9Likes
  • 1 Post By Jskafff
  • 6 Post By CueBaller
  • 1 Post By Brocktoon
  • 1 Post By Ryan500

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Lurching

Just got a brand new 300. It lurches a bit in 1st gear. Is this something that will smooth out as it gets broken in? This is my first street bike. Had a dirt bike when I was younger and never spent much time in 1st gear. Also didn't have to worry about traffic. I live in a somewhat densely populated area which means a lot of time in stop and go traffic. Anyone else have similar issues?
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 01:54 AM

Garage
Brock,

Welcome to The Forum.......

Ride Safe & Keep The Shiny Side Up.......

At what speed are you shifting out of first gear into second gear?

Kenny G
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Lurching happens while in 1st, anytime I'm accelerating past 5mph or so. I like the idea of accelerating quickly out of traffic but the jump from 5mph to 12 to 15 mph before shifting to 2nd seems seems a little too jerky to me.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
Lurching happens while in 1st, anytime I'm accelerating past 5mph or so. I like the idea of accelerating quickly out of traffic but the jump from 5mph to 12 to 15 mph before shifting to 2nd seems seems a little too jerky to me.
Does it jerk even while holding the throttle steady? Or are you saying if you're barely moving at like 5mph and then you give it gas to accelerate it jerks? Mine does the same if I just give it gas from a slow speed like that. 1st gear is incredibly short on these bikes so it's easy get jerked around at low speeds like that. Took me a while to get used to it but I found you really have to roll on the throttle gradually to keep the acceleration smooth in first gear.
CGrazFL likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:12 AM

That's normal. I'm guessing you've never driven a manual gear car?

Jskaff said it perfectly. 1st gear is short, work on your throttle control and you can mitigate the lurching with practice.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:00 AM

Just my opinion, but on these bikes, the purpose of 1st gear is to get you to 2nd gear.

If traffic is slow enough that you need to stay in first gear, instead of just rolling off and on the throttle, squeeze the clutch and coast when you need to slow down... then rev just a bit and ease the clutch back out when it's time to "go" again.

That's much easier and smoother than trying to just maintain traffic flow while staying in 1st.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I've only had the bike a few days so still feeling it out. Never had to worry about slow speed riding on my dirt bike and never had a manual car so sounds like just something I need to get accustomed to.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:13 PM

You donīt had to pass a training to drive "normal" bikes?
@ manual cars: in Europe, where I am from, most motorists use manual cars. They donīt liked automatics until a couple of years ago: not sporty enough. In the meantime, automatics are more common. We have an automatic too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM

@CueBaller explained it already, but your clutch work is just as important as your throttle work.
My first time riding I assumed that I can just practice slow maneuver in first gear by playing with the throttle while leaving the clutch alone because I only needed to be in first gear.
The bike naturally jerked like crazy when I let off the throttle, but eventually I learned to hold in the clutch to cruise, slowly roll off the clutch and roll on the throttle to get up to speed.
Keep practicing your clutch work
Kenny G likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page