Rattling after hitting RPM limit? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 94Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Mentally_Motarded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
Rattling after hitting RPM limit?

So I may have broke my engine, here's the story:

I was riding home from a movie and was going pretty fast (about 65) in 4th gear. This really fun part of the road was coming up which was just light curves that anyone can turn but I have about 3 months of total experience so it's pretty neato to me. I accelerate and when I hit a little over 70mph, still in 4th gear, my engine kinda jerks back and fourth, stutters a little bit, and refuses to go faster. This doesn't alarm me because I'm pretty sure it's just the rpm limit and I have to go to a higher gear to go faster. I remember the limits from the subsequent gears (29-31 1st, 47 2nd, and 65 3rd). I didn't really know what my rpms were like going around 60 and above however because I can't hear the engine over the noise of the wind. However after I slow down and can hear my engine I hear a rattling sound coming from it. It's pretty loud and frightening to me since I absolutely love my bike and would hate have something horrible happen to it. I pulled over to check if there's anything external that might have come loose but I didn't see anything and I rode home.

So like I said, I'm pretty new to riding with only 3 months of experience. I feel pretty comfortable on my bike and I'm pretty sure I'm shifting properly and I can do what I'm doing easily but I obviously did something wrong here. I usually shift up around when the motorcycle gets not necessarily the loudest but the rpms sound the highest. Now it occurs that I might be doing something pretty stupid. Basically what I know for sure is :

My engine is probably damaged
I'm doing something wrong

The engine light isn't on and my bike didn't feel really any different after I noticed the rattling, but that doesn't necessarily mean my engine isn't damaged. I tried to schedule a time to have my dealer look at my bike right when I got home but they aren't in today (it's sunday) so I'm going to schedule an appointment right when I wake up tomorrow. For now I want to ask all of you three things:

What could be wrong with my bike?
What did I do wrong?
What can I do to fix it?
How should I change my riding style to prevent this in the future?


Also if you need me to, I could probably attach a video with the rattling sound but I don't want to turn on my bike and risk further damage if I don't have to.

Edit: Forgot to mention my bike is the Rebel 300, not the 500.

Last edited by Mentally_Motarded; 03-05-2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention which bike
Mentally_Motarded is offline  
post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentally_Motarded View Post
So I may have broke my engine, here's the story:

I was riding home from a movie and was going pretty fast (about 65) in 4th gear. This really fun part of the road was coming up which was just light curves that anyone can turn but I have about 3 months of total experience so it's pretty neato to me. I accelerate and when I hit a little over 70mph, still in 4th gear, my engine kinda jerks back and fourth, stutters a little bit, and refuses to go faster. This doesn't alarm me because I'm pretty sure it's just the rpm limit and I have to go to a higher gear to go faster. I remember the limits from the subsequent gears (29-31 1st, 47 2nd, and 65 3rd). I didn't really know what my rpms were like going around 60 and above however because I can't hear the engine over the noise of the wind. However after I slow down and can hear my engine I hear a rattling sound coming from it. It's pretty loud and frightening to me since I absolutely love my bike and would hate have something horrible happen to it. I pulled over to check if there's anything external that might have come loose but I didn't see anything and I rode home.

So like I said, I'm pretty new to riding with only 3 months of experience. I feel pretty comfortable on my bike and I'm pretty sure I'm shifting properly and I can do what I'm doing easily but I obviously did something wrong here. I usually shift up around when the motorcycle gets not necessarily the loudest but the rpms sound the highest. Now it occurs that I might be doing something pretty stupid. Basically what I know for sure is :

My engine is probably damaged
I'm doing something wrong

The engine light isn't on and my bike didn't feel really any different after I noticed the rattling, but that doesn't necessarily mean my engine isn't damaged. I tried to schedule a time to have my dealer look at my bike right when I got home but they aren't in today (it's sunday) so I'm going to schedule an appointment right when I wake up tomorrow. For now I want to ask all of you three things:

What could be wrong with my bike?
What did I do wrong?
What can I do to fix it?
How should I change my riding style to prevent this in the future?


Also if you need me to, I could probably attach a video with the rattling sound but I don't want to turn on my bike and risk further damage if I don't have to.

