Use the right **** mounting stuff. - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Use the right **** mounting stuff.

The first owner of my Rebel mounted some Viking saddlebags but sure enough they were rubbing on the suspension and whacking the real caliper. I pulled them off to see what I could do but this one dang bolt was hard to remove. Looking at the way the bags are universal fit, I could drill new mounting holes to position them right but I figured for now I'd just put them back on instead.

Here's where I start really cursing like a Son of Anarchy.

That bot that was really hard to remove.... was a 9mm. The Honda fender is threaded for 8mm. Oh, and the previous owner used this .5" metal spacer washers to get the bags out more - probably because they put the holes in the wrong place (or transferred the bags from a different bike). Those spacer washers of course tried to remove paint from the brackets. But this too large bolt in in a too small hole has really messed things up because i can't get the same one back in that well and replacing it with the proper size doesn't work much better since I think they pretty much messed up the whole thread.

Fast forward to last weekend where I hastily put the bags back on with the proper sized bolts, rubber spacers to protect the paint and a lot of physical negotiation so that I can get the bike on a truck and ship it to me in a sunnier location. I'm happy AF down here now in the San Francisco Bay area and my Rebel comes joins me, the weather is a perfect 67 so I'm headed out to those hills over there.

60 miles later and I look down and the bolt not only came loose but I lost the rubber spacer and the saddlebag is holding on for dear life with it's single bolt.

Tldr: I need to re-tap my fender or buy a new one because the previous owner can't follow the **** instructions.
dollarbill181 likes this.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 08:42 PM

Garage
You only get to blame the previous owner up until the point that you realized the problem. From the second paragraph on out it's all your fault. Unpopular opinion, but personal responsibility.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 08:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
You only get to blame the previous owner up until the point that you realized the problem. From the second paragraph on out it's all your fault. Unpopular opinion, but personal responsibility.
Ouch.

I'm kind-of surprised that you found a used Rebel. I have seen only a couple of them and they are ridiculously expensive.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 09:08 PM

Garage
Rubber spacers + vibration = loosey boltey.

When you do it again (tapping the fender to 10mm), see if you can use bolts with drilled heads. Then lockwire the two bolt heads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	safety-wire-3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	21162  
Kenny G, Lyoko, Tree and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:36 AM

Part of the problem was my Viking bag came with 9mm bolts as part of the kit.
Because I didn't want to run into this problem down the road I let the project sit for a night so I could run to the hardware and get the right parts.

New riders tend to get over excited when new parts come in and force them to fit.
But...you gotta anticipate some half-assed work when buying used sometimes.
NOSaturn likes this.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill181 View Post
New riders tend to get over excited when new parts come in and force them to fit.
But...you gotta anticipate some half-assed work when buying used sometimes.
Yeah but god d'amn, how much force don't you have to apply to get a 9 mm bolt to fit into a 8mm hole even?! You should notice pretty quickly that something doesn't seem/feel right...
dollarbill181 and NOSaturn like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill181 View Post
I would have to disagree, its not a 'new rider' problem, it's a moron problem. If I would be looking at used bikes and I saw 'moron' stuff on the bike like stripped bolts then thats a no go for me because that lack of caring generally can be said for any maintenance that they bothered to do, if any.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
Rubber spacers + vibration = loosey boltey.

When you do it again (tapping the fender to 10mm), see if you can use bolts with drilled heads. Then lockwire the two bolt heads.
yeah... tap the fender or buy a new one. the AnalRetentive part of me says whole new fender so the bolts are factory spec. then again, i love those shorty fenders....
Dear Lord the perfect answer then is new OEM fender and then bob the old one! hahaha thats the dumbest brilliant idea ever!
Lyoko likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
Ouch.

I'm kind-of surprised that you found a used Rebel. I have seen only a couple of them and they are ridiculously expensive.
yeah. I wanted a 2015 Rebel 250 because they were dirt cheap... but fell in love with this one and that it was used so little - ~1000 miles - was nice. I paid like $6300 but they gave me $500 to spend on gear so it was a pretty smokin deal. I just moved down to Cali and could probably flip it for more than i paid.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
I would have to disagree, its not a 'new rider' problem, it's a moron problem. If I would be looking at used bikes and I saw 'moron' stuff on the bike like stripped bolts then thats a no go for me because that lack of caring generally can be said for any maintenance that they bothered to do, if any.
How does one SEE stripped bolts? The threads are generally not visible, unless you're talking about stripped heads from wrong sized tools...

This is why I bought my Rebel new. They're not that expensive, hardly any available used, and used always comes with having to trust the previous owner wasn't a . . . since half the population has IQ of 100 or below . . . The chances are about 50/50 that your p.o. was GOOD at owning/maintaining bikes...

Especially a "beginner" bike, like these. Chances are good previous owners are brand new to all of it... It's not a starter bike for me, and surely can take a lot of abuse, but my bike is immaculate with meticulous care in all things... Worth the premium for BRAND spanking new to me...
dollarbill181 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page