Trying to install bar end mirrors, need help! - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Solux
  • 1 Post By NathanielCatch
  • 1 Post By Solux
  • 1 Post By Solux
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 24
Trying to install bar end mirrors, need help!

Hello I'm pretty new to motorcycle maintenance and been doing a few things to my bike. Like underglow, gear indicator, exhaust, etc. But I'm trying to install these bar end mirrors, and I'm just wondering if I'm doing this right?? I read people were drilling out the ends. I'm providing a picture, do I just need to continue to drill out the hole I started and open it up more? Also, I think some metal scraps from the drilling got in the throttle body or something, now the throttle is sticking. What can I do to fix this? Figured this was going to be an easy task. Turning out to be more complicated than I though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190108_142011.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	26969  
NathanielCatch likes this.
Solux is offline  
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Member
 
NathanielCatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Moab, UT
Posts: 99
Garage
Trying to install bar end mirrors, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solux View Post
Hello I'm pretty new to motorcycle maintenance and been doing a few things to my bike. Like underglow, gear indicator, exhaust, etc. But I'm trying to install these bar end mirrors, and I'm just wondering if I'm doing this right?? I read people were drilling out the ends. I'm providing a picture, do I just need to continue to drill out the hole I started and open it up more? Also, I think some metal scraps from the drilling got in the throttle body or something, now the throttle is sticking. What can I do to fix this? Figured this was going to be an easy task. Turning out to be more complicated than I though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Go watch my video. How to install bar end mirrors. Www.YouTube.com/archesmechanic


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Odin likes this.

Nathanielcatch
NathanielCatch is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanielCatch View Post
Go watch my video. How to install bar end mirrors. Www.YouTube.com/archesmechanic


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey man I've watched some of your videos already, didn't know you were on this forum. Cool. I'll go have a look now. Thank you for the fast response!
NathanielCatch likes this.
Solux is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:36 PM
Member
 
NathanielCatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Moab, UT
Posts: 99
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solux View Post
Hey man I've watched some of your videos already, didn't know you were on this forum. Cool. I'll go have a look now. Thank you for the fast response!


No problem. I try to help when I can. As for the throttle there is a plastic sheath that slides around the metal bar that moves. If the plastic is catching on the end it could cause sticky throttle. Also the plug in the end is about 1-1 1/2 inches thick. The drill bit will eventually get through.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathanielcatch
NathanielCatch is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 24
My bar end mirrors are a bit different than yours. The plug is pretty big on the end. Do I just need to drill out the whole end?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190108_143750.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	26971   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190108_143726.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	26973  
Solux is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanielCatch View Post
No problem. I try to help when I can. As for the throttle there is a plastic sheath that slides around the metal bar that moves. If the plastic is catching on the end it could cause sticky throttle. Also the plug in the end is about 1-1 1/2 inches thick. The drill bit will eventually get through.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay good to know I can get through the plug in the end, I kept drilling and was thinking, **** is it solid all the way through? lol So I guess I'll keep going at it, and just bore it out bigger to get my mirror in there.
NathanielCatch likes this.
Solux is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:56 AM
Member
 
NathanielCatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Moab, UT
Posts: 99
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solux View Post
My bar end mirrors are a bit different than yours. The plug is pretty big on the end. Do I just need to drill out the whole end?


So what it looks like to me is youíll take out the center core that the bolt is screwed into and just use the bolt and the mirror. Took me a minute to figure out on mine but it worked out. You CAN drill out the whole bar and use the core that expands but itís very hard to do. Sorry it took so long for a response. Been busy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathanielcatch
NathanielCatch is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Denali Sound Bomb horn install on Rebel 300 redpearl99 Accessories And Add Ons 4 09-20-2018 04:14 PM
blind spot mirrors? Rebelstonewalljackson Accessories And Add Ons 4 08-18-2018 02:17 PM
Rizoma mirrors Json_Blob Accessories And Add Ons 5 07-30-2018 10:21 PM
Bar End Mirrors Ryan500 Honda Rebel 300 & 500 General Discussion 5 07-07-2018 06:27 AM
Flipping Mirrors Under The Handlebars? Miller Appearance Modifications 21 04-24-2018 04:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome