Speedo defect - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 65Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Twizzian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Thailand
Posts: 949
Garage
Speedo defect

Do any of you guys have any strange scratch like marks on your displays?

Today I was told about a common defect on the display. Where I live there are many owners with this problem.
Honda has acknowledged the defect and will replace the complete speedo, but not yet had any reports from export markets of the "Ripple" as they call it.
Obviously the new speedo would be at 0miles, so I was advised by other owners to clock up a few before contacting Honda.


Mine and a friend already have this small defect shown in the pic. Easier to see when the display is illuminated.
It apparently does get worse.
I've seen other pics more serious than mine like the one below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5535.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	3161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5536.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	3169  
trock59, Mr Jay Blaze and mrded like this.
Twizzian is offline  
post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 07:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizzian View Post
Do any of you guys have any strange scratch like marks on your displays?



Today I was told about a common defect on the display. Where I live there are many owners with this problem.

Honda has acknowledged the defect and will replace the complete speedo, but not yet had any reports from export markets of the "Ripple" as they call it.

Obviously the new speedo would be at 0miles, so I was advised by other owners to clock up a few before contacting Honda.





Mine and a friend already have this small defect shown in the pic. Easier to see when the display is illuminated.

It apparently does get worse.

I've seen other pics more serious than mine like the one below.


I noticed I had some condensation under the lens on my speedo one day that concerned me. I'll have to look more carefully to see if I these markings.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twosteptortuga is offline  
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
 
RebelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 192
Garage
My wife noticed the same issue with hers a few days ago. She has yet to contact the dealership about it.
RebelRider is offline  
post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Kenny G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Robson Ranch, Denton, TX USA 2017 Rebel 500
Posts: 1,329
Garage
Twizzian,

I have not yet noticed the speedometer defect, but I appreciate knowing to keep an eye on it.

Thank you.

Kenny G
Twizzian likes this.
Kenny G is offline  
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Twizzian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Thailand
Posts: 949
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRider View Post
My wife noticed the same issue with hers a few days ago. She has yet to contact the dealership about it.
In that case, must be a very large batch of faulty speedos if it's gone overseas too. Ok
Assuming you are in the USA?
Twizzian is offline  
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Twizzian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Thailand
Posts: 949
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twosteptortuga View Post
I noticed I had some condensation under the lens on my speedo one day that concerned me. I'll have to look more carefully to see if I these markings.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe that could be the start of it, as people have complained about rain getting inside.
Having said that Honda has not yet said what the cause is or why it's happening.
Twizzian is offline  
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizzian View Post
I believe that could be the start of it, as people have complained about rain getting inside.

Having said that Honda has not yet said what the cause is or why it's happening.


Yes, it happened a day after I rode home and had been caught in a typical Florida rain shower.

Hrm...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twosteptortuga is offline  
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 10:22 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Mine does it intermittently. Never seen rain or water near the speedo. Seems to move around to different spots. Very minor. If it stays that way, I am not going to be concerned.
smitty07 is offline  
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
CueBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 713
Could it be a pressure issue?

Pushing too hard on the button, too much pressure when cleaning the display, etc?

I haven't had this issue on mine, but I have an LCD display on my treadmill that does something similar... it's very pressure sensitive, and shows something similar when changing speeds, incline, etc, though it fades back to normal after a short time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
CueBaller is offline  
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
RebelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 192
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizzian View Post
In that case, must be a very large batch of faulty speedos if it's gone overseas too. Ok
Assuming you are in the USA?
Canada. Hers hasn't been out in the rain and hasn't been washed.
RebelRider is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome