Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

No running lights

12K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  jimsrebel300 
#1 ·
I was driving my 300 last night, nothing strange, just finished a mountain ride and was in the dark when seemingly out of nowhere, my headlight turned off. Flashed the brights, those are working fine, but my regular light won't turn on. I had to finish the ride with my brights on, and when I got home I turned the bike off and on again, didn't change anything.
Anybody have any ideas as to why that would have just gone out? I haven't had a chance to pull anything apart to see if the bulb needs to be replaced, and I haven't left the bike with the key in it, so it's not an issue of low battery. I'm not even sure I should try to pull it apart or if I should just take it back to the dealer to have it checked out. I'm just over the first 500 mile mark so it hasn't been in for its checkup yet. This is my first bike! Help!

#2 ·
KR,

Since it is your first bike, and you are due for the 600 mile checkup, it is probably wise to have the dealer's technicians look it over and correct the situation for you.

When you pick up your Rebel ask what the found and corrected.

Good Luck,

Kenny G

#6 ·
Seems it may just be a faulty bulb, since the low and high beam don't share the same "strings" that light up.
It would take you no longer than 2 min even to check it, quite simple.
2 bolts holding the cover in place, you can remove those with the same allen key used to remove the seat, and that's the only tool you need.
Havn't had the bulb out myself yet, but most likely you just pull the connector straight backwards to get it off, and a pin holding the bulb in place, loosen that and just take it straight out.
Easy peasy.

#9 ·
I tried to pull the dang thing off, and I can only get one of the bolts off. The other one is way too tight, I'm worried I'm going to snap the allen wrench or break the bolt. I'll be calling the dealer today to set up an appointment, I was still trying to decide if I should even bother having the dealer do the first service or if I should do it myself and save $100. Hopefully this crap will be covered under the warranty, I haven't checked in the owner's manual and can't find much info online about what is covered.

#10 ·
Just check with the dealer what the warranty covers, they'll have the answers.

It seems many are finding different nuts and bolt on the bike to be extremly well screwed in place. So some easy tapping with a hammer on the allen wrench might help.
And in general, just apply some force, let go, apply force, etc, etc, most times it will eventually come loose, just give it some time. But don't give it your full 100% force, don't wanna break anything, so nice and easy.

#11 ·
I called my dealer, they told me to just swing by so they could pop off the housing and check the light. When I got there that guy was gone, and the doofus I was left with said they wouldn't touch the bike unless I signed the "if we touch anything you have to pay for it" paperwork and left it overnight for diagnostics. I left it and they called me a day and a half later, said the bulb had gone out, and it was covered under the warranty so there was no charge. When I looked at the invoice, they billed Honda for 1/10 of an hour... So it took them 5 minutes.

If any of you end up in Utah for any reason... Steer clear of Monarch Honda in Orem, UT. They are the literal worst.

#13 ·
Based on supposed specs (I don't own one yet) it can't be a burned out filament as it's supposed to be LED headlights. However, my experience with LED lights in automotive seems to be not so much the LED but the voltage dropping circuit built into the "bulb" assy as LEDs can't run off 12V, they operate at much lower voltage (in the area of 5V?) but it's strange because I'm assuming these bikes and components are made in Japan. I know the Chinese-made LED bulbs for cars are notorious for lasting only a few months; the incandescent original bulbs often outlast them. That's why I NEVER buy anything Chinese if I have a choice (unfortunately, some products you want are only made by Chinese; even Korean stuff is a little better.)

#15 ·
I am assuming the same thing happened to mine. I took it out in Sept during a warm spell and when I started the bike I was confused wondering why it was so dark ( underground garage) and then I realized the low beam light was out. So i road the night with high beams. It has been sub freezing temps since, I plan on replacing it with LED this spring.

#16 ·
Mine went out yesterday after only a month of riding. Seems as if Honda got a deal on some shitty bulbs! Good news is, as others have stated, warranty covered the swap. Not that changing a bulb is that tough, it's the principle of the whole thing. I didn't notice my light was out until 5 A.M. as I was headed off for work. Luckily the high beam was unaffected so that's how I rode in. Stopped by the dealer on the way home and was out of there in about 15 min.

#21 ·
I have a similar problem, No running lights, no brake light. Front headlight, Front running lights & front turn signals all work.
I paid 50 bucks for a Helm, inc. Honda Rebel Service Manual which has NO fuse guide, Fuse location or Fuse chart, No wire harness diagram or layout as well

I DID check every fuse and none bad. Service manual also doesn't show where the relay location is as well

STUCK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.