No running lights - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

No running lights

I was driving my 300 last night, nothing strange, just finished a mountain ride and was in the dark when seemingly out of nowhere, my headlight turned off. Flashed the brights, those are working fine, but my regular light won't turn on. I had to finish the ride with my brights on, and when I got home I turned the bike off and on again, didn't change anything.
Anybody have any ideas as to why that would have just gone out? I haven't had a chance to pull anything apart to see if the bulb needs to be replaced, and I haven't left the bike with the key in it, so it's not an issue of low battery. I'm not even sure I should try to pull it apart or if I should just take it back to the dealer to have it checked out. I'm just over the first 500 mile mark so it hasn't been in for its checkup yet. This is my first bike! Help!
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:39 PM

Garage
KR,

Since it is your first bike, and you are due for the 600 mile checkup, it is probably wise to have the dealer's technicians look it over and correct the situation for you.

When you pick up your Rebel ask what the found and corrected.

Good Luck,

Kenny G
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
loose wire - I'd bet

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
loose wire - I'd bet
Not sure if that is possibly since its only one connector for high and low, it's possible the filament in the low beam went bad or broke off.
Lyoko and rebelwithoutacause like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
KR,

Since it is your first bike, and you are due for the 600 mile checkup, it is probably wise to have the dealer's technicians look it over and correct the situation for you.

When you pick up your Rebel ask what the found and corrected.

Good Luck,

Kenny G
I agree, besides that what the warranty is for.
Good luck.
Kenny G likes this.

Benggolf
2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
2016 Can-Am Spyder F3T
2016 Indian Scout
2014 Can-Am Spyder RTL
2014 Honda 300 Forza
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Seems it may just be a faulty bulb, since the low and high beam don't share the same "strings" that light up.
It would take you no longer than 2 min even to check it, quite simple.
2 bolts holding the cover in place, you can remove those with the same allen key used to remove the seat, and that's the only tool you need.
Havn't had the bulb out myself yet, but most likely you just pull the connector straight backwards to get it off, and a pin holding the bulb in place, loosen that and just take it straight out.
Easy peasy.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:48 PM

Yep, there's a retaining/tension pin that you slide out from underneath a bracket, then the whole thing swings out of the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Lyoko and FLrebel like this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:26 AM

Garage
Let us know what the outcome is!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

I tried to pull the dang thing off, and I can only get one of the bolts off. The other one is way too tight, I'm worried I'm going to snap the allen wrench or break the bolt. I'll be calling the dealer today to set up an appointment, I was still trying to decide if I should even bother having the dealer do the first service or if I should do it myself and save $100. Hopefully this crap will be covered under the warranty, I haven't checked in the owner's manual and can't find much info online about what is covered.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRCarCar View Post
I tried to pull the dang thing off, and I can only get one of the bolts off. The other one is way too tight, I'm worried I'm going to snap the allen wrench or break the bolt. I'll be calling the dealer today to set up an appointment, I was still trying to decide if I should even bother having the dealer do the first service or if I should do it myself and save $100. Hopefully this crap will be covered under the warranty, I haven't checked in the owner's manual and can't find much info online about what is covered.
Just check with the dealer what the warranty covers, they'll have the answers.

It seems many are finding different nuts and bolt on the bike to be extremly well screwed in place. So some easy tapping with a hammer on the allen wrench might help.
And in general, just apply some force, let go, apply force, etc, etc, most times it will eventually come loose, just give it some time. But don't give it your full 100% force, don't wanna break anything, so nice and easy.
Kenny G and trock59 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page