Can't reach the turn signal - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Can't reach the turn signal

I can't reach the turn signal while holding the clutch in - I'm 5' 1", so the Rebel is one of the few bikes I can essentially flat-foot, but the levers and switch positions are really far away! I added adjustable levers, but my thumbs are just too tiny : (

Any advice besides the joy of using hand signals all the time?
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 01:18 AM

I have the same issue, though I'm 5' 9"... guess I just have short thumbs lol. Just activate the turn signal before squeezing the clutch, and deactivate it after you're through your turn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Lyoko and Thrilla-Detroit like this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 01:40 AM

Garage
I have this problem too! 5'5" here with small hands (it's not like most women have large lobster-crushing mitts, come on Honda)!

I'm also annoyed they switched the horn and turn signal positions. When I'm out on my Honda scooter I've been honking at people cause I was so used to the horn being on the bottom. #sigh
Lyoko likes this.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:04 AM

Garage
Yup same issue here at times. I try to put on the signal before I pull levers
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRebel View Post
I have this problem too! 5'5" here with small hands (it's not like most women have large lobster-crushing mitts, come on Honda)!

I'm also annoyed they switched the horn and turn signal positions. When I'm out on my Honda scooter I've been honking at people cause I was so used to the horn being on the bottom. #sigh
hahaha I do the same on my honda scooter. Anytime I switch, I make that mistake at least a few times the first few minutes.

Regarding the turn signals though, I'm only 5'9" and it doesn't give me much of a problem. Maybe I got used to it without thinking about it, but I just sort of shift my hand over while the clutch is pulled to reach the indicator. I don't think I'd reach if I left my hand exactly where it is when I pull the clutch though.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:56 PM

Garage
Same here. Im 5'2" with small hands.
Im just indicating before engaging the clutch.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Glue a little stick on your tumb? Maybe put some rubber on the end of the stick, for better grip?
Kenny G likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
Glue a little stick on your tumb? Maybe put some rubber on the end of the stick, for better grip?
I think bionic hands will get cheaper, maybe by then we will be able to control all hand functions with our minds
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by st.rebel View Post
I think bionic hands will get cheaper, maybe by then we will be able to control all hand functions with our minds
True, true. But still a little far into the future perhaps? There is some decent options out there already, but still, would not chop off my hand any time soon yet...
Kenny G likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 11:49 PM

Depending on if, or how much, you may have rotated your handlebars, you may be also have pushed the turn signal even further away from your thumb. These switches use a locator nub that fits in a hole in the handlebar so you can't just loosen and spin. I wound up drilling another hole in the handlebar so I could rotate the turn signal assembly closer up to where my thumb actually is.
Lyoko likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page