Rebel 500 - ticking sound at mid to high RPM - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Rebel 500 - ticking sound at mid to high RPM

Hi all, I have a 6 weeks old rebel 500, with 1600km, after a 1000km run in and service done at the dealership as per manual.

In the past week or so, I noticed ticks coming from the engine area in mid to high RPM, when driving.

These ticks are not audible when revving the engine in neutral, and increase or decrease in rhythm in sync with engine RPM, when the bike is moving.

I did ask a mechanic I trust and he said he didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, but I do wonder if this is normal or not.

Since this is my first bike, I have no basis for comparison.

Hopefully someone here can shed some light.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If it is something mechanical with the engine then my bet would have to be the gearbox, since the sound isn't present when just reving the engine.
Could you give a description of the ticks? What do they sound like, metal on metal? Or softer? How fast does it tick? Is there a pattern/rhythm to the ticks? Does it ever change any pattern/rhythm? Is it consistent regardless of wich gear you are in?
Be as spesific as you can, the more details the better.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:32 PM

He did say they increase/decrease with the RPMs.

I'd guess it's likely just the sound of a smaller engine, compared to the majority of crotch rockets and big cruisers out on the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

The ticks sound like soft metal on metal - the closest i can compare it to is the sound of a playing card, flicking on bicycle wheel spokes.

The ticks increase or decrease in rhythm as I drive, regardless of the gear I'm in and completely disappear if I press the clutch or am standing in neutral. So for example, I'm driving in 3rd, approaching a traffic light, pressing the clutch as i slow the bike down - As long as the clutch is not engaged, the ticks are audible and increase / decrease in speed as the engine revs up / down. When i press the clutch and let go of the throttle, the ticks disappear. When I start driving again, they appear, increasing in speed as i rev up. Since it's hard hearing them due to wind noise over a certain speed, I cannot say for sure if they persist in higher speeds / RPM.

Their rhythm does appear to be correlated to that of the engine, rather than wheels. They are always consistent in loudness.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I should take the bike to the dealership for a quick check and how urgent is the problem if it is indeed a problem.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:51 PM

Shouldn't cost much just to have the dealer check it out if you're worried about it.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Better safe than sorry I'd say. Little strange that your buddy says nothing is wrong thou. But if your gut feeling says something is wrong then better to have the dealer check it out. That way you'll be able to sleep better at night :P
Kenny G likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Roger that - thanks, that's what i'll do first thing tomorrow morning. Shouldn't cost anything as the bike is under warranty.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 03:36 PM

The repair (if necessary) shouldn't cost anything, but if they don't find anything wrong, they may charge you for the visit.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 06:16 PM

It seems the "clicking sounds" you hear happens when your engine is under load between mid to high RPMs when riding. Have you considered that it may be engine "pinging" maybe because of the quality of the gasoline or inducing too much load (try shifting to the next lower gear)?

Try using higher octane fuel and/or shifting down a gear and see if your issue is still there.

Just a suggestion as I occasionally ride our Rebel hard, but never encountered the pinging sounds you describe.

Good luck.
FLrebel likes this.

Benggolf
2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
2016 Can-Am Spyder F3T
2016 Indian Scout
2014 Can-Am Spyder RTL
2014 Honda 300 Forza
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
It seems the "clicking sounds" you hear happens when your engine is under load between mid to high RPMs when riding. Have you considered that it may be engine "pinging" maybe because of the quality of the gasoline or inducing too much load (try shifting to the next lower gear)?

Try using higher octane fuel and/or shifting down a gear and see if your issue is still there.

Just a suggestion as I occasionally ride our Rebel hard, but never encountered the pinging sounds you describe.

Good luck.
I don't think it's a load issue - the clicking is audible even under relaxed riding style with fast gear shifts and lower RPM. As for gasoline quality, we only have 95 octane as an option, so it's a no go.

I'll visit the dealership today and have them take a look
Kenny G likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page