Losing power temporarily - Page 4 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanielCatch View Post
I rode a full 15 miles with no problems after opening the cap and letting air in. I have refilled the tank completely full and closed it again to see if I can replicate. No time to ride till tomorrow though so my conclusion will have to wait.

On a side note I have talked to two other people with different bikes who have experienced this and the problem was suction/vacuum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure it happens. Most often on bikes that have been modified from original. I'm still not convinced that it's the problem with your bike. Let us know what you find out.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 11:46 AM

Garage
Check under your seat. Maybe the manual or registration or whatever you have under there is clogging that breather snorkel (or what's it). I only mention this because it happened to me like a week after I got the bike. My idiot self was like, "I'll just keep the registration here, never mind that hole, what could go wrong?" Luckily thought of it when I experienced power cutting out at higher speeds and sure enough that bag was sucked down in that snorkel. Dolt.
Kenny G likes this.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangrot View Post
Unfortunately I do not have the pictures, I gave my bike to the Honda shop they were the ones who found it. It was all free because the bike is still under warranty.

If someone here has a service manual maybe they can lookup the fuel injector connectors.
I have a question about the US Honda warranty actually. I, of course, have the stock standard 1 year, but also opted for the extended 3 year warranty. Now, I've removed the fender and replaced the taillight. Have my standard and extended warranty both been voided? Is there a point to paying for the extended at this point? I plan to ask the dealership, but don't want to be flagged before inquiring elsewhere first!
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Nathaniel,

Try blowing air through the vent hose to see if it is clogged, and you can probably blow air through the vent outlet on the underside of the tank to see if it is clogged.

Kenny G
The hoses near the kickstand have nothing to do with the interior of the tank. There is one drain hole in the tank filler area that allows spilled fuel and water that gets through the keyhole to drain away. The other hoses are for crankcase breather, battery box drain and coolant overflow drain.

There should be a line going from under the tank to the evaporation canister. If you overfill the tank it's possible that there may be fuel in the evap canister. Or you may have a kink or restriction in the evap canister line.

I don't know if the 500/300 evap canister is solenoid controlled but that may also be a cause if the problem with your bike is fuel starvation.

I'd get it to the dealer and have them sort it out.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Jim
Kenny G likes this.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So far no problems. Maybe some water in the line? Air? I have no idea but it he problem seems to have sorted itself out. Thanks everyone for the information and if anything else comes up I'll let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.

Nathanielcatch
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 03:07 AM

Hey i have a 2017 Honda rebel and i had the same problems. When you turn the key you will hear your fuel injectors prime. It is a very loud noise coming from the tank. Never start your bike before this noise and you shouldn't have this problem again.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:06 PM

Did you get this resolved? My 2018 Rebel 500 has only 3700 miles on it and has begun doing this. The shop cannot seem to replicate it (it has been there twice and runs PERFECT when they have it) . Its scary as **** when it does it on a curve at 45-50 mph.

I tried to watch your video and upload it to show them but it says I cannot watch it . Is there any way you can send me the video either by email, Youtube link, Facebook messenger, anything?? I am pulling my hair out here.

Thank you!
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:25 PM

Sheduntno - I just dropped my 500 off for the same issue.. mine would sputter and then sometimes stall out. THe shop couldnt replicate it either. I am seeing that a lot of people needing to charge the battery all the way. I am assuming when i dropped my bike off at the shop, that they would have hooked it up to a trickle charger or something.. when i get my bike back, i am going to make sure i charge up the battery once a week or so.. if you get an answer from anyone with your bike, can you let me know what the issue was? thank you!
Kenny G likes this.

Rebellion 500
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:51 PM

Hmmmm.... seems to be an ongoing issue with a lot of our bikes. Iím assuming that all are 500ís? Mine does the same as yíalls. It only happens to me on warm days and after itís been sitting a while or over night. Since itís not an isolated incident, does anyone know if Honda has a recall of any sorts on our issue?
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:10 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccdriver500 View Post
Sheduntno - I just dropped my 500 off for the same issue.. mine would sputter and then sometimes stall out. THe shop couldnt replicate it either. I am seeing that a lot of people needing to charge the battery all the way. I am assuming when i dropped my bike off at the shop, that they would have hooked it up to a trickle charger or something.. when i get my bike back, i am going to make sure i charge up the battery once a week or so.. if you get an answer from anyone with your bike, can you let me know what the issue was? thank you!
You may want to consider a Battery Tender.
It only takes a minute to couple it to the bike.
I put my Rebel 500 on a Tender every time that I am finished riding and have never had any of the issues as described above in 12,000+ miles.

Kenny G
Robble10 and Pogiboy11 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page