Follow up on buzzing noise - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Follow up on buzzing noise

Hi guys I posted a while back on a buzzing sound I was hearing on my new rebel 500. Did some trouble shooting and elimination and believe I've found the source. Seems to be coming from the chain guide on top of the swing arm just behind the front sprocket. The chain is bumping it and makes a clicking sound when I lift the rear wheel and spin the tire. At speeds of course this "click" turns into more of a buzzing sound. There's no way to adjust it and the chain is set to proper tension. Bike only has 175 miles on it so I'm hoping this will break in and maybe wear down the top lip of the chain guide as time marches on. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobba Cruza View Post
Hi guys I posted a while back on a buzzing sound I was hearing on my new rebel 500. Did some trouble shooting and elimination and believe I've found the source. Seems to be coming from the chain guide on top of the swing arm just behind the front sprocket. The chain is bumping it and makes a clicking sound when I lift the rear wheel and spin the tire. At speeds of course this "click" turns into more of a buzzing sound. There's no way to adjust it and the chain is set to proper tension. Bike only has 175 miles on it so I'm hoping this will break in and maybe wear down the top lip of the chain guide as time marches on. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.
It should not be doing that at all, I would suggest the dealer look at it and correct whatever is wrong with it.
rebelwithoutacause and Tree like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:25 PM

I would take it back to the dealer and let them sort it out.
rebelwithoutacause and Tree like this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 04:16 AM

Have you found any fix for your problem? I might have something similar on my bike.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

I have not yet. Don't know if it's chain tension or rear wheel alignment issue. Gonna try to get it to the dealer to have them fix it as its well under warranty. I could tinker with it but I don't want to not be able to fix it then I get the blame for the problem then it not be covered by warranty by them saying it was my messing with it that caused it. It might just be as simple as changing the chain slide on top of the swing arm. It has some play to it which might be the problem. I feel like the chain slider should not move as much or as easy as it does. It hasn't got to the point of eating into the plastic because it barely bumps it, but it's just enough to make noise when it does. Will post back when I see what the dealer says.
Kenny G likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Took the bike to the dealer and they tightened the chain, it was a little loose. However the buzzing is still there. Maybe I'm just being parnoid and not used to the normal sounds of a bike as this is my first one. He rode it and said the sounds he heard were nothing out of the ordinary so I'm gonna take his word on it. Maybe it's just the sound the front sprocket makes when giving some throttle? We'll see if a good chain cleaning and lube helps it any as well.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 AM

If it helps, my 300 had the same buzzing/rattling sound. Though it being a single cylinder it was expected. Nothing a nice slip-on can't mask.
Kenny G and Bobba Cruza like this.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Got the bike up on the stand and gave the chain/sprockets a good cleaning and lube.. taking it down the road a piece tomorrow to see if there's any difference. All in all I must say I love this bike though. Nothing like gettin knees in the breeze!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 02:13 AM

Garage
Get a louder exhaust!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobba Cruza View Post
Got the bike up on the stand and gave the chain/sprockets a good cleaning and lube.. taking it down the road a piece tomorrow to see if there's any difference. All in all I must say I love this bike though. Nothing like gettin knees in the breeze!
hey just curious if you found any improvements to this noise?
rebelwithoutacause likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page