HOW TO: Replace OEM Headlight With LED Bulb - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
HOW TO: Replace OEM Headlight With LED Bulb

Hi fellow Rebel 300/500 owners. I recently replaced my headlight bulb with an LED replacement bulb. Another member suggest taking a few pics while I was in there to replace the dust boot (which I ripped the first time) so I did and figured I'd post a how-to. It's really a simple thing to do, but hopefully it will help some people who want to change out their bulb and aren't sure what to do with the factory dust boot.

I think we are all capable enough to take off some allen head bolts so I didn't take pictures of every little step, but I tried to show some of the stuff that's different compared to replacing it with a stock bulb. Just to clarify, the bulb used is here - https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ink/3930/8566/

Step 1: Take out OEM headlight.
2 x 5mm screws on the sides of the headlight housing to pop the black cover off of the headlight. I also took out 1 of the headlight mount screws and loosened the other so I can swing the headlight over for more room to work (those are 6mm allen heads). Pop the wire clips to move the thick wires out of the way, push the metal clip holding the bulb down and over, and remove OEM bulb.

Step 2: Put the base of the new LED bulb in the socket and reattach the metal clip (the heatsink/bulb unscrew from the base).

Step 3: Flip the dust cover inside out and use a razor to cut the nipple down so there is a little more room for the bulb/heatsink to thread onto the base. Flip it back the proper way and insert the bulb/heatsink.

Step 4: Push down and twist to attach headlight/heatsink back into the base. Make sure the dust cover is nice and tight and around lip like it was from the factory

Step 5: Plug in your new LED light, reattach the clips for the wire bundles, and close the headlight back up!

The cutoff is still super sharp and the pattern doesn't leave a V in the road like many other LED/HID replacements bulbs do. I will add a picture from the road to show it off a little better at some point. For now, here is a picture in front of a garage.

01-7700, Twizzian, Lyoko and 4 others like this.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 09:42 PM

Sharp writeup ! Thumbs up
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 12:32 AM

Just wanted to add. This is illegal. And unless your inspection place doesn't really check over the bike, it should also fail inspection.
So just be forwarned before doing this.
Doogie_H likes this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Just wanted to add. This is illegal. And unless your inspection place doesn't really check over the bike, it should also fail inspection.
So just be forwarned before doing this.
Whao, what facts can you back this up with? USA? Only thing I can find is this fact from Arizona "Lights higher than 300 candlepower canít illuminate more than 75 feet in front of the vehicle" which properly adjusted headlights don't throw farther then, plus incandescent are under this same rule. Let's not get on the LED hating bandwagon. We all hate blue and purple nonsense, but a 5k-6k bulb, led, in a proper housing with a proper beam such as above violates no laws I can locate and I would ask how are manufacturers such as Mercedes Benz and BMW allowed to sell their vehicles factory equipped with these lights if they are illegal? I know for a fact mini is offering them as a factory option, for the right price of corse

Last edited by Ravnet; 01-29-2018 at 11:09 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 03:26 AM

AFAIK, you are not allowed to use a different light source. When a headlight was approved for H4 light bulb, that is the only one you can legally use. At least that is the case in EU.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm honestly not positive whether it technically is or not over here in NY, but cops aren't going to bother you unless you have some crazy color or you have HID's or something that's blinding everyone on the road.

As far as inspections go, my scooter is packed with illegal stuff - intake, exhaust, blocked PAIR valve, colored headlights, blinkers too low - and they basically made sure whatever lights I had worked, tested my horn, and charged me the $6. Plus, it would be daytime anyway so they wouldn't even see if how the light shines. If they were that strict, every Harley on the road where I live would fail for handlebars and exhaust at least.

Not saying it's legal to every last letter of the law but if the light is properly patterned/aimed I don't think anyone would have an issue with it or even notice. At least this uses the OEM housing which has the DOT stamp unlike many aftermarket LED headlight housing replacements.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Forgot to put this in there and my time limit for editing passed.

If anyone is worried check your state inspection requirements. This is from the NY DMV Inspection checklist and it is the only thing listed under the "Headlamp" section:
"One unit may be used to accomplish two or more lighting purposes.
The motorcycle must display at least one headlamp to the front of the vehicle. When
operated with a sidecar attached, it must have at least two headlamps displayed to the
front. The headlamp(s) must be capable of projecting a dual beam (high/low). The
headlamp(s) must be "on" whenever the motorcycle is operated on the public highways
of this state."

You can also check some extra state codes (aside from the inspection regulations) here: https://www.illumimoto.com/motorcycle-led-laws-us/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:47 PM

The problem is the housing is for a halogen light. It is illegal to use that housing for a different type of light source. Since it will not correctly reflect and was not made for that.
It is illegal in my state in PA. The housing must be made for the type of headlight bulb you are using.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:11 PM

ya'll are using the definition of "illegal" incorrect i believe: contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law.

when we look up the per-state laws, there are no laws stating you cannot modify the lighting, just laws on how the lighting must project. Basically, you can put whatever you'd like from my research as long as its aimed properly. What I believe most of you are referring to is the inaccurate old-time description of: HID = Projector, reflector = halogen and LED = special housing. while you are partially right, newer bulbs (designated by their fitment, H4, H3, ect) have updated proper reflectors built onto the light for housings such as reflector. If you notice on his LED in the picture (which he got a great shot of) you'll see a LED that has a build in reflector below it preventing the beam from free dispersing (like you would want in a projector housing) and you'll also notice his very-good cut-off line for the beam. H-e-l-l even updated HID headlights are perfectly fine in reflector housings now-a-days. Now... you can't put an H4 bulb into another housing without major mods - fact. the housing is designed to meet the bulb needs, ie: low and high combined, high only, low only ect. so ordering a H4 bulb even if there were a law on the books that said you cant change it to an H3 for example, would still be an H4 bulb, but LED vs incandescent vs HID. now whats all this long drawn out explanation mean? We need to use "legal" and "illegal" in the appropriately and not in a scare-tactic way because we simply don't like something. Bad Taste? Annoying? All not illegal. With all that said, properly adjust your lights, order the proper ones and IF they don't project right - FIX IT. Don't blind oncoming traffic because you are then creating hazardous driving conditions and THAT is illegal. Or post a correction to a law on the books and I'll happily eat crow. Happy/Safe riding everyone!
Lyoko and Jskafff like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:45 PM

Thumbs up LED Replacement.

Hi, I followed the instructions and no problems, more than happy with the transformation, I was also going to fit extra driving / spot lights fork mounted but decided not to after the LED conversion, before I removed the fork mounted LED Lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-05 08.13.56.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	27339  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page