cool idea, but honestly too much work and probably $$ for me. I know you said you wanted to avoid the cable going into your phone so sorry for this post, but I figured I might as well be helpful to other people looking for a phone mount.

I just bought one of these Battery Tender USB Plugs ($10), a 3 ft iphone charging cable ($8), a Rokform Motorcycle Mount ($130), and Rokform Case ($40).

If you do go this route, be sure to get enough clearance. Turn the handlebars all the way and make sure it doesn't hit the tank. I forgot to do that and now I have a small scratch on mine. Also, the quick Battery Tender USB connects directly to a factory installed Honda cable that is connected to the battery. It's easy to attach. You just pop it on. I ran my cable under the seat, gas tank and up the handle bars. I used zip ties so the cable doesn't go bye bye when riding. The angle the mount holds my phone at is perfect for me.

The only downside is that the cable is always powered on even when the bike is off. (This can be fixed with a relay, but I didn't want to put too much work into it.) It shouldn't draw too much power from the battery from my understanding and I don't have it plugged into my phone all the time. (Maybe someone could give some input on the power drain of this method? From what I've read it's minimal). If you live in a big city and park it on the streets, it's possible someone might MIGHT plug their phone in for a charge, but I doubt it. Either way, I used some sugru to make a little housing unit for it when it's unplugged so it protects it from the rain although I'm not too worried about it.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for and the rokform mount can get pretty price, but I like the aesthetics. It's less bulky than the RamMount and probably harder to steal. I have the RamMount and the Rokform is more solid, in my opinion, in terms of your phone not flying out of it.

Good luck with your project!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4187.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	23161  
Json_Blob likes this.

Last edited by chilany; 05-02-2018 at 09:21 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Interesting!

I'm loving that mount because I'm a bicyclist as well and that is the same mount we use for our bicycle computers on our bar stems so I'm on board with that idea fully.

I COULD run a USB cable and buy a magnetic connector for my phone so it's a quick-disconnect.
http://a.co/4a9Mys7
http://a.co/0VaMFDr (Or something similar)

I'm not well versed on adding USB power sockets to a bike. This second link going to be as easy as it sounds?

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 11:48 PM

Garage
It should be very easy. There's a "switched to on with ignition on" power accessory connector in the headlight. Just get a matching connector and trim the USB dongle cables and fit the new connector. Check here for connectors:

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/E...onnectors.html

You don't need their fuse, the Honda one is protected by its own fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12VDC_Option.png
Views:	118
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	23177  
Kenny G and Json_Blob like this.

Last edited by JimInOz; 05-02-2018 at 11:51 PM. Reason: switched to ignition
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Json_Blob View Post
Interesting!

I'm loving that mount because I'm a bicyclist as well and that is the same mount we use for our bicycle computers on our bar stems so I'm on board with that idea fully.

I COULD run a USB cable and buy a magnetic connector for my phone so it's a quick-disconnect.
http://a.co/4a9Mys7
http://a.co/0VaMFDr (Or something similar)

I'm not well versed on adding USB power sockets to a bike. This second link going to be as easy as it sounds?

If you get the battery tender option you won't have to worry about stripping and connecting any wiring. It plugs directly in to an already existing cable. It just won't turn off when you kill the engine.

Last edited by chilany; 05-03-2018 at 03:04 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 03:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilany View Post
If you get the battery tender option you won't have to worry about stripping and connecting any wiring. It plugs directly in to an already existing cable. It just won't turn off when you kill the engine.
The thing is, not all bikes come with the battery tender cable, it's usually fitted by the dealers.

Honda has provided an easy to use switched power source for those bikes without battery tender cables.
Kenny G likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
The thing is, not all bikes come with the battery tender cable, it's usually fitted by the dealers.

Honda has provided an easy to use switched power source for those bikes without battery tender cables.
With "battery tender" option, I was referring to the brand of the item. I think it plugs directly in to the switched power source that you're talking about. I'm not 100% sure if we're talking about the same thing though so I might be wrong.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page