Break in period - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 24
Hey guys! Used to have a ninja 250 but upgraded finally! As I’ve never owned a new bike I want to make sure I’m doing this correctly.

I have the 500 and I’ve been varying Rpm’s, no lugging, no throttle past 3/4 and just taking it around the city. At 300 miles now.

What about taking it on the highway before the 600 mile service? I did around 5miles at 60mph and it felt like the engine was reving pretty hard in 6th gear, maybe I’m just overthinking it/babying the engine.

Also, with Honda’s recommend shifting points so low, do you guys ever thing the engine is struggling?

For the first service did your dealer do anything more than an oil change?

Last edited by Ischeibe3; 03-28-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Ischeibe3 is offline  
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 140
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ischeibe3 View Post
Hey guys! Used to have a ninja 250 but upgraded finally! As Iíve never owned a new bike I want to make sure Iím doing this correctly.

I have the 500 and Iíve been varying Rpmís, no lugging, no throttle past 3/4 and just taking it around the city. At 300 miles now.

What about taking it on the highway before the 600 mile service? I did around 5miles at 60mph and it felt like the engine was reving pretty hard in 6th gear, maybe Iím just overthinking it/babying the engine.

Also, with Hondaís recommend shifting points so low, do you guys ever thing the engine is struggling?

For the first service did your dealer do anything more than an oil change?

break in: Congrats on the upgrade! Everything you're doing is exactly what my dealer said to do. I asked my dealer the same question about the highway since my job is only 10-15 minutes away by highway and he said it should be fine if I'm not pinning the throttle to merge/pass and I still vary the rpm a bit even if it's just a bit between 55 and 65. I ended up not getting on the highway until the last bit of the break in anyway since it is my first full size bike and I wanted to work up to it but I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're not being thoughtless about how you're riding.

shift points: I have a 300 so I don't know if our 'recommended' shift points are different or not, but I saw them a few weeks ago posted somewhere and they were certainly uncomfortably low. If I'm putting around a side street sure I'll shift low like that because there's no need to go any faster but out on the road I always shift a bit higher.

First service: I did this myself, but my dealer just said they basically do an oil change and then check everything over on the bike - chain, make sure all the nuts and connections are tight, etc. If you do it yourself, don't skimp on the physical inspection part. My chain had too much slack and one of my upper shock bolts backed itself out a bit which I'm definitely glad I found.
Jskafff is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
 
WJMRTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 228
Garage
Welcome to forum. sounds like you have done a good job so far . After 300mile you should start to use most of the rev range every now an then .And some high speed crusing in top gear on freeway in short bursts. If motor feels reluctant to rev freely is still tight and needs more running in ,But if revs freely motor is almost run in and by 500 - 600 mile should be run in
csaunders101 and Roberto3 like this.
WJMRTY is offline  
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
 
Lyoko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Europe - Norway
Posts: 1,655
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskafff View Post
First service: I did this myself, but my dealer just said they basically do an oil change and then check everything over on the bike - chain, make sure all the nuts and connections are tight, etc. If you do it yourself, don't skimp on the physical inspection part. My chain had too much slack and one of my upper shock bolts backed itself out a bit which I'm definitely glad I found.
I have to say that this is a foolish thing to do.
You can't expect that a regular guys in the neighborhood would know everything that needs to be checked, and how.
This is highly a safety issue, as there could be nuts and bolts that are critical for the safety of driving the bike, and you and everyone else could miss them.
Let the people who knows what they are doing make sure that the bike is a 100%, rather than saving yourself a few buck wanting to do it yourself.
A simple oil change is fine by itself, but this is the very first service of the bike. The dealer goes over the whole bike, every nut and bolt, and re tighten things to correct torque.
You guys have some balls to choose those bucks over safety, I'll give you that.
dollarbill181 likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
Lyoko is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
CueBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko View Post
I have to say that this is a foolish thing to do.
You can't expect that a regular guys in the neighborhood would know everything that needs to be checked, and how.
This is highly a safety issue, as there could be nuts and bolts that are critical for the safety of driving the bike, and you and everyone else could miss them.
Let the people who knows what they are doing make sure that the bike is a 100%, rather than saving yourself a few buck wanting to do it yourself.
A simple oil change is fine by itself, but this is the very first service of the bike. The dealer goes over the whole bike, every nut and bolt, and re tighten things to correct torque.
You guys have some balls to choose those bucks over safety, I'll give you that.
The same can be accomplished with the maintenance manual and a torque wrench.

My bike hasn't seen the dealership since I picked it up.
Kenny G and Shaun like this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
CueBaller is online now  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Kenny G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Robson Ranch, Denton, TX USA 2017 Rebel 500
Posts: 1,291
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
The same can be accomplished with the maintenance manual and a torque wrench.

My bike hasn't seen the dealership since I picked it up.
I have managed servicing my Rebel with the aid of the Service Manual and a Torque Wrench.

The only problem that I had was checking the coolant reservoir, the plastic is so opaque that I could not see if I had any coolant. I took a small funnel and attached a section of tubing to it. I slowly pored the coolant into the reservoir until it started running out of the overflow tube.

In the future I am going to check the coolant level by sticking a pipe cleaner or drinking straw down through the filler snout to reach the coolant. I have seen pics of the coolant tank on here where one can clearly see the blue coolant, myself and several people have looked and the cannot see through the reservoir on my 2017 Rebel.

Kenny G
Tree likes this.
Kenny G is online now  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
 
01-7700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,053
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
I have managed servicing my Rebel with the aid of the Service Manual and a Torque Wrench.

The only problem that I had was checking the coolant reservoir, the plastic is so opaque that I could not see if I had any coolant. I took a small funnel and attached a section of tubing to it. I slowly pored the coolant into the reservoir until it started running out of the overflow tube.

In the future I am going to check the coolant level by sticking a pipe cleaner or drinking straw down through the filler snout to reach the coolant. I have seen pics of the coolant tank on here where one can clearly see the blue coolant, myself and several people have looked and the cannot see through the reservoir on my 2017 Rebel.

Kenny G
maybe flashlight pointed inside ?
Kenny G likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
01-7700 is online now  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Kenny G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Robson Ranch, Denton, TX USA 2017 Rebel 500
Posts: 1,291
Garage
I used flash lights and a halogen spot light and the coolant tank is just so opaque I cannot see through it. I had several people look and they cannot see through the coolant tank either. My limited experience with liquid cooled motorcycles is that one seldom has to add any coolant unless something is leaking.

I am not going to worry about it. My garage floor is spotless so if I develop a leak it will be quite obvious.

For those that have dogs don't allow any coolant to collect on your garage floor or driveway as dogs love it and it will soon poison and kill them.

Kenny G
Kenny G is online now  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Kenny G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Robson Ranch, Denton, TX USA 2017 Rebel 500
Posts: 1,291
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
The same can be accomplished with the maintenance manual and a torque wrench.

My bike hasn't seen the dealership since I picked it up.
Baller,
Did you find any bolts or nuts that were not at least as tight as the factory spec?

I found nothing less tight than the specs in the manual.

Kenny G
Kenny G is online now  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 24
Update: took the bike on the highway for a couple quick bursts and that really did the trick. The engine smoothed (rev wise) out a ton and cruises easily around 60. Gears have gotten much more fluid and it feels much more comfortable with different engin load.

At 400 miles now! Thanks for the advice guys!
Tree likes this.
Ischeibe3 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Break in phase hammad.khan Maintenance 28 11-30-2017 01:37 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome