Adjusting shift lever height - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By CueBaller
  • 2 Post By JimInOz
  • 2 Post By JimInOz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Adjusting shift lever height

Hey guys, this may be a long shot but hopefully someone will have an answer. I've tried to adjust the shift lever height on my Rebel but every time I re-tighten the bolt and take it for a test drive it seems like it doesn't want to shift/skip gears, or gets stuck in neautral. Does anyone have any guidance for a newbie?!
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the forum!

Twizz
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Only thing I can think is that by rotating the lever, you're also tightening/loosening the cable causing it to not work correctly.

Set the angle where you want it, then follow the instructions in the manual to adjust the cable tension.

And welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Kenny G likes this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 02:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_bits View Post
Hey guys, this may be a long shot but hopefully someone will have an answer. I've tried to adjust the shift lever height on my Rebel but every time I re-tighten the bolt and take it for a test drive it seems like it doesn't want to shift/skip gears, or gets stuck in neautral. Does anyone have any guidance for a newbie?!
It sounds like you are changing the position of the gearshift arm on the selector shaft. If you do this and get the angle wrong it could introduce shifting problems. The ideal angle between the gearshift arm and the tie rod is about 90. If you increase or decrease the angle too much you change the amount of available "shift movement".

I suggest setting the arm back on the shaft in the original position and then using the adjusting function on each end of the tie rod to raise or lower the pedal. Note that the top nut is a LH thread so you have to "tighten it" to loose it.

As Cueballer said, you also need to ensure that your clutch is correctly adjusted to give your clutch lever about 10mm of freeplay.

Good Luck with it.

Cheers

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear_Linkage1.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	8497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear_Linkage2.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	8505  
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.

Last edited by JimInOz; 09-12-2017 at 02:10 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:20 AM

Ahh, I think I misread the OP... thought he was changing the angle of the clutch lever (left hand).

Incidentally, I also raised my shift lever by adjusting the gearshift arm on tbe selector shaft by one notch, but haven't had any issues... I didn't realize that was the incorrect way to do it, though.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black

Last edited by CueBaller; 09-12-2017 at 08:25 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
Ahh, I think I misread the OP... thought he was changing the angle of the clutch lever (left hand).

Incidentally, I also raised my shift lever by adjusting the gearshift arm on tbe selector shaft by one notch, but haven't had any issues... I didn't realize that was the incorrect way to do it, though.

It's not actually incorrect, I used to do it on my single lever shifts. I usually dropped the lever down by one notch.

With the tie rod linkages, one notch too much either way can be balanced out by fine tuning with the tie rod.

It's when you change the angle too much that the up down of the toe piece isn't transmitted properly to an equivalent movement of the gearshift arm.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page