When to use the engine shut off switch? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Banned

When to use the engine shut off switch?

When I had the bike delivered the guy told me never to use the shutoff switch as it could damage the engine and to always use the key to turn the bike off.

My question is how true is this statement and if true.. why? I've read the owners manual several times and I see nothing in there that makes such a statement.
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 11:57 AM

I usually use the kill switch to turn it off then use the key. Have done this to all the bikes I've owned and never had any issues.
Tree likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Gosh, we have had countless threads on this "issue" by now..
The long and the short: You're supposed to use the key, but the fact is that the kill switch is wired in the same way that the ignition key is, there isn't any difference there. The only thing is that the power will still remain on when using the kill switch.
Not sure how it's supposed to damage the engine however, as it literally does the same as the key.
Shaun likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko View Post
Gosh, we have had countless threads on this "issue" by now..
The long and the short: You're supposed to use the key, but the fact is that the kill switch is wired in the same way that the ignition key is, there isn't any difference there. The only thing is that the power will still remain on when using the kill switch.
Not sure how it's supposed to damage the engine however, as it literally does the same as the key.
I figured as much, but the fact that this guy mentioned it to me had me worried enough to ask about it, and as a new rider I didn't want to develop a habit that would damage my bike.
Lyoko likes this.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 12:43 PM

Like stated already the kill switch and even the kickstand use the same shut off that the key does. Literally cant cause any more damage than using the key.
fast31 and Lyoko like this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:49 PM

Garage
So I'm brand new to the rebel and motorcycling as a whole, so my answer here is my own brainstorming and I could be wrong.

I sat on the bike one day thinking this over and realized the key is in a terrible spot for turning the motor off by key first which feels natural. Plus, you have to let go of the clutch to get the key which (to me) sounds like a recipe for disaster if you forget to put it into neutral when you park and suddenly your bike kicks. I'm not sure who out there leaves their bike in gear but I see this being a thing for parking on any sort of incline as you would with a car, leave it in gear so it doesn't roll off on you.

So that raises the question how to get the key without releasing the clutch. I see no other way than cutting the engine via the kill switch, clutch on, then releasing clutch (engine off) going for the key with left hand.

Overall, to me, killing via the switch just seems safer all around if there's no proof of damage to the engine which I agree I see no other way it kills it other than just cutting the electricity to the engine which is harmless.

Until proven otherwise, I'm going to continue killing it with cutoff switch first with clutch pulled even if my neutral light is on. I'll pass on the day I forget I'm in first gear and release my clutch to go for the key and discover that thing is still in gear.

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
When I had the bike delivered the guy told me never to use the shutoff switch as it could damage the engine and to always use the key to turn the bike off.

My question is how true is this statement and if true.. why? I've read the owners manual several times and I see nothing in there that makes such a statement.
The guy delivering your bike didn't know what he was talking about.

Kenny G
01-7700, fast31, Benggolf and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
The guy delivering your bike didn't know what he was talking about.

Kenny G
Well I'm familiar with how ignition systems work for cars etc and it really didn't make sense to me either, which is why I wanted to ask just in case he was right. I've watched people shut their bikes down with the kill switch almost exclusively for many many years and the statement he made seemed odd, but being a new rider and a new bike I thought he knew something I didn't.
Kenny G likes this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:01 PM

Here's the quick and accurate response (It's the McGarage so I trust them):

Basically do whatever you want when you shut off your Rebel 500, it's all the same just don't forget the key in the ignition!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:21 PM

Garage
i've never once used the kill switch on any bike i've ever owned
but there's no danger in using it; if that's what you choose to do

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page