Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Jet Engine like sound coming from tank?

9K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Noodle 
#1 ·
Just got my R300 about a month ago. Two weeks after riding, the engine would cut off every now and again while im driving to and from work. Along with that, the speedometer would jump numbers around like crazy. I figured it may be a loose battery terminal and tightening the terminals seemed to have fixed it. Now im hearing a strange "jet engine" like sound coming from the tank when i turn the bike on. This sound wasnt there before i tightened the terminals. Kinda of like a whirring sound. Im just wondering if this is normal for the bike? I have a day off in two weeks and ill be taking my bike to the dealer.

*First time bike owner

#5 ·
Thanks for replying guys.

@dollarbill the "whirring" sound it makes when i turn the key to on is different from the one "jet engine" like sound. The jet engine is low pitched and stays there until all throughout the ride until i park and turn off the bike.
@Odin the sound itself is similar. It comes on after i start the bike and it's coming from the tank. It wasnt there before (before i tightened the battery terminal).

do you guys hear this on your rebels?

#11 ·
That sound is the fuel pump and it's usually not of any concern as some are just loud. However, you said your bike was cutting out a few times which is worrisome. There could be something wrong with the pump itself, OR, one of the vents is clogged. I'd first try opening the gas cap, and try starting the bike leaving the gas tank open. (I don't even know if the Rebel will allow you to do this with all of their new safety features, but try it.) If the sound stops with the tank open like that, then you can say there's a clogged vent. If the sound continues, then it's the fuel pump, and if so, you may want to have it checked out. Had you not said your bike was cutting out periodically, I'd say don't worry about it. But being that you said that, it's probably worth it to get checked out as it sounds like your bike is starving for gas periodically which is not good.

#12 ·
I have a similar problem. I would not describe it exactly as a jet engine sound, but it is a low, coarse whirring (for lack of a better term) sound that builds as revs increase. Took it to the the dealership and they say they hear nothing, but I hear it loud and clear. The bike (300) has about 2400 miles and the sound is of recent origin. Any ideas as to what this is would be appreciated. I will continue to take it to the dealership until this is fixed, as the bike is still under warranty.

#18 ·
I just confirmed 100% not my radiator fan. I started the bike cold, fan still, revved the engine and the "whooshing" "whirring" increased with the RPM's of the bike. It sounds like air moving through a tight cavity similar to what you hear against a window pane on a windy day.

Does a fuel pump actually pump that nosily to be that audible?

#24 ·
This is an old post but I thought I'd post here anyway. Im a new rider and was practicing in a empty parking lot. My bike fell on its left side(I was practicing slow u-turns and hit the back brake too hard).
When I got the bike back up and turned it on, like the original poster, I heard a loud jet engine type of sound. It went away and I rode off.

When I got home, I parked, turned off the bike but kept hearing an intermittent whirring sound. Lasting about 10 seconds. I checked for any any other visible damage but found nothing. The sound just wouldn't go away.

Finally what I did was open the gas tank with my key and that did the trick. A lot of warm air come from the tank. Haven't heard the sound since. My clutch lever ball-tip is broken though. No other major damage :-(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.