How to Make the Rebel-500 Fast? Anybody Know? - Page 2 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel401 View Post
Maybe there's some 'secret' GOV deal? Or maybe Honda has closed this motorcycle and locked it like a 'locked cell phone'? Who knows

I'm an engineer so in time I'll find the schematics, China sells ECU chips for about $1, there all the same, every ECU on the planet uses the same chip-set, after that its just glue to stabilize and tune the chip.

Top-End kits? Valve Kit's, EFI mod kits, performance mod's for getting more fuel?

I don't care if I burn up the engine, that's part of the fun of retooling the engine and making it better.
I've never read this part of your original post - but now I gotta laugh hard.

No I don't think it would be a secret govt deal, it's rather that peeps look down on the rebel as a low cost entry level bike and rather change the bike, than upgrade for the same money. Neither it is around since stone age as a pushrod harley to have a whole industry built around customising it.

You don't specify what kind of an engineer you are, but if you think that all ecu chips are the same, and one can buy one for 1$ and all the rest is needed is some glue - you are certainly not an electronic engineer with automotive background.
To get you started, the Rebel ecu is based on an NXP SPC5602 chip which has ppc architecture. 😉

Last edited by Oyabun; 04-05-2019 at 01:08 AM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Super cool! Thanks for sharing that hard earned info. I am going to start accumulating parts and info and when I have enough, I would like to pursue this. Thanks again for this info and don't hesitate to add anything new that comes along.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 AM

Thought i'll add a few pictures here just for fun.

The first is a stock used head. Showing the bowls behind the valve seats, both on the intake and exhaust side. Look how the seats are not blended with the bowls due to machining tolerances. Watch the exhaust port how carbon builds up due to turbulence where the seat steps down to the bowl.

Next is after the head porting and polishing is done. Intake left rough, exhaust ports and combustion chamber is polished to avoid carbon buildup as possible. Seats are not yet recut, and head is not decked yet.

Third is the finished product, head decked for increased compression; valve seats recut; valves installed, lapped and shimmed to proper tolerances with the reground cams - all ready to install.

These with the intake mods, exhaust and an ecu flash bring roughly 58-60hp with more power everywhere in the power band.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seatbowls.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	27645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180611_120554_HDR.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	27647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180919_190836.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	27649  
01-7700, Kenny G, RupertC and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Oyabun; 04-06-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:21 PM

That's awesome
ringading60 likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
Thought i'll add a few pictures here just for fun.

The first is a stock used head. Showing the bowls behind the valve seats, both on the intake and exhaust side. Look how the seats are not blended with the bowls due to machining tolerances. Watch the exhaust port how carbon builds up due to turbulence where the seat steps down to the bowl.

Next is after the head porting and polishing is done. Intake left rough, exhaust ports and combustion chamber is polished to avoid carbon buildup as possible. Seats are not yet recut, and head is not decked yet.

Third is the finished product, head decked for increased compression; valve seats recut; valves installed, lapped and shimmed to proper tolerances with the reground cams - all ready to install.

These with the intake mods, exhaust and an ecu flash bring roughly 58-60hp with more power everywhere in the power band.
You're awesome! I will be contacting you after I'm back from deployment. I love this little bike and Have no problem giving it the love it deserves. Having one a bit tuned up will be unique and a bit of a sleeper. Not a crazy sleeper but a sleeper none the less and a fun one at that.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:04 PM

Oyabun,
You mentioned: "Many of us uses the ixil cat less stainless exhaust headers as they are cost effective, come without a cat and have larger diameter downpipes than oem. Interesting that the +19 bikes also come with fatter exhaust headers and a larger, better flowing cat out of the factory.

Which header pipe are you using? I'm asking because it looks like the cbr500 and cmx500 use the same header but the mounting brackets are in different spots. Does the cbr500 header bolt right up or do you need to make a new braket?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzito390 View Post
Oyabun,
You mentioned: "Many of us uses the ixil cat less stainless exhaust headers as they are cost effective, come without a cat and have larger diameter downpipes than oem. Interesting that the +19 bikes also come with fatter exhaust headers and a larger, better flowing cat out of the factory.

Which header pipe are you using? I'm asking because it looks like the cbr500 and cmx500 use the same header but the mounting brackets are in different spots. Does the cbr500 header bolt right up or do you need to make a new braket?
Sorry, as I wrote earlier I'm talking about the cbr500/cb500f/cb500x bikes as experience. I'm pretty sure if the ixil os not listed for the rebel, it has to be modified.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gray View Post

You're awesome! I will be contacting you after I'm back from deployment. I love this little bike and Have no problem giving it the love it deserves. Having one a bit tuned up will be unique and a bit of a sleeper. Not a crazy sleeper but a sleeper none the less and a fun one at that.
Thanks. Feel free to contact here - happy to help out. These are lovely bit underrated bikes.

Stay safe. Been around in the whole middle east (not in the military) and my cousin has done quite a few tours in the middle east and Afghanistan (as an army air control officer).
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:52 AM

The rebel is a fast bike already.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyabun View Post
Sorry, as I wrote earlier I'm talking about the cbr500/cb500f/cb500x bikes as experience. I'm pretty sure if the ixil os not listed for the rebel, it has to be modified.
Oh! I guess I missed that part but thank you for the info. Those are headers are a good enough deal that grinding off and relocating the mounting brackets worth the effort. Thanks again.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page