Rebel 500 Vibration at Highway Speeds (50-70 mph or 80-115 km/h) - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Rebel 500 Vibration at Highway Speeds (50-70 mph or 80-115 km/h)

Hi everyone,

First post - I'm looking to buy a nice beginner urban cruiser, and I'm strongly considering the Rebel 500 ABS for purchase soon to take advantage of winter promotions. Since I live in Montreal, a test ride would be impossible this time of year.

In my research, one common complaint was the vibration of the bike at "legal highway speeds", which then disappears again at higher speed.

Would I be correct in thinking that this is an issue with aerodynamics? Has anyone attempted/found a solution (windshield, fairing addition - perhaps in front of that wide radiator)?

Thanks in advance.
mrded likes this.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:45 PM

Yep that would be incorrect. The reason has nothing to do with aerodynamics. There happens to just be one part of the rpm range where the engine causes more vibration. Has nothing to do with windshield. You can remove most of the vibration you feel by replacing with thicker gauge handlebars.
Lyoko and Loki452 like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I am a bit puzzled each time I see someone complain about the so called vibrations coming from the bike.
I dunno if ya'll are just hyper sensitive to every bit of vibration, or what the heck even, because I for one have not experienced any issue with it... If I really felt after and payed attention to it, then sure, I might even feel some myself. But never have I've been riding and been thinking "man this bike vibrates a lot" Never. Not once. I just can't quite grasp where this all is coming from..
Are people constantly mixing up experience between the 300 and 500? Because on the 300 I would understand it. But not on the 500.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 05:17 PM

Maybe my small hands are more sensible than yours. I tried to put on ***** grips but it makes the grips too big for my hands so that I have to really stretch to reach the brake/clutch lever. I had to take them off again.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 06:51 PM

I have the 500 and I haven't experienced any discomfort from vibrations on the highway. I will say that I would've like the gearing to be a little different to bring the rpm's down a little, but I think I might replace the front sprocket to do that.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 08:07 PM

Garage
I commonly ride at highway speed for a couple of hours at a time and I don't feel any vibration from my Rebel 500.

I test rode a rebel 300 and I din't notice the typical vibration you would expect from a single cylinder motorcycle.

Kenny G
Tree likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 04:03 AM

Garage
I'm surprised at some of the comments complaining about vibration.

I ride my 500 at low and high speeds and haven't had any problem with vibration or tingling in my hands. And while I haven't ridden a 300 (we don't get them in Oz), I would expect the same level of smooth operation due to the primary balancer fitted to the 300 engine.

Maybe riding style could explain some comments. I don't "grip" the bars, but sort of hold on to them without squeezing tight and I don't have sore hands or suffer from vibration.

I do understand that there may be "vibration points" in the rev range of these engines due to harmonic frequencies, but increasing or lowering RPM or changing gear should avoid this.

If you want to know what vibration is, try riding a 74 Yamaha SR500 (the one with a 500cc single and no starter motor).
Kenny G, Lyoko and Tree like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 05:37 AM

No vibration issues here...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
Maybe riding style could explain some comments. I don't "grip" the bars, but sort of hold on to them without squeezing tight and I don't have sore hands or suffer from vibration
Yeah this is what I believe as well, it's the same riding style I have.
Too many believe that you're actually supposed to hold onto the handlebars for dear life, when in fact, it's quite the opposite. Even when emergency braking you're not suppose to hold onto the handlebar, or push against them with your body weight.
I can't stress it enough, too many are riding without proper knowledge on how to actually ride a bike. A day spent at a parking lot ain't gonna teach you everything you need to know.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
I am a bit puzzled each time I see someone complain about the so called vibrations coming from the bike.
I dunno if ya'll are just hyper sensitive to every bit of vibration, or what the heck even, because I for one have not experienced any issue with it... If I really felt after and payed attention to it, then sure, I might even feel some myself. But never have I've been riding and been thinking "man this bike vibrates a lot" Never. Not once. I just can't quite grasp where this all is coming from..
Are people constantly mixing up experience between the 300 and 500? Because on the 300 I would understand it. But not on the 500.
It could be a speed limit thing. What is the speed limit where you ride? The bike does have like one spot where it happens to vibrate more and it is possible the people who are noticing it more are those who are in areas where the speed limit happens to be the same spot that the bike happens to vibrate at.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page