The first owner of my Rebel mounted some Viking saddlebags but sure enough they were rubbing on the suspension and whacking the real caliper. I pulled them off to see what I could do but this one dang bolt was hard to remove. Looking at the way the bags are universal fit, I could drill new mounting holes to position them right but I figured for now I'd just put them back on instead.
Here's where I start really cursing like a Son of Anarchy.
That bot that was really hard to remove.... was a 9mm. The Honda fender is threaded for 8mm. Oh, and the previous owner used this .5" metal spacer washers to get the bags out more - probably because they put the holes in the wrong place (or transferred the bags from a different bike). Those spacer washers of course tried to remove paint from the brackets. But this too large bolt in in a too small hole has really messed things up because i can't get the same one back in that well and replacing it with the proper size doesn't work much better since I think they pretty much messed up the whole thread.
Fast forward to last weekend where I hastily put the bags back on with the proper sized bolts, rubber spacers to protect the paint and a lot of physical negotiation so that I can get the bike on a truck and ship it to me in a sunnier location. I'm happy AF down here now in the San Francisco Bay area and my Rebel comes joins me, the weather is a perfect 67 so I'm headed out to those hills over there.
60 miles later and I look down and the bolt not only came loose but I lost the rubber spacer and the saddlebag is holding on for dear life with it's single bolt.
Tldr: I need to re-tap my fender or buy a new one because the previous owner can't follow the **** instructions.