super weird : clutch activates blinkers/hazards - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By shortyg83
  • 1 Post By Neil Braybrook

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation super weird : clutch activates blinkers/hazards

so let me start off with a very brief backstory. got some X-Arc duo rear blinkers, I installed them and they worked great no problems for a month straight. Then I got the front ones, I installed them and they failed pretty quickly (the company is mailing me a new pair the computer inside failed somehow, Great customer service) while waiting for the new fronts to come in I've still be riding my bike around using hand signals as well as rear indicators, yesterday when riding with my girlfriend she asked me if i had my hazards on, i didn't. we kept riding and she said it again to me so i started to pay close attention. It doesn't happen when the bike is at a stand still but when I'm moving in first gear if i pull my clutch in the hazards will activate on the rear. so every time i shift the hazards would blink. she also said the right blinker was blinking randomly at times. I did just install a new relay maybe that could be it? I don't understand why they worked fine then I installed this new relay and front signals (which did work but then failed are not working currently but they are still on the bike) and it would start doing this. any ideas? I'm hoping that once again its bad programming with the lights/blinkers themselves and not some sort of wiring problem on my end.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS

Last edited by flyinbrianbmx; 06-03-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: title change
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

also another weird thing is it only seems to do it as the bike is moving not when it's standing still.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:05 PM

Yea this doesn't make sense. The clutch has literally nothing to do with the wiring of the lights. So there are likely only a few possible causes. One being that somehow the clutch handle is either pinching a wire or the plastic housing that holds the blinker control is somehow getting pressure from the clutch handle causing it to short.
The other option would be a bad relay but it doesn't seem to make sense that pulling in the clutch could activate that issue outside of it causing a short.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Yea this doesn't make sense. The clutch has literally nothing to do with the wiring of the lights. So there are likely only a few possible causes. One being that somehow the clutch handle is either pinching a wire or the plastic housing that holds the blinker control is somehow getting pressure from the clutch handle causing it to short.
The other option would be a bad relay but it doesn't seem to make sense that pulling in the clutch could activate that issue outside of it causing a short.
yeah i literally have no idea whats wrong, today ill be switching out the new relay for the stock one and maybe that will help

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:18 AM

That is strange, my x-arcs fronts were bad too, replacement on the way, but I have not experienced any of the other issues like that, I would agree something maybe shorting in the handle controls since blinker controls are on the clutch side. I am also running after market relay, (the custom LED one)
flyinbrianbmx likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Braybrook View Post
That is strange, my x-arcs fronts were bad too, replacement on the way, but I have not experienced any of the other issues like that, I would agree something maybe shorting in the handle controls since blinker controls are on the clutch side. I am also running after market relay, (the custom LED one)
yeah, I've been meaning to message you about this so thanks for replying already! I hope its a bad relay or something but honestly I think I'm going to wait till I get the new front blinkers and take it to my local shop, I'm a little over it now lol. maybe I'll try one more time but if it doesn't work I'll be so pissed lol, just annoying and time consuming.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page