Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

When to use the engine shut off switch?

16K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  garfy2008 
#1 ·
When I had the bike delivered the guy told me never to use the shutoff switch as it could damage the engine and to always use the key to turn the bike off.

My question is how true is this statement and if true.. why? I've read the owners manual several times and I see nothing in there that makes such a statement.

#3 ·
Gosh, we have had countless threads on this "issue" by now..
The long and the short: You're supposed to use the key, but the fact is that the kill switch is wired in the same way that the ignition key is, there isn't any difference there. The only thing is that the power will still remain on when using the kill switch.
Not sure how it's supposed to damage the engine however, as it literally does the same as the key.

#6 ·
So I'm brand new to the rebel and motorcycling as a whole, so my answer here is my own brainstorming and I could be wrong.

I sat on the bike one day thinking this over and realized the key is in a terrible spot for turning the motor off by key first which feels natural. Plus, you have to let go of the clutch to get the key which (to me) sounds like a recipe for disaster if you forget to put it into neutral when you park and suddenly your bike kicks. I'm not sure who out there leaves their bike in gear but I see this being a thing for parking on any sort of incline as you would with a car, leave it in gear so it doesn't roll off on you.

So that raises the question how to get the key without releasing the clutch. I see no other way than cutting the engine via the kill switch, clutch on, then releasing clutch (engine off) going for the key with left hand.

Overall, to me, killing via the switch just seems safer all around if there's no proof of damage to the engine which I agree I see no other way it kills it other than just cutting the electricity to the engine which is harmless.

Until proven otherwise, I'm going to continue killing it with cutoff switch first with clutch pulled even if my neutral light is on. I'll pass on the day I forget I'm in first gear and release my clutch to go for the key and discover that thing is still in gear.

#8 ·
Well I'm familiar with how ignition systems work for cars etc and it really didn't make sense to me either, which is why I wanted to ask just in case he was right. I've watched people shut their bikes down with the kill switch almost exclusively for many many years and the statement he made seemed odd, but being a new rider and a new bike I thought he knew something I didn't.

#12 ·
Let me tell first what i am doing, i am always using kill switch to turn off the bike. During training trainer advised me to use key to turn off the bike, the reason off that:

When you used kill switch electric is still on if you forgot to key on. You can find your bike run out of battery. That is the only reason why people suggested that. It definetly not damage your engine.

On the other hand using kill switch all the time gives you reflex during emergency you will turn of the bike from kill switch.

Just keep in mind normal time when you turn off the bike also take the key off.

That is how i do and my reason. But using kill switch definitly not harm your engine.

SM-G920F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

#14 ·
When you used kill switch electric is still on if you forgot to key on. You can find your bike run out of battery. That is the only reason why people suggested that. It definetly not damage your engine.
That's it right there. Nothing worse than coming out to a dead bike because of something so dumb.

#17 ·
That person just forgot to take the key out. Probably because he used the kill switch instead of the key to turn off the bike.
Maybe he also has a fancy car that has no key but one of those proximity sensor thingies and he is not used to having to take out the key when leaving the vehicle.

#20 ·
I understand that these bikes tend to cater to riders that are mostly beginners but it's crazy to see the level that these kill switch discussions have gone and how vehemently against using them people can be. If you're not keying off after using the kill switch or side stand then you have a technique problem-and the problem isn't how you shut it off. As a rider you should be able to see when your lights/cluster are on, which is anytime your key is anywhere other than off, and that should be the trigger to tell you to at least switch the key off before walking away. That has nothing to do with being smart or dumb, that's literally just having your eyes open and being cognizant of your surroundings.

And who leaves their key in their bike? I do, for one, every single time I park inside my garage. There's literally no need to lock my steering and/or remove my key when it's there. If I leave it in the ignition while I'm out then we're right back to poor technique, and when my bike is outside it always gets the steering locked and key removed.

Once you get enough saddle time you will have a general pattern/procedure that you follow pretty much each and every time you ride, from walking up to walking away. It's a lot harder for weekenders to get there but you definitely will if you stick to it. Your procedure may be 'different' but that doesn't make anyone else's 'wrong'. Don't be so condescending of everyone and their questions/opinions, a lot of people here are trying to learn and improve.

#26 ·
That's ridiculous, when I leave my keys in the bike it has absolutely nothing to do with John Wayne or any other Western character. Why are you so offended by what someone else does if it doesn't affect your safety in the slightest? Does it bother you that I or anyone else can not kill a battery by simply having some common sense? Your entire premise of the situation falls apart under the slightest scrutiny and your need to keep dragging this out looks pretty silly. :x

#27 ·
I don't care if you have your bike stolen because you want to leave the keys in. It's your bike and you can do with it what you want. I am not offended by what you do because it does not affect me.
I am not brave enough to walk away from my bike leaving the keys in.

#29 ·
You seem to have conveniently forgotten the part where I said that the key only stays in when it's in the garage. If someone gets into the garage that's right outside my window without me knowing or without anyone else in my apartment complex being suspicious then the key is not what was going to keep them from taking the bike, lol. I've had a motorcycle stolen and, plot twist-the key was not in it when it happened.

You do know how to block her don't you?

Kenny G :smile2:
LOL, it's no sweat off my back. Some people are just bitter with the world and want to impose their ways on everyone. It's easy to have your own 'way', it's sometimes harder for some people to imagine that other people do things a little differently and that there's nothing wrong with that.

#32 ·
I never used and use the kill switch on any of my bikes.
All manuals af any bikes are describing the use of it: only in emergencies.

Sometimes I test the function of it. I think, the habitual use of this switch bears the danger of forgetting the starter key in the bike, because it´s allready off and the next guy will be thankful for getting a bike so easy from a jackass! Besides this, the electrical functions stays all ON, when using the kill switch.

#34 ·
The following is a quote from page 113 of the 2018 Rebel 300 Owner's Manual (underlining is mine):

Instruments, Controls, &Other Features
Ignition Switch

Leaving the ignition switch in the ON position with the engine stopped will drain the battery.Do not turn the key while riding.

Engine Stop Switch

Do not use the engine stop switch except in an emergency. Doing so when riding will cause the engine to suddenly turn off, making riding unsafe.If you stop the engine using the engine stop switch, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. Failing to do so will drain the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.