Getting stuck in gear - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Getting stuck in gear

So I'm riding along last night with my buddy, and we pull up to a stop light. Low and behold my bike gets stuck in like 4th gear and I can't get it to downshift. I am barely rolling so I hobble to the side, fiddle with the lever and it feels completely unhooked from the transmission, like the lever just swings freely but does return to center on its own (spring load is there). Again this morning riding to work I choose surface streets because that was a little unnerving last night and again I was crawling up to a light and it got stuck in neutral going down from 3rd to 1st. Had to shift up to 2nd then down again to 1st to get it to go through.

Am I doing something wrong with the downshift? Is this a sign something is wrong in the shift linkage? I briefly looked this morning and there's no rocks, sticks, stuck in there. The lever doesn't appear to be bottoming out on the frame ( I did adjust it at one point so pulling with my toe wasn't so awkward ) but the lever seems fine to my inexperienced eye. Any quick tips before scheduling a service to see what the heck is goin on? I do need to take it in anyways to get the Evap canister replaced for that recall thing... so maybe I should just have them check it.

Upshifting is just fine, no problems going up. Only happens going down.

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:56 AM

I encountered that a lot when I first started. There are two tricks, although what you mention with the lever is unfamiliar.

Downshift while rolling, not while stopped.

If stopped, let out the clutch until the gear sets, clutch in, downshift, let out until it sets, and repeat until in first.

Let me know if that helps. I haven't had issues since I got in the habit of downshifting to a light. I've never encountered this with other bikes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Json_Blob and Vulture916 like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:03 PM

I, too, have had this issue at very low speeds. Others have reported it here as well. As Sahnfara said, just make sure you're rolling at a decent speed and all should be good.
R80rt likes this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:11 PM

Agreed!

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:24 PM

Garage
I agree with the above but My concern would be if you have been riding the same way for thousands of miles and it hasenít been a problem why is it a problem now?

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Json_Blob View Post
So I'm riding along last night with my buddy, and we pull up to a stop light. Low and behold my bike gets stuck in like 4th gear and I can't get it to downshift. I am barely rolling so I hobble to the side, fiddle with the lever and it feels completely unhooked from the transmission, like the lever just swings freely but does return to center on its own (spring load is there). Again this morning riding to work I choose surface streets because that was a little unnerving last night and again I was crawling up to a light and it got stuck in neutral going down from 3rd to 1st. Had to shift up to 2nd then down again to 1st to get it to go through.

Am I doing something wrong with the downshift? Is this a sign something is wrong in the shift linkage? I briefly looked this morning and there's no rocks, sticks, stuck in there. The lever doesn't appear to be bottoming out on the frame ( I did adjust it at one point so pulling with my toe wasn't so awkward ) but the lever seems fine to my inexperienced eye. Any quick tips before scheduling a service to see what the heck is goin on? I do need to take it in anyways to get the Evap canister replaced for that recall thing... so maybe I should just have them check it.

Upshifting is just fine, no problems going up. Only happens going down.
The only problem i can think of is in your first paragraph where you say you pulled up to a stop light in 4th gear. You should be down shifting the bike during slow downs. The bike will not shift correctly when stopped. You may get it to shift a gear wheb stopped but it is supposed to be shifted while riding.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It is possible I shifted down too late. Maybe I should do it earlier. I started doing it later because I would sometimes go to 1st and then the light would go green and then i'd have to jump up through gears to get back to the speed i'm rolling at, figured I could eliminate some shifting if I did it later in the event the light goes green and I only have to shift down once or twice instead of down 4 and then up 2 to be in the right gear to go again.

2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
I agree with the above but My concern would be if you have been riding the same way for thousands of miles and it hasenít been a problem why is it a problem now?
Myself and the bike are brand new. The bike is just crossing 800 total miles in its lifetime. So far this gear sticking has only happened twice, once last night and this morning. So I was getting on top of the problem before it becomes "thousands of miles"

2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:43 PM

When approaching a stop...downshift, give a little throttle blip to match the revs, then let the clutch back out and use engine braking (plus actual brakes, as needed)... repeat until you're stopped or the light turns green.

This way, you're basically always in gear and ready to roll on the throttle if needed.

The only time I keep the clutch in is when downshifting to first, which is right before I come to a complete stop.
Json_Blob likes this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
What I meant to say is why did this problem develop now?
Json_Blob likes this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page