What to love or hate about the 2017+ Honda Rebel 300/500? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Thumbs up What to love or hate about the 2017+ Honda Rebel 300/500?

If you can share a few things about your ownership of the Honda Rebel 300/500, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one.
post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:01 PM

Being vertically challenged, I find that being able to flat-foot the bike and fits me ergonomically are the two biggest features why I bought the Rebel 500 ABS.

The timeless cruiser styling and Honda reliability are also what I like about it.

So far, I have not found anything that I really dislike about the bike.
rebelwithoutacause and Tree like this.

Benggolf
2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
2016 Can-Am Spyder F3T
2016 Indian Scout
2014 Can-Am Spyder RTL
2014 Honda 300 Forza
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:12 PM

Garage
Love the seat height, the 500 Engine, the look is so slick!

Hate the stock seat.

Shadow
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
As a old Rebel owner, I like how big this new Rebel looks.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
If you can share a few things about your ownership of the Honda Rebel 300/500, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one.

pro's - great ride overall. perfect size bike for my size. easy handling, easy maintenance.

con's - seat sucks. I got the 300, should of gotten the 500. almost all accessories in CANADA are on back order.signal lights, too cheap. their held on by rubber clamps, rubber wear's and warps over time, so they keep sagging down the forks. no gear indicator, no tach.

think that's it at the moment. lol.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
To be quite frank and honest, the Rebel wasn't my first choise, since I'®m really picky with how things look.
And for me the Rebel isn't actually a stunner, there is just too many things I want, and have, to change about it to get it to work for me. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice bike and all, but it didn't steal my heart when I first saw it. What I saw was a somewhat replacement for what I couldn't get my hands on...

The bike in the pics is the one I had set out to get. The problem however, and yes, before you google it, it is originaly from China, so the main problem was dealers with this bike in stock. Here in Norway there is only 1. That's it. And those mor*ons gave me a hard time getting answers to questions and such, and ended up never replying to me in the end. And no, I was never rude to them, so yeah.. I gave them the finger when they just stopped replying and then had to cast away this bike.
This kind of style is what I wanted, and I happend to come across the Rebel by accident. I really like the same size wheels at the front and back, and not a thin slim front wheel that sooo many bikes in the cruiser catagory has.
And I like the all around shape.
But for me, my heart still lies with the one in the pictures... For me it's more elegant, more smooth, more sleek.
The Rebel isn't quite as, well, any of that. It has some weird angles here and there, don't like the frame bit that goes around the seat, the gas thank is too steep, again with weird angles here and there, the exhaust is freaking huge and plain ugly, and let's not forget the whole backlight piece...
And for me it seems that many mainly like it only because of the seat hight? I can understand that. It isn't an issue for me thou at alost 1m 90 cm however, so I'm experiencing a slightly different problem, with being somewhat too long for this bike. My feets get a lot of strain with bending backwards/upwards all the time on the pegs, and it gets tiering.

And yes, before you comment it, reliability would most likely had become and issue with this other bike, with it being a China make and all. It is however made for a world marked, and hence needed to meet strick rules and such. But anyway.
Let's just say this, if I could have had the Rebel engine on it instead, I would have changed bike on the spot. Done.

The selling point for me about the Rebel was the similarity between them, even thou only somewhat in my eyes. But there literally isn't any other bikes out there with the same style/look to it, within my price range.
The fact that it's a Honda, well known brand.
The fact that the engine in it ain't new like the bike, so it's been tested and had it's run with sorting out issues and such with it.
And it was still within my spending range on a bike, althou the Rebel dragged the cost up a bit for me from what I was set out to pay.
So yeah..

I'm gonna guess.. no, I more of less know that I might be the one here that is the least pleased with the Rebel, with my heart lying elsewhere and all that.
So yeah, there ya have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	3322
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1657   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB2Yc.BnpXXXXalXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!58034661.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1665  
godlysoup and Roberto3 like this.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:32 PM

That is a nice looking bike.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:18 AM

Garage
I'm about 5'7" and weight about 270 lbs. Brand new owner and brand new biker. Definitely not intimidated riding the 300A. Might be if I was riding a 500 but I know myself well enough not to over estimate. I think for what I am looking for the 300A fits the bill perfectly. Plus if I ever need I probably am more then experience enough for something better.

Love:
- I can flat foot the bike due to it's 27" seat height.
- Comfortable seating position for a newbie with little motorcycle endurance
- Easy to maneuver in
- Sportier cruiser look of the bike

Hate:
- Too new for aftermarket support
- The large red brick of a back light
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:25 AM

Here's my list (300ABS):

Love:
- Overall "fit" of the bike. Feels like I'm sitting into the bike as opposed to on the bike, if that makes sense.
- Weight. It's nice to take sharp turns in a parking lot and not have to worry about dropping the bike. I'm 5'10 220lbs (I workout) and can manhandle this bike like it's a BMX bicycle.
- MPG!!! Let's not forget the most amazing aspect of the 300, 75+mpg! Seriously, this thing gets better gas mileage than my 150cc scooter. Mind...blown!
- Top speed so far I've seen 80 mph while still breaking in the motor. Highway travel around here is roughly 65-70 mph, so this can do it no problem.

Hate:
- Acceleration/Power. The downside is most cars at stop lights leave me in the dust unless I'm trying to gun it. Takes several shifts to get up to speed.
- Those guys in Thailand who keep teasing us in the USA w/ their plethora of available aftermarket parts.
shadow likes this.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 11:16 AM

First time bike owner. Got it the same weekend as my MSF course. I had been looking at the new Rebels online. I walked in to buy a used bike....but the CMS300ABS and CMX500ABS had just arrived a couple of days prior. Looked at the 300, looked great. Decided to get the bigger engine. Ended up with that. :-) Nice looking bike, not intimidating. Honda reliability. Decent power for a newbie.
Twizzian and shadow like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page