Handlebars off by 2mm - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By C20f1989

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Handlebars off by 2mm

A few days ago my bike got knocked over while parked on the street. I picked it up and it looked like it had no damage so I went about my day. A few hours later I go to ride it and I notice the handle bars are about an inch or two off center (turned to the left), so I grip the front tire with my knees and twist the bars back into proper position. The bars are still off by about 2 or 3 millimeters and I cant move them any more. This isn't a massive issue, I was able to ride without a problem just the knowledge of it bugs the **** out of me. The forks are perfectly aligned and nothing else seems to be out of whack. What bolts would I have to loosen to get this back to perfect?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:56 AM

I had a similar issue with my shadow a couple of year ago.

I haven't checked on the rebel, but I assume it's the same. There should be two bolts (around 17mm) below the the risers under the top fork bridge. Loosen these and also loosen the bolts on the top of the risers.

Make sure that you tighten everything up just a touch and then tighten the top of the risers to make sure it's straight then tighten the bolts under the bridge. This should get them as straight as possible.

If this doesn't work it's new bars. But to be honest my shadow had about 2mm of difference and I rode that with out any issues.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 06:02 AM

I had the same problem. And they were put straight for me as you describe. I sometimes felt they were slightly off (they could well have been) but I continued with them 'no probs'.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I am going to try and loosen everything and reset one of these days, if that doesn't do I will probably just live with it. Thanks for the advice.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
I had a similar issue with my shadow a couple of year ago.

I haven't checked on the rebel, but I assume it's the same. There should be two bolts (around 17mm) below the the risers under the top fork bridge. Loosen these and also loosen the bolts on the top of the risers.

Make sure that you tighten everything up just a touch and then tighten the top of the risers to make sure it's straight then tighten the bolts under the bridge. This should get them as straight as possible.

If this doesn't work it's new bars. But to be honest my shadow had about 2mm of difference and I rode that with out any issues.

Thank you, I finally got around to doing this and it worked great.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C20f1989 View Post
Thank you, I finally got around to doing this and it worked great.
Glad it worked well buddy 👍🏻

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page