Side covers falling off - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Side covers falling off

It happened to me today on the highway. Got to work, jumped off my 300 and the left side panel was GONE. I've read that it was a concern. Folks, make sure your covers are in there securely!
Looks like I'm calling my dealer and possibly Honda USA today.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:04 PM

Yep, happened to me the second day of ownership. Surprisingly the new one hasn't fallen off, but still feels "loose".
Old 07-06-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Did Honda replace it for free? I called them today and the CS rep said to go through my dealer but that they probably weren't going to "cover" it.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:19 PM

Nope, they didn't cover it.
First reason they couldn't cover it is because technically it was on the bike at the time of purchase, so they're not liable for it falling off.
Second reason was they couldn't find the part number in their system (this was about a month and a half ago).

I found it myself online from https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/c/honda/parts it was cheap, so I didn't make a big fuss over it.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:47 PM

I know a few people have had this issue, but I really don't see how they can fall off on their own if they are properly installed.

On mine, anyway, there is a sort of positive "click" when they are properly seated... on both prongs and the tab... Line it up... push the prongs/tab into their respective holes... then give a firm push directly on each, and you can feel it "click" into place. They're actually kindof a pain in the butt to remove on purpose, if you ask me lol.
Lyoko likes this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
Old 07-06-2017, 03:27 PM

The right side (passenger side) cover clicks into place no problem.
For some reason the left cover doesn't click in, it just kinda sits in there and held in place by the pressure around the prongs, which isn't much.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
I know a few people have had this issue, but I really don't see how they can fall off on their own if they are properly installed.

On mine, anyway, there is a sort of positive "click" when they are properly seated... on both prongs and the tab... Line it up... push the prongs/tab into their respective holes... then give a firm push directly on each, and you can feel it "click" into place. They're actually kindof a pain in the butt to remove on purpose, if you ask me lol.
I am curious if this is only a problem on the the 300. I have the 500 and after reading about it here a while ago I always check but they never seem loose at all. And it seems the only people who have had the problem have 300s. It could be that vibration due to the single cylinder engine is causing them to vibrate out.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
I am curious if this is only a problem on the the 300. I have the 500 and after reading about it here a while ago I always check but they never seem loose at all. And it seems the only people who have had the problem have 300s. It could be that vibration due to the single cylinder engine is causing them to vibrate out.
so far, knock on wood, I haven't had this issue with my 300. I did notice shortly after I bought the bike one of the panels was slightly loose. When I pulled it off, the rubber stopped thing that the panel presses into was squashed/ misaligned, so the panel wasn't fully secured. Fixed the rubber piece, and had no issues sense.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:08 PM

Garage
Thanks for the link to Babbitts!
dollarbill181 likes this.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Can confirm. Just 300s

Fred Doug