Immobilizer - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Question Immobilizer

I have a Rebel 500 ABS on order and am looking into insurance. One of the questions I am being asked is whether the bike is fitted with an immobilizer? I can't find any info on this so am assuming not. Could anybody confirm this for me please?

Thanks

Gill
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill T View Post
I have a Rebel 500 ABS on order and am looking into insurance. One of the questions I am being asked is whether the bike is fitted with an immobilizer? I can't find any info on this so am assuming not. Could anybody confirm this for me please?

Thanks

Gill
The bike does not come with an immobilizer on the bike as stock.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responce.

Much appreciated.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 06:10 PM

Garage
I don't even know what an immobilizer is.
Kenny G likes this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
I don't even know what an immobilizer is.
Generally they are a part of an alarm system, the immobilizer is what will prevent a motorcycles from starting/running, some will intentionally blow a fuse to prevent the bike from starting even if the alarm is removed.
longbeachgary likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 06:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
Generally they are a part of an alarm system, the immobilizer is what will prevent a motorcycles from starting/running, some will intentionally blow a fuse to prevent the bike from starting even if the alarm is removed.
Cool. Found some on Amazon. Who here has one?

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 07:10 PM

Garage
My insurance ran my bike as a Rebel 300 because he couldn't even find the CMX500AJ in his system. So maybe I saved a few bucks? Lol! They didn't ask me about an immobilizer, only asked if it had ABS.

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Json_Blob View Post
My insurance ran my bike as a Rebel 300 because he couldn't even find the CMX500AJ in his system. So maybe I saved a few bucks? Lol! They didn't ask me about an immobilizer, only asked if it had ABS.
Motorcycle insurance is generally calculated primarily by the amount of CC's the engine has (Rebel 500 has 471cc), where you live, driving history, where you work (usually in that order). If they have you down as a Rebel 300 and you crash your bike, they will only pay out for the right bike. I promise you that you won't win in that situation.

Didn't you give them the VIN number, I thought every insurance company could see the make/model from that alone, but you need to contact them and get your insurance right before you end up needing it or else you'll be screwed. Yes, you'll pay more. But at least then they'll cover costs if anything happens as it's the right bike, continue to pay for the wrong bike and your insurance won't be there for you when you need it most.

Last edited by Techsniffer; 04-05-2018 at 07:22 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:25 PM

Garage
Yep, I gave him VIN number and everything. He put a note on my account that the system didn't let him set the right bike. He even googled it trying to find the match in his system, super nice guy he was laughing "Here I am googling your motorcycle trying to find it in our system." and I could hear him typing over the phone. It could have been too new or something for the system since it was the 2018, he seems to only find the 2017's or something.
Kenny G likes this.

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Json_Blob View Post
Yep, I gave him VIN number and everything. He put a note on my account that the system didn't let him set the right bike. He even googled it trying to find the match in his system, super nice guy he was laughing "Here I am googling your motorcycle trying to find it in our system." and I could hear him typing over the phone. It could have been too new or something for the system since it was the 2018, he seems to only find the 2017's or something.
I would still call them back and get it sorted out, unless your coverage states 100% that your coverage is for a 2018 Honda Rebel 500 you will get screwed if you get into an accident. If they seriously can't find the right bike then it sounds like some scam **** and I'd find a new insurance company.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page