Edit: Forgot to mention my bike is the Rebel 300, not the 500.

I am gonna copy a specific problem I see in your post. "(29-31 1st, 47 2nd, and 65 3rd)"


These speeds are obscenely to high for those gears. And I don't mean just a little.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Mentally_Motarded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
Oh ****, really? Alright, when should I be shifting?

Edit: I searched on google and found a post by you, I should really be shifting that low? I mean I realized that this bike is pretty small, but ****. Well at least I'm learning this now instead of later. Also I looked back in the manual because someone on the post said that it's in the manual and I found it. Sorry for wasting your time and being a moron. Is there anything else I could be doing wrong too?

Last edited by Mentally_Motarded; 03-05-2018 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Answered my own question
Mentally_Motarded is offline  
post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentally_Motarded View Post
Oh ****, really? Alright, when should I be shifting?
I believe it is in the manual as follows.

1st to 2nd- 12mph (20km/h)
2nd to 3rd- 19mph (30km/h)
3rd to 4th- 25mph (40km/h)
4th to 5th- 31mph (50km/h)
5th to 6th- 37mph (60km/h)

Yes you can go slightly over these. But yours are way over them.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Mentally_Motarded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
So, I shouldn't be driving on any roads that go 50+ mph? I wan't to get a bigger bike (500cc) because my bike is my only mode of transportation but now that it seems I obviously can't handle shifting properly, I wonder if I should even consider getting a bigger bike. This kinda just breaks any plan I have to get anywhere since most of the roads are 45+ and most of the people drive 10-15 mph faster than the speed limit and will dangerously overtake you if you go any slower.
Mentally_Motarded is offline  
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentally_Motarded View Post
So, I shouldn't be driving on any roads that go 50+ mph? I wan't to get a bigger bike (500cc) because my bike is my only mode of transportation but now that it seems I obviously can't handle shifting properly, I wonder if I should even consider getting a bigger bike. This kinda just breaks any plan I have to get anywhere since most of the roads are 45+ and most of the people drive 10-15 mph faster than the speed limit and will dangerously overtake you if you go any slower.
bike will be fine cruising at 65
Tree likes this.
tadashisensei is offline  
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 814
The bike can handle speeds over those in the book. But they are a reference point on where to shift to get the best gas milage and put the least amount of stress on the engine. The 300 can do 70mph without a problem. But you should be in a min of 5th and more likely 6th gear at that speed.
Tree likes this.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Mentally_Motarded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
The bike can handle speeds over those in the book. But they are a reference point on where to shift to get the best gas milage and put the least amount of stress on the engine. The 300 can do 70mph without a problem. But you should be in a min of 5th and more likely 6th gear at that speed.
I saw your post on shift points and you asked people what they do and one of the people said they shift 1>2nd at 20mph, 2>3 at 30mph, 3>4 at 40mph and so on. Do you think that would be acceptable? I like that idea since itís easy to memorize and I can still commute on my usual roads.
rebelwithoutacause likes this.
Mentally_Motarded is offline  
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentally_Motarded View Post
I saw your post on shift points and you asked people what they do and one of the people said they shift 1>2nd at 20mph, 2>3 at 30mph, 3>4 at 40mph and so on. Do you think that would be acceptable? I like that idea since itís easy to memorize and I can still commute on my usual roads.
I think everyone in that thread had the 500.
Those shift points should be fine, maybe slightly high. But if you are trying to get good acceleration they should work fine without causing any damage.
Tree likes this.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Mentally_Motarded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post

I think everyone in that thread had the 500.
Those shift points should be fine, maybe slightly high. But if you are trying to get good acceleration they should work fine without causing any damage.
Okay, glad I could figure this out. Thanks for the help, you probably saved me tons of pain in the future. Iíll be sure to be more wary in shift points in the future. I just thought you were supposed to shift when you couldnít go any faster in your current gear. Obviously I was wrong.
Mentally_Motarded is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebel 300 to the Limit!! macjosh1 2017+ Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Reviews 29 08-22-2019 02:35 PM
2-up riding speed? shortyg83 Honda Rebel 300 & 500 General Discussion 17 07-13-2017 02:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome