acting odd - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

acting odd

since the second day of owning this bike it will lug in first and second gear. the engine turns off and the clutch wont respond when pulled all the way down. once i get it to 3rd or 4th gear it acts normal but i dont want to destroy it. it thought it was just me but my brother road it today and it happened to him
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:59 PM

What do you mean won't respond? Like if in gear it won't cut the power to the drive or you just can't engage/disengage a gear when clutching in? (I know you can shift without clutching, but does it feel stiff or does it jam is what I mean).

Maybe the bike is stalling out and acting out because of a bad clutch/gear assembly altogether. You may need to get your clutch replaced, which isn't as big a job as it sounds. How many miles on it?

100% don't wait on this and take it in...I wouldn't ride on this bike, it could kill you!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

22 miles on it. and i cant change the gear at all when i pull the clutch all the way in, i have to search the spot just to get it in first.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzy6879 View Post
22 miles on it. and i cant change the gear at all when i pull the clutch all the way in, i have to search the spot just to get it in first.
I know sometimes it's hard to get out of neutral and into first from a dead stop. You have to not clutch in (while in neutral) and roll the bike forward or backward a bit then clutch in and tap down to first.

As for first to second and so on, if it's still giving you a hard time getting in 2 from first with clutch all the way in, then that's definitely something else going on. When exactly does it shut off? first and second all the way into third? Or just first and trying to get into second?

Maybe there's a problem with the kickstand...might be loose and the sensor is tripping to shut off the engine thinking the stand is down. But if you're struggling all the way through, maybe the clutch wire needs to be adjusted to the right tightness as it's not pulling enough to disengage from the drive properly. Could be something as simple, or a bad clutch assembly altogether (unlikely at 22 miles though) you never know. Either way, don't try your luck on the street with it...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:20 PM

May need to adjust your clutch play or just bring it to the dealer so not to screw things up and void your warranty
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:40 PM

Garage
Bring it back to the dealer. Don't mess with it.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

yeah im calling them tomorrow
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

it turns off in 1st 2nd and 3rd. i plan to have them pick it up so they can figure it out

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page