16Likes
  • 12 Post By JimInOz
  • 2 Post By Lyoko
  • 2 Post By Twizzian

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Speedo Breakdown

Following on from the Speedo Defect thread, I thought I'd break mine down to give you an idea of the climate protection measures that Honda has taken.

Removing the speedo was as simple as undoing the two hex head cap screws, unclipping from the handlebar, pulling back the connector boot and releasing the connector by pushing on the lock tab.

With the speedo off the bike, we can see at the back there are three drain holes in the outer case. Two are for vertical orientation when the bike is being ridden (sensibly ). The other one id to allow drainage when the bike is parked on the sidestand.

Looking at the inside of the outer case we can see the drain holes quite clearly.

Now we can see the back of the inner case. The only thing of interest are the three breathers/vents and the connector. Note the locking keys on the right hand side of the block.

With the inner case removed the circuit board that drives the display is exposed, and in the inside of the case you can see three white dots. I think these are a barrier film that allows humidity to escape out, but will prevent water drops from getting in through the vents.

And now we're stripped as far as I want to go at this time. You can see my LCD is nice and clean and no signs of the anti-fog treatment streaking.

I've enhanced this shot to show the sealing gasket that surrounds the LCS and other display elements, so I'm confident that no water can actually get in there but humidity could possibly build up from the ambient air that would get drawn in as the speedo housing alternately heated up and cooled.

So there we are, I hope it sets some minds at rest regarding the "waterproofness" of the speedo and explains why some of the displays are affected by the streaking.

Cheers

Jim
01-7700, Kenny G, Lyoko and 9 others like this.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
nice job

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:20 AM

So theoretically, those of you with the streaking issue who didn't want your odometers reset with a new speedo could probably disassemble and clean the interior of the screen, then reapply your own anti-fog solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
So theoretically, those of you with the streaking issue who didn't want your odometers reset with a new speedo could probably disassemble and clean the interior of the screen, then reapply your own anti-fog solution.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
In my case, they just got a whole new housing, and keep my original circuit board, thus fixing the problem (so far) and keeping the miles I have on it.
But yes, technically what you say should be the case here. Would still let the dealership handle it thou, with the whole warranty, etc.
Kenny G and Twizzian like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Many thanks to you Jim for taking on this breakdown! Much appreciated!

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Itís a very good component breakdown by Jim.
Interesting to see whatís inside.

I do think that most owners will not attempt to disassemble the unit though & must agree with Lyoko that best let the dealer fix the issue under warranty.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.

Twizz
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 PM

there isn't much extra room in there
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the explanations and pictures . It's simply more content for me to record and remember when I'm finished saving up for my 300 abs. Cheers to ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
Following on from the Speedo Defect thread, I thought I'd break mine down to give you an idea of the climate protection measures that Honda has taken.

Removing the speedo was as simple as undoing the two hex head cap screws, unclipping from the handlebar, pulling back the connector boot and releasing the connector by pushing on the lock tab.

With the speedo off the bike, we can see at the back there are three drain holes in the outer case. Two are for vertical orientation when the bike is being ridden (sensibly ). The other one id to allow drainage when the bike is parked on the sidestand.

Looking at the inside of the outer case we can see the drain holes quite clearly.

Now we can see the back of the inner case. The only thing of interest are the three breathers/vents and the connector. Note the locking keys on the right hand side of the block.

With the inner case removed the circuit board that drives the display is exposed, and in the inside of the case you can see three white dots. I think these are a barrier film that allows humidity to escape out, but will prevent water drops from getting in through the vents.

And now we're stripped as far as I want to go at this time. You can see my LCD is nice and clean and no signs of the anti-fog treatment streaking.

I've enhanced this shot to show the sealing gasket that surrounds the LCS and other display elements, so I'm confident that no water can actually get in there but humidity could possibly build up from the ambient air that would get drawn in as the speedo housing alternately heated up and cooled.

So there we are, I hope it sets some minds at rest regarding the "waterproofness" of the speedo and explains why some of the displays are affected by the streaking.

Cheers

Jim

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page