Throttle blipping / rev matching - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Throttle blipping / rev matching

I self-proclaim I'm a newbie to motorcycles and frankly manual transmissions in general (I drive an auto but I know HOW to drive stick, just don't own one)

I've heard this term "Throttle blipping" thrown out lately in motorcycling conversations and what not, and I understand what it is, basically matching engine RPM's to wheel RPM's during a downshift.

Does the Rebel 500 benefit from this? Every YouTube video I see talking about it is recorded on sport bikes. I started to wonder if this was a sport bike practice, or something used on bikes with quick shifters, or something else entirely I'm not connecting. Nobody has mentioned it here that I can find, wasn't mentioned in the safety course when getting endorsement. So what's the deal on this business?

Educate me

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:04 PM

The safety class refers to it as rev matching. It's basically to ensure a smoother, less jumpy downshift If you're going to use engine braking rather than just coasting and braking.

Personally, I just wait to downshift until the rpms are in the right range for the next lower gear, then downshift and ease the clutch back out.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:16 PM

no reason to blip the throttle...
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
Personally, I just wait to downshift until the rpms are in the right range for the next lower gear, then downshift and ease the clutch back out.
This
Tree likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:14 PM

i do it every time i downshift, the reason you could be running it high in 3rd gear downshift to second and your rear tire locks up causing you to high side. anyone saying there's no reasons obviously hasn't had the rear lock up on them yet.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrianbmx View Post
i do it every time i downshift, the reason you could be running it high in 3rd gear downshift to second and your rear tire locks up causing you to high side. anyone saying there's no reasons obviously hasn't had the rear lock up on them yet.
I would think a better solution would be to not downshift into 2nd if you're still in 3rd at high rpms.

But that's just me lol
Kenny G, Benggolf and Tree like this.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I would think a better solution would be to not downshift into 2nd if you're still in 3rd at high rpms.

But that's just me lol
wait till you do it! Don't forget to come back and say hello
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrianbmx View Post
wait till you do it! Don't forget to come back and say hello
I don't plan on doing it, any more than I plan on shifting my truck into reverse while still driving forward.

As I said above, I don't downshift until I'm in the lower rpm range for the gear I'm in, and even then I ease the clutch out.

Short of a mechanical failure causing a single downshift to move from 4th into 2nd, I don't see how this could happen... and even then, the rpms wouldn't be high enough to lock up the tire.
Lyoko and Tree like this.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I don't plan on doing it, any more than I plan on shifting my truck into reverse while still driving forward.

As I said above, I don't downshift until I'm in the lower rpm range for the gear I'm in, and even then I ease the clutch out.

Short of a mechanical failure causing a single downshift to move from 4th into 2nd, I don't see how this could happen... and even then, the rpms wouldn't be high enough to lock up the tire.
Ok, remember that when it happens though!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:25 PM

Again dont down shift IF the speed is to high for the gear you WANT to down shift to.

Problem solved. Dont know how you "accidentally" down shift to early and lock a wheel!
Maybe a slight wheel spin/slip, but then agian dont downshift at to high a rev!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page