Riding with other bikers problem. - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 139Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Riding with other bikers problem.

Ok so this isn't a serious problem by any means, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced it.
I normally ride alone or with my wife as a passenger, but not with other bikers. But recently I went for a few rides with friends and there bikes.
And I tell you what, the exhaust noise(or lack there of) was actually an issue.

With no tach on the bike I can shift by ear/feel or now after riding it for a while I know what speeds I should be shifting this bike at.
But the exhaust is so quiet that when riding with any other bike I can not hear it at all over the other bikers exhausts.
It was quite annoying to have to look down at my speed much more than I normally do just to make sure I am in the right gear.
Keep in mind I already changed my exhaust to an aftermarket one I put together that is already slightly louder than stock.

Has anyone else actually had this issue as well? It is seriously making me considering buying the two brothers exhaust or possibly taking the bike to a muffler shop to see what they would charge for a custom exhaust.

FYI I have a 2017 Rebel. I have had multiple bikes in the past, and this one is by far the quietest thing I have ridden.
post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Ok so this isn't a serious problem by any means, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced it.
I normally ride alone or with my wife as a passenger, but not with other bikers. But recently I went for a few rides with friends and there bikes.
And I tell you what, the exhaust noise(or lack there of) was actually an issue.

With no tach on the bike I can shift by ear/feel or now after riding it for a while I know what speeds I should be shifting this bike at.
But the exhaust is so quiet that when riding with any other bike I can not hear it at all over the other bikers exhausts.
It was quite annoying to have to look down at my speed much more than I normally do just to make sure I am in the right gear.
Keep in mind I already changed my exhaust to an aftermarket one I put together that is already slightly louder than stock.

Has anyone else actually had this issue as well? It is seriously making me considering buying the two brothers exhaust or possibly taking the bike to a muffler shop to see what they would charge for a custom exhaust.

FYI I have a 2017 Rebel. I have had multiple bikes in the past, and this one is by far the quietest thing I have ridden.
Nope, even with the baffle in my slip on is pretty loud (Coffman).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well.. Even me, with my open slip on, some time feel that I'm just not loud enough from time to time.
And I'd say that's mainly due to the fact that this is just a 500. It ain't ever gonna sound like some HD with 1000++ engine..
dollarbill181 likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:27 PM

Garage
I had that problem but not on my Rebel, but on my C90. Got stuck behind some knucklehead on a Vulcan 900 with no baffles. Couldnít hear my bike at all and couldnít even hear myself think. Wound up with a major headache. There is nothing else you can do but watch your speedo or tach if you have one. The other option is to ride as first bike.
Kenny G likes this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
I had that problem but not on my Rebel, but on my C90. Got stuck behind some knucklehead on a Vulcan 900 with no baffles. Couldn’t hear my bike at all and couldn’t even hear myself think. Wound up with a major headache. There is nothing else you can do but watch your speedo or tach if you have one. The other option is to ride as first bike.

I know the feeling. Some jack ass thought it was cool riding next to me on a sportsster 1200 with custom exhaust. After 5 minutes of riding behind this guy I pulled over into the nearest spot until he was at least a mile away. Also the guy rode with just a shirt, flip flops and jean shorts. Talk about stupid...
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 07:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujirio View Post
I know the feeling. Some jack ass thought it was cool riding next to me on a sportsster 1200 with custom exhaust. After 5 minutes of riding behind this guy I pulled over into the nearest spot until he was at least a mile away. Also the guy rode with just a shirt, flip flops and jean shorts. Talk about stupid...
I’m sure those were safety flip-flops with an HD logo.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)

Last edited by longbeachgary; 04-24-2018 at 07:11 PM.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
Iím sure those were safety flip-flops with an HD logo.
and they cost 99bux, cause Logo !
Kenny G, sfrider1991 and Tree like this.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 PM

Garage
while we're on the subject, does anyone else notice how HD riders never wave to other bikers (at least in this area) and i'm not trying to single out any particular group of riders but come on.
people on metric cruisers and sport bikes wave to me ...but get a guy or group of riders on their Milwaukee ear-drum bleeders and ...Nothing.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:45 PM

Garage
Some have thought it was silly for some of us to like the digital gear indicator we installed on our Rebels.

In a high noise environment or very high winds the gear indicator will tell us visually what our ears can not register, unless we are one of the geniuses that "Are One With Our Bike".

I rest my case.......

Kenny G
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Some have thought it was silly for some of us to like the digital gear indicator we installed on our Rebels.

In a high noise environment or very high winds the gear indicator will tell us visually what our ears can not register, unless we are one of the geniuses that "Are One With Our Bike".

I rest my case.......

Kenny G
It's ridiculous that we're in 2018 and gear indicators/tachometers/fuel gauges aren't standard on all bikes. My buddy and I were talking about this on our ride last weekend because his '15 Scout doesn't have them.
Kenny G and sfrider1991 like this.

When life throws you a curve, lean in.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page