Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Gear Chart

38K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  alexf415 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi there,
I am looking for a gear chart. I mean a chart with the gears 1-6 and the speed in kmh or mph on one axis and the engine speed in rpm on the other axis. Does anyone know a torque chart?
I found the shifting thread, but that is not my question. I guess what rpm the engine takes in the 5th and 6th gear at 100 kmh and at maximum speed.

I found nothing on the net............

One may ride yesterday I think I could use a 7th gear ;)

Greetings from Hamburg

For example............

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
This is actually a common "mistake" people make. Thinking that the gear box on the bike is equivalent to the gear box of a car. And it's not wrong, technically, but have you ever thought about the difference in the rpms between a car and a bike?
A bike will always be driving with a higher rpm for it's gears than a car will.
I was doing the same thing when driving with my instructor, to get the license for bikes, and he told me to ignore what I knew about gearing in terms of car riding, as it's perfectly normal for bikes to ride it's gear at a higher rpm.

#8 ·
I Think so too. The engines of cars do turn slower rpms then the engines of motorbikes.
The thing I want to know is: what rpm does the cmx 500 engine run at 100 kmh and at maxium speed in the 6th or 5th gear?
Another new question: is there a limiter to the rpms?
Thank you for your patience with my questions.

Greetings from Hamburg

#9 ·
So, I asked Honda UK what the bike speed is for each gear per 1000 revs. I'd like to know that to understand the bike better. I also asked what was the rev limit. I have just been told that Honda UK does not have that information! What?!!! Must be a closely guarded secret. (I suppose only Google knows!) ?

#10 ·
So, I asked Honda UK what the bike speed is for each gear per 1000 revs. I'd like to know that to understand the bike better. I also asked what was the rev limit. I have just been told that Honda UK does not have that information! What?!!! Must be a closely guarded secret. (I suppose only Google knows!) ?

I'm told there IS a rev limiter, I don't know when it kicks in but it IS somewhere above 85mph :cool:

#18 · (Edited)
Well done samuraiadam17, you've cracked it. Thank you.
For those who would like it, mph per 1000rpm for each gear is as follows:
Gear.............Speed
1 ............... 4.26 mph.... per 1000 rpm
2 ............... 6.65 mph.... per 1000 rpm
3................ 8.74 mph.... per 1000 rpm
4 ..............10.76 mph.... per 1000 rpm
5 ..............12.16 mph.....per 1000 rpm
6 ..............13.41 mph.....per 1000 rpm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.