Mixing engine coolant? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Mixing engine coolant?

So I went to my dealer today to get some spare fluid for the coolant, since it's a little on the low side.
And they gave me a bright yellow coolant, but there is a blue coolant on the bike now.
I asked again and again, if they are absolutely sure that I can mix the two, and they claim that it won't cause any problem, that it's nothing to worry about.

Well now... I've been driving cars for some time now, and if it's something I've learnt, it is that you never ever wanna mix two different coolant fluids inside the system.
Here it's pretty simple, you've got a Red coolant, and a Blue one. If the car uses Red, then use Red. Is it Blue, then use Blue. The end. That simple. Just NEVER mix them.

So yeah, ofc I'm gonna be pretty darn sceptical here when they say "it's fine"
I ofc wanna trust my dealership and their expertice, and be able to take their word for it.
But the anxiety inside me is screaming by the thought of mixing two different fluids here..

So anyone more knowledable than me here on this matter that may shine some light upon this?

I tried looking in the handbook in regars of spesification needed for the coolant, to see if it's the same on the bottle I got, but it doesn't say anything about it in the book.
It just recommends Honda original, and should be 50/50 mix, or so and so depending on clima etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21765215_10154925582622967_4813380179165735125_n.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	9225   Click image for larger version

Name:	22045772_10154925582502967_8490445836405940139_n.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	9233  
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Can I mix different colors?
The ultimate answer is no. Mixing different styles of coolant can lead to accelerated degradation of your cooling system and can cause all sorts of problems. To best understand this, itís a good idea to do a quick explanation of what the different types are. Coolant color is NOT a sure fire way to tell what kind of coolant is in the car, the type of corrosion inhibitors used ARE.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/2479...r-coolant-buy/

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:31 PM

Personally wouldn't do it even though I have no idea if it'll negatively affect an engine or not. Back in the day, different colors indicated different chemical characteristics and I don't know enough about chemistry to mix them.

Maybe you can try calling another dealer and ask for a second opinion?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
So I went to my dealer today to get some spare fluid for the coolant, since it's a little on the low side.
And they gave me a bright yellow coolant, but there is a blue coolant on the bike now.
I asked again and again, if they are absolutely sure that I can mix the two, and they claim that it won't cause any problem, that it's nothing to worry about.

Well now... I've been driving cars for some time now, and if it's something I've learnt, it is that you never ever wanna mix two different coolant fluids inside the system.
Here it's pretty simple, you've got a Red coolant, and a Blue one. If the car uses Red, then use Red. Is it Blue, then use Blue. The end. That simple. Just NEVER mix them.

So yeah, ofc I'm gonna be pretty darn sceptical here when they say "it's fine"
I ofc wanna trust my dealership and their expertice, and be able to take their word for it.
But the anxiety inside me is screaming by the thought of mixing two different fluids here..

So anyone more knowledable than me here on this matter that may shine some light upon this?

I tried looking in the handbook in regars of spesification needed for the coolant, to see if it's the same on the bottle I got, but it doesn't say anything about it in the book.
It just recommends Honda original, and should be 50/50 mix, or so and so depending on clima etc...
Lyoko,

If you have Amazon in Norway they handle a lot of Honda Products here in the U.S.

I wouldn't put any fluid in less than what Honda recommends, dealers only recommend what they make the most money on.

Kenny G
Tree likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
This is kinda proving to be a real pain in the ..... Fill in the blank.
Every single bit of information I try to find inside Norway just leads down to the words:"See your local dealer for more info in regards of products and such"
A main Honda Office in Norway apparantly doesn't exsist.. Bah.. And as far as I know, I believe I've found the genuine coolant from Honda elsewhere, but none who ship to where I am, so yeah... F me, right?
But I still can't find the actuall spesification for the genuine coolant, to even see if the one I have match up there at least.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 02:44 PM

Garage
Lyoko,

All I can find is "Recommended Coolant" Pro Honda Coolant is a pre-mixed solution of antifreeze and distilled water.

Kenny G
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah that's just about all I can find too, Kenny.

I've found some sites inside Norway where I can enter the info of the bike, and the coolant I've got popps up. It does say at the back "Compatible with all cooling fluids"
So I dunno guys.. Still reluctant to mix two different colors coolant here. But things do point towards it being ok to mix, apparantly.
I've sent some e-mails here and there, to hopefully get some other educated answer on this, so guess I'll wait and see.
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah that's just about all I can find too, Kenny.

I've found some sites inside Norway where I can enter the info of the bike, and the coolant I've got popps up. It does say at the back "Compatible with all cooling fluids"
So I dunno guys.. Still reluctant to mix two different colors coolant here. But things do point towards it being ok to mix, apparantly.
I've sent some e-mails here and there, to hopefully get some other educated answer on this, so guess I'll wait and see.
Lyoko,

How much trouble would it be to drain the cooling system and start with fresh coolant that is made for aluminum engines?

Kenny G
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Lyoko,

How much trouble would it be to drain the cooling system and start with fresh coolant that is made for aluminum engines?

Kenny G
Ugg, more throuble than what it's worth at this point..
The bike is brand new for petes sake, coolant fluid last at least 3 years from what I'm reading. Some even say 4-5 years.
But according to the manual the service interval says to change after 3 years.
So yeah, ain't gonna be bothered about starting to change it now when the bike is barely 6 months old even.

If I'm not convinced that it's ok to use the coolant I've gotten, then I should be able to source up the genuin coolant on Ebay or some other place that will ship all over the place.
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Ugg, more throuble than what it's worth at this point..
The bike is brand new for petes sake, coolant fluid last at least 3 years from what I'm reading. Some even say 4-5 years.
But according to the manual the service interval says to change after 3 years.
So yeah, ain't gonna be bothered about starting to change it now when the bike is barely 6 months old even.

If I'm not convinced that it's ok to use the coolant I've gotten, then I should be able to source up the genuin coolant on Ebay or some other place that will ship all over the place.

Is your coolant actually so low as to need additional? like how low is it? Isn't the "low" bar on the reservoir anyways? Isn't that like, extra coolant? I'm not sure you really need to even add any!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page