Rebel materials and build quality.. - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Rebel materials and build quality..

Stopped off at our local dealer today for a test on another bike. Noticed a Rebel sitting in the car park. It's about 10 weeks old, and in for its 600 mile service. Couldn't help notice the exhausts are already rusted up and so are a lot of the fastener heads. Given we haven't started salting the roads here yet, it doesn't fill me with confidence for the longevity of these wee bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7932_1505771134830.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	8865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7933_1505771160169.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	8873  
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunf View Post
Stopped off at our local dealer today for a test on another bike. Noticed a Rebel sitting in the car park. It's about 10 weeks old, and in for its 600 mile service. Couldn't help notice the exhausts are already rusted up and so are a lot of the fastener heads. Given we haven't started salting the roads here yet, it doesn't fill me with confidence for the longevity of these wee bikes.
Most of the fasteners used on the Rebel are of the lowest quality possible. The Button Head Allen Head machine screws are certainly of inferior quality. I bet they cannot sell the Rebels as made in Thailand in their own country of Japan.

Buy a Harley if you want good fasteners.

Kenny G
trock59 likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 09:02 PM

The paint and coatings are not so great either. There are " wear spots" in lots of places way too soon for a 5 month old bike.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 12:55 AM

The new Street Rod 750 looks sweet!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock59 View Post
The new Street Rod 750 looks sweet!
If your getting a harley dont get a Street Rod.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 06:58 AM

Garage
I like rust, it adds character!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 12:56 PM

I'm not entirely surprised by this because it is a cheap bike but as long as its just light surface rust I wouldn't worry too much about it. But do keep us posted on how it progresses if it does.
Kenny G likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 04:13 AM

I bought mine on 4th July 2018, it has spent at most 2 hours in the rain since I bought it.

yesterday 18 August 2018 I found rust starting to appear around the bottom fork yolk, on the frame where the frame number is stamped, I also found it around the area where the lambda sensor fits into the catalytic convertor and also where the downpipes join the catalytic convertor.

This does not appear to be an isolated issue as there are at least 4 other owners on here who have reported the same issues.

The bike has had two good coatings of GT85 since I bought it, it is kept under a waterproof cover when not in use and the cover is never put on when the bike is wet.

Now given that my bike has been on the road for six weeks and seen at the most three days of rain these rust issues are pretty bad.

I spoke to Honda UK yesterday and have raised a complaint as the bike is obviously not fit for purpose in the UK and unless these issues are fixed to my satisfaction I will be starting legal proceedings under the sale of goods act to recover the full cost of the motorcycle and any add ons I bought.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Most of the fasteners used on the Rebel are of the lowest quality possible. The Button Head Allen Head machine screws are certainly of inferior quality. I bet they cannot sell the Rebels as made in Thailand in their own country of Japan.

Buy a Harley if you want good fasteners.

Kenny G

Kenny
I donít doubt what you say about the fasteners, but strangely enoughĒ I have zero rust on my Rebel other than the exhaust paint discolouring from burn off & Iíve had mine since May last year. Itís seen some rain too but generally donít ride in it.

On the flip side, Itís so humid here that all my tools had rusted up all within the first year I came to live here, both hand and electric.
Kenny G likes this.

Twizz
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:33 AM

With respect, just look at the state of the plastic radiator cover. This bike has hardly been fastidiously cleaned, more likely it has been 'used'.

Now I've never bought into the 'Honda quality' mantra, far from it, but I'm prepared to cut them some slack here. If you use your bike and want a showroom shine, you've got to put in the hard, repetitive work. You cannot leave things to chance.

I admit that I've not put loads of miles on my Rebel since purchase late last September, but the dreadful weather during the winter here, meant that it stayed in the shed well into April. Nevertheless, it now has well over 2000 miles on it and I'm pleased to suggest that it looks better than when it left the showroom. Yes, I've adopted a strict cleaning and protection regime. It's the only way to have a fighting chance of keeping things at their best.

With regard to 'legal proceedings'... good luck with that!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page