Wiring USB charger in front of bike - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Wiring USB charger in front of bike

I recently purchased a cell phone moon with a built in USB charger for my rebel. It just has a red and black wire running from it. I just wanted to see if anyone could advise me on the best way to wire it. I understand there is an accessory adapter in the front somewhere but have yet to locate it. Would it be best to use that or run a wire to the battery or tail light?? Thanks all in advance!
Kenny G likes this.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:26 PM

Garage
Rebel,

I think it is best to wire it directly to the battery.

Kenny G
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017rebel500abs View Post
I understand there is an accessory adapter in the front somewhere but have yet to locate it. Would it be best to use that or run a wire to the battery or tail light?? Thanks all in advance!
Don't wire direct to the battery because then your accessory won't switch off with the ignition. Use the connector that is inside the headlight housing. It's the option 2P connector and you'll find it very easy to access after you remove the plastic housing of the headlight. It's on the right side folded up underneath the clear plastic boot shown in the attached image. The service manual wiring diagram shows this attached to a 7.5 amp fuse.

I can get the mating connector part number and link you can purchase from if you're interested....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebel 500 Option 2P Connector.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	17194  
Lyoko, stump, Andrey and 3 others like this.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:58 PM

I looked up the connectors I ordered.
Set HM090-2
Motorcycle HM .090 Sealed - Connector and Terminals

This place has minimum $5 order requirement. You need the female connector, but if you order a set then you're sure to get the terminals and seals you need. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you can buy extra terminals. It's not a bad idea to buy some extra terminals in case you damage one of the terminals while trying to crimp it.
Kenny G and kmfpo like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 11:26 PM

Garage
Great info Egraham, just ordered the connector. from your pic looks like the 2 wires are green and purple, does the service manual say which one is pos/neg?
Thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
from your pic looks like the 2 wires are green and purple, does the service manual say which one is pos/neg?
The green is connected to the frame ground so it should be negative. Purple is connected through the fuse block. You can double-check this with a voltmeter if you turn the ignition on. Purple should have 12V on it.
willysr2 likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 05:03 AM

Garage
Yup, in the front light bucket, there it is, Factory accessory socket is connected there also (via addictional 1A fuse- yes, if you have original equipment, fuse for socket is there- behind front light!). Needles to say, with that addictional harness become changing H4 bulb real PITA, so since I was already there, I tossed this harness away and connected switched power to relay, whish I incorporated in harness, when I connected heated grips.
Kenny G likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 11:27 PM

Garage
I'll check it when i'm ready to hook it up. I just got the connectors today but realized something else. I can't just cut the cord off my existing garmin cable and put the connector on, because then i'd be feeding 12v directly to the gps without a voltage regulator, instead of the 5vdc it's supposed to run on.
so guess i need to get the garmin cable that includes bare wires on the end -with inline regulator.

I saw a thread from last year where a guy wired his Tom Tom gps directly to that connector , wonder if his blew up, or if there was a regulator somewhere not pictured that he didn't mention.
Lyoko likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
I just got the connectors today but realized something else. I can't just cut the cord off my existing garmin cable and put the connector on, because then i'd be feeding 12v directly to the gps without a voltage regulator, instead of the 5vdc it's supposed to run on.
so guess i need to get the garmin cable that includes bare wires on the end -with inline regulator.
If Garmin makes a cable, that's probably the easiest solution, but depending on your electrical skills, you could get a cheap voltage regulator and make your own 5V supply cable. You would have to verify the current supply was adequate to power the Garmin. Depending on current draw, you might need a separate heat sink.

Here's the L7805 regulator:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/107
Lyoko likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:21 PM

Garage
egraham-just finished it today. everything was straightforward especially after your pics and descriptions. thanks again. (new thread with pictures up in the "what did you do today" section)
egraham and pattytrue like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page