Headlight modification build. - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Headlight modification build.

I wanted to go with a LED headlight. But I know that just changing the bulb to LED won't work correctly since the housing on these bikes is not made for led so it won't actually reflect them correctly. So I am trying to work out making a replacement bracket for the light.
Just starting this project so I still need to figure out how to make a bracket to mount this, but here is the approx way it will look when it is done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight1.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1194   Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight2.jpg
Views:	1227
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1202  
RebelAdmin and shadow like this.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:27 PM

That does look pretty cool and I'm interested to see the end result but why won't the LED reflect the light properly on it's own?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
That does look pretty cool and I'm interested to see the end result but why won't the LED reflect the light properly on it's own?
Because the housing is made for halogen bulbs which distributes light differently than and LED.
They make LED bulbs that reflect better but you would have to find one that works perfectly in your bike.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Because the housing is made for halogen bulbs which distributes light differently than and LED.
They make LED bulbs that reflect better but you would have to find one that works perfectly in your bike.
It doesn't have to be anymore perfect than the halogen it was designed for. The challenge for LED designers is to spread a point source light to a diffuse one. There are perfectly good LED options for the H4 lamp, and what they may lose in perfect photometric matching to a tungsten filament, they make up for in lumen output and color.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdavies View Post
It doesn't have to be anymore perfect than the halogen it was designed for. The challenge for LED designers is to spread a point source light to a diffuse one. There are perfectly good LED options for the H4 lamp, and what they may lose in perfect photometric matching to a tungsten filament, they make up for in lumen output and color.
I know with HID headlights if you install them without the proper housing they are actually illegal. I am pretty sure the same is true for LED. If you install an Led headlight in a housing that is meant for a different bulb you are actually changing a safety feature on you bike and making it no longer DOT approved.

The only legal way to install an LED headlight on your bike is via changing the entire housing.

Now that being said I know most people don't follow every law about modifications to their bikes or cars. But I just wanted to point out that there is a difference.
If you look online and watch actual videos about light spread then you will see most LED bulbs, while brighter, actually don't cover the same distance as the Halogen bulb.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:10 PM

shorty-

I think I actually started with the LED lamp you show in your pic. Then I tore into it only to see that elaborate contraption at the back of the housing. Didn't see a practical way to make it fit AND keep the adjustability of the beam. Anxious to see what you may come up with as I'd like to buy that lamp again and ditch the H4 LED I got, which works really really well, but it has a heat sink and a fan which is not a great solution in that housing!!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdavies View Post
shorty-

I think I actually started with the LED lamp you show in your pic. Then I tore into it only to see that elaborate contraption at the back of the housing. Didn't see a practical way to make it fit AND keep the adjustability of the beam. Anxious to see what you may come up with as I'd like to buy that lamp again and ditch the H4 LED I got, which works really really well, but it has a heat sink and a fan which is not a great solution in that housing!!
I think I found a housing that is going to work well. It should arrive thursday so I will post pics up then and let ya know how I made out.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 02:38 AM

Garage
I just ordered 7" LED headlight, 7" headlight bucket and headlight bracket. Will have pics up when I have them installed.
pbrolli likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlong View Post
I just ordered 7" LED headlight, 7" headlight bucket and headlight bracket. Will have pics up when I have them installed.
do you mind telling me/us where u ordered them?

cheers
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:51 PM

Garage
I ordered it from Amazon.com cuz Amazon.ca doesn't have it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page