Back fender issue on every Rebel - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Back fender issue on every Rebel

Thought I might as well make a dedicated thread to this, as it's bound to be an issue for each and every Rebel out there. You should read this and check your bike for the same damage!

I recently teared down the back fender for a project, and while doing so I found this:

So it turns out it's the little plastic cover under the seat that fastens to the fender that's causing the scratching.
It seriously feels like such a cheap and easy way of dealing with that issue they had with sealing up that place.. Any moron knows that having something against something of metal/paint will cause rubbing and wear and tear on it... And yet they have chosen such a patent for it.
Sent a complaint about it today to my dealer, excited to see what they have to say about it.. Or rather, the import company that holds the warranty police for the bikes. Don't ask, I haven't gotten my head around it either.. It's not the dealer that makes the call on it, it's not Honda in Norway, it's the import company that brings the bikes here and distributes them to the Honda dealerships.
Either way, I'm not satisfied with how this looks. It ain't suppose to be like this. Not on a bike that isn't 1 year old even.

I seriously recommend that each and every one of you check for the same on your bike. This plastic cover is fastened directly to the fender by 3 plastic clips, so it will constantly have contact with it. Not to mention that sand and dirt is making it's way in between these parts, causing even more wear and tear on the fender.
This is not a spot on the bike that you'll be able to see normally.
You have to unscrew a few parts to gain access
The "walkthrough" from a Thai manual will give you an idea:
Little unsure if you have to remove the battery cover or not for this, don't think so. But even so it's just two plastic clips.
Loosen nr. 3 and swing it out of the way.
It's nr. 4 you want to take a look behind. That's the culprit here.

I'm a little surprised actually that I haven't seen or heard of any complains about this before.
I'm having a hard time trying to imagine that this is a lonesome case only for me here, since the plastic cover is mounted to the fender. And with vibration, water, sand, dirt, all of it will case wear and tear in this area over time.

Will keep you updated on what the dealer says about this, so we'll see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28947463_10155353297502967_660229243958701012_o.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	18434   Click image for larger version

Name:	29258239_10155355253722967_5106508227853123308_n.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	18442   Click image for larger version

Name:	29314726_10155355253562967_7029015347570118899_n.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	18450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5371.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	18458  
01-7700, Tree and motormike like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:08 PM
Banned

For those of us that have a brand new bike, or don't currently have this problem is there a solution you can think of that the rest of us could implement to prevent it from happening? It's hard to see on your pictures, but it looks almost like a piece of rubber (maybe a bicycle tube cut to size with some 3M adhesive to the plastic) could fix the issue?
Twizzian and Lyoko like this.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
For those of us that have a brand new bike, or don't currently have this problem is there a solution you can think of that the rest of us could implement to prevent it from happening? It's hard to see on your pictures, but it looks almost like a piece of rubber (maybe a bicycle tube cut to size with some 3M adhesive to the plastic) could fix the issue?
Yes the whole problem here is the friction between the fender and the plastic cover. The cover does fasten to the fender with 3 of those small plastic clips, but it is possible to bend/flex the plastic cover a bit so that you can have something in between them.
For now I have stuffed two pieces of those fabric thingies that you place underneath furniture to prevent scratches on the floor. It's a bit thick and should prevent further friction for now.
Still waiting to hear back from the dealer here, but they have to contact the import company, and they have to contact Honda I assume, etc, etc.. It takes time. But i won't let this go, that's for sure!

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko View Post
Yes the whole problem here is the friction between the fender and the plastic cover. The cover does fasten to the fender with 3 of those small plastic clips, but it is possible to bend/flex the plastic cover a bit so that you can have something in between them.
For now I have stuffed two pieces of those fabric thingies that you place underneath furniture to prevent scratches on the floor. It's a bit thick and should prevent further friction for now.
Still waiting to hear back from the dealer here, but they have to contact the import company, and they have to contact Honda I assume, etc, etc.. It takes time. But i won't let this go, that's for sure!
I wouldn't let it go either. I'm going to try and pull it apart tonight and take a look at it and see if I can think up a fix to prevent damage to my bike, from looking at the images you provided I think a bike tire would be a perfect fix and could provide a better gap barrier to reduce debris while remaining pretty thin to not affect the mounting pins.
Kenny G, Lyoko and Tree like this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:19 PM

Garage
lyoko-for sure don't let it go, that's how service bulletins and recalls get started. someone has to notice something and make noise about it.
if it ends up being a problem that would affect all/most bikes I would like to get ahead of the curve and fix any potential issue now rather than further down the road when something way more noticeable happens.
Kenny G and Tree like this.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
lyoko-for sure don't let it go, that's how service bulletins and recalls get started. someone has to notice something and make noise about it.
if it ends up being a problem that would affect all/most bikes I would like to get ahead of the curve and fix any potential issue now rather than further down the road when something way more noticeable happens.
Yeah that's why I can't imagine that I'm the only one with this issue here, due to how they have put the fender together. Hence why I recommend everyone to take a look, because this isn't something that you'll see with the seat and everything mounted onto the bike.
You have to remove the things I've mentioned to be able to spot this issue!
Tree likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 07:38 PM
Banned

I went and bought a trailer tire tube today from Harbor Freight for $4, I'm going to cut it to size where the plastic meets the fender and punch holes where the plastic fasteners go and hope that prevents the issue but really it's a manufacturer defect that really should have an 'official' fix from Honda.

To be honest I'm skeptical it will work because really there is nothing I can think do to that will prevent dust, dirt, sand etc from getting in that area and causing the same issue. My only hope is that the rubber acts a bit of a seal, but I may only compound the issue if it starts retaining moisture + sand etc.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:47 PM
Banned

Here are some pics during the process. Took me about 30 minutes to do, would have been less but I dropped one of the effing pins in the battery case and had to MacGyver a solution to get it out. If anyone is interested I bought a 10 inch trailer tire inner tube, cut it to shape with some scissors and a utility knife to size/shape and it worked perfectly. I cut it then split it down the middle so I have 3 potential re-fixes if needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180324_202723.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	19090   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180324_203340.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	19098   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180324_210406.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	19106   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180324_210412.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	19114  
Kenny G, Twizzian, Lyoko and 3 others like this.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
I went and bought a trailer tire tube today from Harbor Freight for $4, I'm going to cut it to size where the plastic meets the fender and punch holes where the plastic fasteners go and hope that prevents the issue but really it's a manufacturer defect that really should have an 'official' fix from Honda.

To be honest I'm skeptical it will work because really there is nothing I can think do to that will prevent dust, dirt, sand etc from getting in that area and causing the same issue. My only hope is that the rubber acts a bit of a seal, but I may only compound the issue if it starts retaining moisture + sand etc.
Yeah this is my thought exactly. I am planning to use some silicone to seal off all the places that ain't sealed off good enough. Just gotta wait for a bit warmer weather first before I can apply it.
I've also no idea what the dealership will wound up doing about this issue, so I'm excited to see.

I'm a bit skeptical if the rubber will actually help. It is rubber, but there will still be some vibration and constant contact with the fender/paint. Should be better off at least for now.
Tree likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:59 AM

Garage
Me too,
and my solution?
...double sided foam tape... (I'm not that mad about rubbing plastic against metal, than entering dust and moisture into batery comparement)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180328_105541.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	19962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180328_105555.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	604.4 KB
ID:	19970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180328_110505.jpg
Views:	149