What to love or hate about the 2017+ Honda Rebel 300/500? - Page 6 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 05:29 PM

Just change the rear shock setting from 2 to 3... made a huge difference for me.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 05:46 PM

I have heard, this is because of environment regulations. The filler neck has to be as small as possible to hinder gas emissions to get out of it. Beyond the filler neck there are some filter systems to catch the emissions in the tank, so they can not escape in free air.
My older bikes had filler necks, so big you could look in the tank and see the whole surface of the gasoline.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodjr View Post
The 500 clutch cover is VERY intrusive and makes stops and right foot position a pain when riding.
It needed a little time, but I got used to this. In the beginning, I always bumped my shins on both pegs at stops. I have to place my feet a bit behind the footpegs at stops and it works smooth and good. So also the clutch housing is no more problem at stops.
When riding, i got used to a little asymetric seating position, left leg on the tank and right shin slightly on the exposed engine part. I think, they made the plastic cover over it to avoid the contact with hot engine parts in this position.
rebelwithoutacause likes this.
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstonewalljackson View Post
It needed a little time, but I got used to this. In the beginning, I always bumped my shins on both pegs at stops. I have to place my feet a bit behind the footpegs at stops and it works smooth and good. So also the clutch housing is no more problem at stops.
When riding, i got used to a little asymetric seating position, left leg on the tank and right shin slightly on the exposed engine part. I think, they made the plastic cover over it to avoid the contact with hot engine parts in this position.
I've seen the right knee issue mentioned a few times.
I'd prefer to ride with my right (and left) knee gripping the tank and find the original configuration a bit of an embuggerance.

I recall seeing a post from someone who made a bracked to move the right peg and brake pedal forward a couple of inches.
Does anyone remember where that post was ?

This is my first bike for quite a few years and I really like the bike.

Regards,

2017 CMX500A
New Zealand North Island.
I survived the 60's
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:16 PM

I'm coming from a Honda SilverWing 600 so here are my thoughts so far after 1 day and 75 total miles of riding:

I love the looks, it's tough looking, kinda resembles the HD 883. I like the riding position, very neutral and comfortable for me. I love that I can flat foot it and it seems to fit me just right at 5'10". The Swing was just a tiny bit cramped until I modified the seat. I've heard that the factory seat is hard and thin, the Corbin seat is comfy so far. I love the fat front tire, I caught the line from a bridge on the interstate and I think I may have gotten air. I love how fast it is, I have been riding a 250cc scooter since my Swing went away and passing on the highway with 20hp is very dicey. Yesterday on the Rebel a show horse trailer pulled out in front of me on the highway and I downshifted into 5th and flicked my wrist and boom I was past it and going 70. The air management seems extremely good, I have received very little buffeting so far, even when going over 85. (Interstate 840 around Nashville is Tennessee's Autobahn.) Not sure how the area of calm air right in front of my chest is created, some kind of design magic.

I wish there was a tach and gear indicator (I know everyone does.) I may need to add a gear light because I can't seem to count to 6 correctly, and I am very spoiled by CVTs. For the Tachometer I am really just curious how close I am to redline when accelerating but I don't really ride that way so I don't think it matters that much to me. I don't think I've come close to the rev limiter yet. I noticed the clutch cover on the right side intruding into my boot space, I will have to get used to that.

The biggest thing I miss is lack of storage, since it was so plentiful on the SilverWing. I'm not sure if a tail bag will work with the weird hump thing on the back of the Corbin seat. It's not for a passenger, and there's no rear pegs, so what is it for? Has anybody gotten a tank bag that works? Scooters don't have tanks so I have zero experience with them. I guess I see saddlebags in my future. For now I am using a Ogio zero drag backpack.

Thanks for reading, I'm enjoying the info on this forum so far. Thanks to all who contribute.
Duggle
Kenny G and Odin like this.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuggleBogey View Post
I'm coming from a Honda SilverWing 600 so here are my thoughts so far after 1 day and 75 total miles of riding:

I love the looks, it's tough looking, kinda resembles the HD 883. I like the riding position, very neutral and comfortable for me. I love that I can flat foot it and it seems to fit me just right at 5'10". The Swing was just a tiny bit cramped until I modified the seat. I've heard that the factory seat is hard and thin, the Corbin seat is comfy so far. I love the fat front tire, I caught the line from a bridge on the interstate and I think I may have gotten air. I love how fast it is, I have been riding a 250cc scooter since my Swing went away and passing on the highway with 20hp is very dicey. Yesterday on the Rebel a show horse trailer pulled out in front of me on the highway and I downshifted into 5th and flicked my wrist and boom I was past it and going 70. The air management seems extremely good, I have received very little buffeting so far, even when going over 85. (Interstate 840 around Nashville is Tennessee's Autobahn.) Not sure how the area of calm air right in front of my chest is created, some kind of design magic.

I wish there was a tach and gear indicator (I know everyone does.) I may need to add a gear light because I can't seem to count to 6 correctly, and I am very spoiled by CVTs. For the Tachometer I am really just curious how close I am to redline when accelerating but I don't really ride that way so I don't think it matters that much to me. I don't think I've come close to the rev limiter yet. I noticed the clutch cover on the right side intruding into my boot space, I will have to get used to that.

The biggest thing I miss is lack of storage, since it was so plentiful on the SilverWing. I'm not sure if a tail bag will work with the weird hump thing on the back of the Corbin seat. It's not for a passenger, and there's no rear pegs, so what is it for? Has anybody gotten a tank bag that works? Scooters don't have tanks so I have zero experience with them. I guess I see saddlebags in my future. For now I am using a Ogio zero drag backpack.

Thanks for reading, I'm enjoying the info on this forum so far. Thanks to all who contribute.
Duggle
you can get a fork bag and the side holster bags. I've never been a fan of the saddlebags but to each his own!

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:45 PM

I've never seen the side holster bags before but now that I've seen them in the accessories forum I want one!
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:25 PM

We have learned on here that the rev limiter is around 8,500rpm.
DuggleBogey likes this.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page