Gearshift pedal question - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By toast
  • 1 Post By Kenny G
  • 1 Post By Kenny G

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Gearshift pedal question

Hi guys I just introduced myself in the new member section but for those who may not see it. Thanks to everyone on this site that’s taken time to post pictures of mods and answer questions. It’s been a wealth of knowledge.

Here’s my issue/question. I bought an 18 300 w/abs and 1900 miles on it about a month ago. It was pouring and I didn’t even have my permit yet so couldn’t take it out for a test. Bike was immaculate and owner said it was never dropped and there wasn’t a scratch on it. He had sent me a video of bike running and him on bike so I had no question it was ok. The next weekend took my msf course on their bike and finally got on the rebel last week. I immediately noticed the gearshift pedal was rough to move. As in it took a lot of force to move it up or down. Changing gears was a chore. Parked it and hit up this site as well as the internet for an answer. Couldn’t really find anything specific to my problem but I did find a YouTube vid from t-Rex racing there they show you how to change the shifter to theirs. That inspired me to pull mine off or at least see what happened. Btw, the slack on clutch seemed fine so I didn’t think that was the problem....

Anyway I started with the 5mm hex head screw that holds pedal to frame. It was torqued on pretty tight and once I cracked it a bit I could actually see the pedal move to where it was supposed to and it was freed up enough I could move it with my hand. I inspected the pedal and c joint hinges (for lack of real name) and nothing looked bent or warped. I put it back together and tightened everything up. Once I torqued down on the Allen key I could see a slight shift on that c joint linkage and it was back to being impossible to move. Maybe moved a centimeter. So I backed out the screw again and thought maybe the previous owner had moved the part on the other end to adjust pedal and didn’t reseat it all the way back. I loosened the set screw bolt on that and pushed it back all the way then tightened. Then I put screw back into frame and started tightening the pedal again. Same result, once I torqued the Allen key it froze again. Pulled the screw and looked at the washers. There are two once close to head of screw and one next to frame. One was silver and other was black. The black was closest to frame and had wear marks like you could see from the friction of trying to move gear pedal. It also seemed to me that the slightly bigger black washer should be closest to screw head so I very lightly greased both washers switched their position so the silver was against frame and black one was closest to head. I put some blue lock tight on screw and put it all back together except this time I didn’t torque it down. I put it just tight enough to keep it moving freely but not so tight it bound up again. Let it sit to set for 30 min and took it for a ride. Shifting was great and doesn’t seem like screw moved.

My question is this. Did I do right thing? Or should that screw be torqued tight as can be. If so I’m guessing I’ll have to replace pedal and linkage in that area as well....right?
Kenny G likes this.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:39 PM

Garage
Find a parts list and look at the shifter, I am thinking there is one too many washers on the bolt.

Kenny G
Odin likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I did that. Right amount of washers but can’t tell which is which and all parts on bike are on parts list....but did go back to bike after another ride and that screw was coming loose. Wasn’t even hand tight so that won’t solve my problem, can’t torque it down without it binding and making shifter stick.

Do you think maybe it does have a slight bend in it and that will fix it? End of day the pedal is $20 bucks so I’m not concerned about cost, I just don’t want it binding to the point changing gears becomes a safety issue.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:08 PM

Garage
Toast,

Before you order a new pedal do you have a hardware store near you that carries metric fasteners? Ace Hardware has a good selection.
Get a slightly longer bolt, maybe a a 50 mm and cut it off to about 46 mm. And then you should be able to tighten it and torque it down so it stays tight.

Kenny G
Odin likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page