Throttle blipping / rev matching - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 132
Garage
Throttle blipping / rev matching

I self-proclaim I'm a newbie to motorcycles and frankly manual transmissions in general (I drive an auto but I know HOW to drive stick, just don't own one)

I've heard this term "Throttle blipping" thrown out lately in motorcycling conversations and what not, and I understand what it is, basically matching engine RPM's to wheel RPM's during a downshift.

Does the Rebel 500 benefit from this? Every YouTube video I see talking about it is recorded on sport bikes. I started to wonder if this was a sport bike practice, or something used on bikes with quick shifters, or something else entirely I'm not connecting. Nobody has mentioned it here that I can find, wasn't mentioned in the safety course when getting endorsement. So what's the deal on this business?

Educate me

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
Json_Blob is offline  
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:04 PM
Senior Member
 
CueBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 713
The safety class refers to it as rev matching. It's basically to ensure a smoother, less jumpy downshift If you're going to use engine braking rather than just coasting and braking.

Personally, I just wait to downshift until the rpms are in the right range for the next lower gear, then downshift and ease the clutch back out.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
CueBaller is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
 
fujirio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 187
no reason to blip the throttle...
fujirio is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Maryland, U.S.
Posts: 723
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
Personally, I just wait to downshift until the rpms are in the right range for the next lower gear, then downshift and ease the clutch back out.
This
Tree likes this.
Odin is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 409
i do it every time i downshift, the reason you could be running it high in 3rd gear downshift to second and your rear tire locks up causing you to high side. anyone saying there's no reasons obviously hasn't had the rear lock up on them yet.
flyinbrianbmx is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
CueBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrianbmx View Post
i do it every time i downshift, the reason you could be running it high in 3rd gear downshift to second and your rear tire locks up causing you to high side. anyone saying there's no reasons obviously hasn't had the rear lock up on them yet.
I would think a better solution would be to not downshift into 2nd if you're still in 3rd at high rpms.

But that's just me lol
Kenny G, Benggolf and Tree like this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
CueBaller is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
I would think a better solution would be to not downshift into 2nd if you're still in 3rd at high rpms.

But that's just me lol
wait till you do it! Don't forget to come back and say hello
flyinbrianbmx is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
CueBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrianbmx View Post
wait till you do it! Don't forget to come back and say hello
I don't plan on doing it, any more than I plan on shifting my truck into reverse while still driving forward.

As I said above, I don't downshift until I'm in the lower rpm range for the gear I'm in, and even then I ease the clutch out.

Short of a mechanical failure causing a single downshift to move from 4th into 2nd, I don't see how this could happen... and even then, the rpms wouldn't be high enough to lock up the tire.
Lyoko and Tree like this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
CueBaller is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
I don't plan on doing it, any more than I plan on shifting my truck into reverse while still driving forward.

As I said above, I don't downshift until I'm in the lower rpm range for the gear I'm in, and even then I ease the clutch out.

Short of a mechanical failure causing a single downshift to move from 4th into 2nd, I don't see how this could happen... and even then, the rpms wouldn't be high enough to lock up the tire.
Ok, remember that when it happens though!
flyinbrianbmx is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 109
Again dont down shift IF the speed is to high for the gear you WANT to down shift to.

Problem solved. Dont know how you "accidentally" down shift to early and lock a wheel!
Maybe a slight wheel spin/slip, but then agian dont downshift at to high a rev!
jdock is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sucking Noise with Throttle Kevin Phu Honda Rebel 300 & 500 General Discussion 6 07-10-2018 08:23 AM
Throttle - play? Rebelstonewalljackson 2017+ Honda Rebel Issues And Problems 4 05-09-2018 11:46 PM
New sticking throttle grip Tdubb Accessories And Add Ons 8 03-17-2018 03:04 AM
Throttle slop. shortyg83 Honda Rebel 300 & 500 General Discussion 5 05-10-2017 10:40 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome