Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Finally found a 13t front sprocket

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Showmeguy66 
#1 ·
Going from the stock 15t down to the 14t made a noticeable difference in the performance of my 500. So, if a little is good then a lot must be better. I finally found a 13t and got it on today. And it is the one that will stay. Not surprisingly, the change in gearing has made my 500 a different animal entirely. The reduction in gearing is certainly not for everyone, but I came to the Rebel from having big bore dirt bikes forever. The Rebel's snappier throttle response is on par with some of the dirt bikes I have had. No more chugging when idling along in traffic, no more chugging if I short shift a gear, it will pull the front tire up when hitting second, and I don't keep checking if I'm in sixth.

It does wind more on the open road, but I rarely run much over 60, so no big deal. I had flirted with the idea of making some performance upgrades to the engine, but the gearing change has had enough of an impact, that I think that I will leave it alone. It really is that much snappier. All in all, for $20 or so, I couldn't be happier with the results. Maybe even better than I had hoped.

#3 ·
Where'd you find the 13t sprocket at? And did you change the rear sprocket for the compensation of teeth?

I changed my sprocket to 14t and I feel it. Best change but still gotta get one of those speedohealers and not sure why but the chain is super slacky even though I've been trying to adjust it the best I could

#4 ·
Not sure what you mean by compensation of teeth, but no, I didn't change the rear. And when you get the speedometer straightened out, let us know. I think I might do that too. I finally found the 13t on Ebay.

I am getting ready to cut a couple of links out of my chain so the adjustment is in the middle of it's range.

#7 ·
Reducing teeth in the front will decrease top speed but add acceleration, you will also be switching through the gears alot faster and more often, I already thought 1st was short stock. I can imagine what it would be with a 13t you should gps it, hit 15 mph and have to shift? Overtly you can also go bigger on your rear sprocket will do the same thing, sometimes a combo of both to get that perfect feel you are looking for. Stock seems fine to me tho!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.