Fuel Pump Running Constantly - Is this normal? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Fuel Pump Running Constantly - Is this normal?

Hi Forum - During my starting routine previously, I found that once I turned the key, turned on electrical, my fuel pump would engage/prime creating a noise and then stop. At that I'm I'd fire the bike up.

I'm now finding when I fire the bike up that the fuel pump noise returns and runs constantly. When I'm sitting on the bike I can hear it loudly and when I place my ear to the tank it is identical to the fuel pump noise when starting up.

Is this normal and just a noise I didn't notice before or could I have issues with my pump, relay, or filter?

I recently changed to LED lights but didn't change the relay, not sure if there's any correlation but I didn't notice this immediately after changing them.. Seems to have just started all of a sudden.

[email protected]
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:24 AM

So with fuel injection the fuel must be pressurized so that it can be sprayed from the injectors when needed.
At start up the pump will bring the pressure up and stop UNTIL the engine is started.
Then it has to run to keep the pressure up.
Always on is normal.
IF the noise is loud that may be a problem, unless your just focused and hearing it and its nothing.
Also if you experience any running issues that are new then yea a pump problems.
Kenny G and dsctr3 like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:05 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdock View Post
So with fuel injection the fuel must be pressurized so that it can be sprayed from the injectors when needed.
At start up the pump will bring the pressure up and stop UNTIL the engine is started.
Then it has to run to keep the pressure up.
Always on is normal.
IF the noise is loud that may be a problem, unless your just focused and hearing it and its nothing.
Also if you experience any running issues that are new then yea a pump problems.
I think you mis-understood his question—it was PRIOR to starting the bike. He used to turn the key allow the system to pressurize then start the bike. He is saying now that it isn’t pressurizing and stopping prior to ignition.

This is not normal, to me it means the system is NOT pressurizing correctly. Once the bike starts yes the pump runs non-stop....

Hope this helps to clarify.

Thanks!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
I think you mis-understood his question—it was PRIOR to starting the bike. He used to turn the key allow the system to pressurize then start the bike. He is saying now that it isn’t pressurizing and stopping prior to ignition.

This is not normal, to me it means the system is NOT pressurizing correctly. Once the bike starts yes the pump runs non-stop....

Thanks!

I think you're the one that misunderstood. Maybe re-read the OP.
Showmeguy66 likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:24 PM

His post -
"I'm now finding when I fire the bike up that the fuel pump noise returns and runs constantly. When I'm sitting on the bike I can hear it loudly and when I place my ear to the tank it is identical to the fuel pump noise when starting up."

To me "fire up" is start not turn the key on.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Pardon any confusion in my verbiage Jdock you are correct I meant fire up as in push start button not turn key. I'm thinking I might just be noticing a noise that for whatever reason I didn't pick up before. I'll keep an eye out for running issues and go from there. Thanks all!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post

Thanks!
Wow, just wow! Are you high? There are no words to describe this.

Hope this helps!

2017 CMX 500
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:13 PM

I really can't hear anything other than the TBR piercing my eardrums when I fire it up, but when it's just pre ignition, I hear the pump for approximately 3 seconds and it stops.

Something I do hear though despite the TBR is like a weird old style sewing machine type of constant noise that's always there when i twist the throttle. I was hearing that before the TBR with the stock exhaust too...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:23 AM
CDL

Earplugs will address all those unwanted sounds you hear but don't understand, just like turning up the radio in your car. Ride on.

2018 Rebel 500
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:49 PM

THIS -
"like a weird old style sewing machine type of constant noise"

IS exactly how it should sound.
It means the valves are adjusted and working fine.
When the noise goes away, gets quieter, then its time to adjust your valves.

Keep sewing !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page