Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

5th and 6th gear

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dollarbill181 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Just got my Rebel 300 last week. My god, I love it!

When passing on the highway, for more part, I've heard that it's better to downshift from 6th to 5th gear for more power. My question is, what is the max speed that I can safely downshift at? I'm scared to drop to 5th at anything higher than 55mph in fear of causing a skid because of being in the wrong gear. For example, would it be safe to drop from 6th to 5th at 65mph to allow for more power? The 300 definitely needs the extra at those speeds ?

Thanks!

#3 ·
First of all, is your bike even past the break in period yet? It's concerning that you're asking about this on a week old bike....

I'm not encouraging anyone to actually do this, but the only way to know on these bikes since they have no tack, is to simply drive it in 5th gear and stretch it to see how far it'll go. That way you'll know the max km/h (mp/h) for that gear, and thus make sure you never change down from 6th if you ain't within safe speed to do so.
But I'll say again, I'm not encouraging you or anyone else to go out and do that. I'm just providing info, what you or anyone else does with that info is your business.

If you can't live with the fact that the 300 is a "slow" bike, then you should have gone for the 500.

#4 ·
He didn't say that it was a new bike - only that he has had it for a week. I also don't see where he says that the bike is slow.

I do agree that shifting down to 5th on a 300 at 65mph might be a little much. As you say, it's all a matter of trying things to see the limitations of your bike. What works and is comfortable for one may not work or be comfortable for someone else.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Lyoko,

Thanks for the very warm welcome.

The bike is past it's break in period. Just because I just got the bike does not mean that it is brand new. ?

Earlier this morning I wanted to see how far 5th would take me - it went to around 75mph, but she was screaming! I'm guessing that means it' safe for me to duck down to 5th at 65 mph.

Thanks for the quick response and feedback.

Longbeach,

I agree, it might be a little too much. She is begging for air at 70+ in 5th but still seems to have more get up and go than I would have in 6th. I barely do any highway commuting, so luckily I won't have to worry about this too much. I just would to do what's best for my Jenny.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.