Turn signal woes - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Turn signal woes

So I finally got all four new led turn signals connected along with new flasher relay and the craziness began. I will try to explain what happens the best I can.

Just rear lights connected (no fronts):
Tail light running light is on, brake light works properly
No running light in either turn signal, turn signals work properly

All lights connected front and rear:
Tailight and brake light work properly
Running lights in both front and rear signals (which I don't believe there is supposed to be rear running)
Turn on either signal and all four signals flash, however, the side that is supposed to be flashing is bright and the opposite side flashes dim

All Rear and right front signal connected (no left front):
Tail and brake work properly
Dim running light in right front and rear right side signal
Front and rear signal work properly when activated
All three signals flash when left signal activated

All rear and front left signal connected (no right front):
Tail and brake work properly
Dim running light front and rear left side signal
Front and rear signal work properly when activated
All three signals flash when right side signal activated

I tried switching back to original relay and got running lights all around but turn signals did not function at all.

Note that all signals came three wire so running light wire for rear was clipped and capped. All wire splices were done using crimp and heat shrink connectors, tight and sealed.

Any ideas on what could be wrong would be tremendously appreciated!!!

Oh, and can someone tell me if the stock rear indicators are running lights. I can't remember. I am puzzled that they are coming on at all.

Lyoko thanks for your input so far as I know we have been discussing this already. Just figured maybe I could get a few more views in a separate post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I assume you've had a look here?:
https://www.hondarebel3forum.com/foru...nda-rebel.html

But clarify something here; Where and how have you connected the front indicators?? Have you connected the front wires together with the rear wires?

And no, there is no such thing as "rear running light" in the indicators, only at the front. By law you're not permitted to have "rear running lights" by using the indicators even.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes your wiring post helped greatly! Each light was spliced into existing wire and plugged back into same connectors (blue and orange) as before. It is set up exactly the same as it was.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm at a loss then, I can't fathom why you're experiencing these issues... :S

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 02:10 PM

So how many wires are there on each turn signal ?

Existing is I believe 3 wires for the front (running / indicator / earth) and the rear has 2 (indicator / earth).

If the new ones all have 3 wires then what have you connected the third wire on the rears to ?

Mods so far;
Changed the brick to an oval tail light.
Replaced pillion seat and pegs with luggage rack.
Changed headlight bulb for Philips RacingVision +150% H4.
Changed levers for 7 Click GP Adjustable Levers.
Changed the filler cap bolts to Red.
Added Grip Puppies foam covers.
Added left side swing arm bag made for Harley Sportster XL1200.
Added mesh screen in front of radiator (thanks to JimInOz for howto)
..more to follow..
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo View Post
So how many wires are there on each turn signal ?

Existing is I believe 3 wires for the front (running / indicator / earth) and the rear has 2 (indicator / earth).

If the new ones all have 3 wires then what have you connected the third wire on the rears to ?

They are not connected to anything. Clipped them and sealed the end so no wire is exposed. I thought that might be a problem but I know some others here have done the same. The rear on their own, work fine. It is not until I connect the fronts that problems arise.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 06:56 PM

So for me there are the things that stand out are.

a) under certain conditions you get the rear running lights on - even though the wire feeding that LED is cut and sealed.
b) under certain conditions you get all indicators flashing instead of left or right - but only when either front is connected

This sounds to me like a combination of two problems

1) There is some sort of voltage / earth bleed within the indicator housing (or maybe a problem with the circuitry within), how else can the rear running lights come on if its wire is cut.
2) The relay is doing something wrong and sending power to both indicator wires under certain conditions when it should only be to one side. (Putting in the original relay isnt really a test as I assume the new relay is required to work with LED lights).
3) Problem 2 might be a side-effect of problem 1 as some sort of feedback from the voltage / earth bleed might be causing the relay to misbehave.

I suggest you test the lights with just a straight battery connection and see what comes on when you connect them direct to a power source - the relay is there (I assume) to create the blinking effect.
Have you tried just connecting the indicator and earth wires on all 4 and leaving all running wires disconnected ?
Have you tried reversing the front and rear pairs ? (I know this means the front running light wont work but just as a test).
What happens when you have both fronts wired up but only one of the rears ? (try both possible single rear combinations).
What happens if you join the running light wire to earth instead of a dead-end (if this is possible with the cut ones) [also be careful with this as depending on the wiring / circuitry within the led housing this may create a short to earth]

Mods so far;
Changed the brick to an oval tail light.
Replaced pillion seat and pegs with luggage rack.
Changed headlight bulb for Philips RacingVision +150% H4.
Changed levers for 7 Click GP Adjustable Levers.
Changed the filler cap bolts to Red.
Added Grip Puppies foam covers.
Added left side swing arm bag made for Harley Sportster XL1200.
Added mesh screen in front of radiator (thanks to JimInOz for howto)
..more to follow..
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I got some great information from Jon at Custom LED!
I was right, it is the cheap lights. They are allowing current to flow back into the circuit causing rear lights to come on. The relay simply controls the rate of flashing. Some diodes will help that but the four way flashing requires diodes in the harness leading to the gauge cluster.

Lesson, don't buy turn signals that cost about $12 a piece. I am concerned at this point I could put all of these diodes in and then the lights themselves don't last long so I think I'm going to invest in some better quality signals seeing that I'm the only one here who's had problems with this mod.

Any manufacturer recommendations are welcome! I do not need integrated rears as I have a tail light.

Kenny G likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Glad you got it sorted out at least.
Shame that you have to get brand new lights again though... Sadly it's a typical case of you get what you pay for..

I got my lights from here:
INDICATORS / TURN SIGNALS - MAX-INC AUSTRALIA

Super good quality, they have multiple options in regards of what kind of lights you want, so they have way more besides those I got (in regards of integrated tail light and such)
They also have website for the UK, if that's more convenient?

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko View Post
Glad you got it sorted out at least.
Shame that you have to get brand new lights again though... Sadly it's a typical case of you get what you pay for..

I got my lights from here:
INDICATORS / TURN SIGNALS - MAX-INC AUSTRALIA

Super good quality, they have multiple options in regards of what kind of lights you want, so they have way more besides those I got (in regards of integrated tail light and such)
They also have website for the UK, if that's more convenient?

Thanks, I'm in the U.S. I hope I can find something I can get relatively quickly.

Lyoko likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page