Heated Grips Install Help - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Heated Grips Install Help

Attempting to install some Bike Master heated grips on my wife's Rebel 500. The instructions say to attach the red wire to the "key on switch wire". Does anyone know where this wire might be found?

Also, it's a 4A fuse for the heated grips, can I tap into another wire? Brakes lights, perhaps?

I'm assuming connecting straight to the battery terminals wouldn't be good and might drain the battery over time. Is that a correct assumption?

Instagram @jayparrington
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
They mean one of the wires that goes to your ignition, since turning your key turns on power for the rest of the bike.
So basically, you could just draw the "raw" power needed to power the grips from the empty power socket either in the headlight, or underneat the tank, and then wire up your own "on/off" svitch to determine when they should have power or not.

So yes, connecting straight onto the battery, without any way of cutting off the power, would drain it over time.
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
They mean one of the wires that goes to your ignition, since turning your key turns on power for the rest of the bike.
So basically, you could just draw the "raw" power needed to power the grips from the empty power socket either in the headlight, or underneat the tank, and then wire up your own "on/off" svitch to determine when they should have power or not.

So yes, connecting straight onto the battery, without any way of cutting off the power, would drain it over time.
I realize they mean the wire that goes to the ignition, however, where is that found under the seat/side panels? The negative hooks up the the battery so I'm looking for a wire within a foot of that to tap into.

The Grips already have a switch, so I don't need to install my own.

Here's what I'm working with. The positive has an inline fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	8513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	8521  

Instagram @jayparrington
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM

Garage
I think I would use a relay off of the ignition key and then feed the power from the battery thru the relay to the heated grips.

FWIW

Kenny G
RebelRider likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I ended up taping into the rear light. Please let me know if this is wrong or dangerous. Everything is currently working. The switch does turn off the grips and my wife will be shutting them off each time she turns off the bike.....hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	8553  

Instagram @jayparrington
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 02:15 PM

I would think the better option would be to wire it to the ignition, so that if the key's off, so are the grips... then it's just a matter of using the switch to turn them on/off as needed, without having to worry about inadvertently draining the battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
RebelRider likes this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
I would think the better option would be to wire it to the ignition, so that if the key's off, so are the grips... then it's just a matter of using the switch to turn them on/off as needed, without having to worry about inadvertently draining the battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
That is what the instructions say but I'm not sure where I can find the ignition wire around the seat area. I most definitely would like to stick with your advice and the instructions.

I figured the brake/tail light has enough amperage to handle the grips and they go off when the ignition is off.

Instagram @jayparrington
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 04:05 PM

Garage
It's much better connect them via relay, so you will got main power to the grips via battery, switch on handlebars will be only trigger and won't get all that power needed for grips... Here you have schematic how to wire them properly- if you not very familiar with electric it's maybe better to let do this somebody else...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hotgrips_instructions.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	8561  
Kenny G, Lyoko and RebelRider like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 04:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertC View Post
It's much better connect them via relay, so you will got main power to the grips via battery, switch on handlebars will be only trigger and won't get all that power needed for grips... Here you have schematic how to wire them properly- if you not very familiar with electric it's maybe better to let do this somebody else...
I concur.

Kenny G
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the help and the diagram.

Instagram @jayparrington

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page