Motorcycle Cruise Control for Rebel 500 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 7Likes
  • 6 Post By AllenPom
  • 1 Post By R80rt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Cool Motorcycle Cruise Control for Rebel 500

We ride a lot on western roads. My right/throttle hand gets cramped after a couple hours. Today we added a “BreakAway Motorcycle Cruise Control” to my Rebel 500 ABS. My photos are below.

It fits the Honda 300/500 perfectly with the minor addition of two layers of black friction tape under the rubber friction ring band on the Grip. We ordered Part Number 7CP01 for 1” handle bars for Cruisers & Victory. It installed with no mechanical adjustments using the thickest rubber shim provided. We chose this system because it appeared to be the safest and easiest to use for small hands. I am 4'10” tall with matching small hands.

This unit does not require me to do anything complicated while driving – just push the lower button to lock the throttle. It can be released by one of 3 methods: (1) with light friction just twist the throttle forward. (2) Push the upper button to release or (3) slightly pull on the right hand brake lever. I am pleased to report just a tiny tap of my after-market brake lever pops the throttle loose – magic or great engineering design?, hmm, I choose magic. In my opinion this is the safest throttle lock on the market for a person with small hands. The thumb control buttons are immediately adjacent to the throttle grip, so no macro hand movements are needed and both buttons are push and push – not lifting. My small hands have low strength and mechanical advantage – push and push is better. It looks great on my bike. With quality machined surfaces it look like it belongs there. It is so smooth I don't feel regular black paint will stick without chipping. I may black “Sharpie Pen” paint the support rod later.

The installation took my husband about an hour. Fifteen minutes of that was spent looking for one of the tiny screws he dropped on the floor. The screws are some kind of non-magnetic stainless material that our big find-little-screws magnet did not pick up. “Breakaway” has lots of dealers, including Harley shops, but only the 7CP01 appears to fit my Honda 500. The installation directions are clear, organized, logical, with photos of every step. Oh and yes, it cost $179. After seeing it and operating it, it is a good value compared to the cheaper units.

• The brochure that came with it states the following features:
  • Instant front brake release
  • Easy push button engagement
  • Instant push button release
  • Fully mechanical
  • No modifications or drilling required
  • CNC machined 6061-T6 Aluminum
  • Polished and anodized
  • Made in America

See you out there.
Wild Woman on my Honda Rebel 500 ABS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1507.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	4993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1506.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	5001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1505.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	5009  
rangrot, Kenny G, Lyoko and 3 others like this.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:16 AM

Neat! Thanks for sharing.

Benggolf
2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
2016 Can-Am Spyder F3T
2016 Indian Scout
2014 Can-Am Spyder RTL
2014 Honda 300 Forza
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:10 AM

Garage
Awesome. Please tell us how well it works for you. I'm definitely looking at buying something for cruise control as well.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 05:57 AM

Garage
Great review, please let us know how it goes after some use. Thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 AM

That's awesome. I use a throttle boss, plastic thing that goes around the throttle, so I can cruise with my palm and hand open so no cramps.
Will definitely look into this when it comes time to start thinking of road trips. Never knew this existed, thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:14 PM

Garage
I just installed this on my Rebel 500. I like it.

Here are three installation notes I have:

1) You'll need to relocate your brake farther away from the BrakeAway mounting bracket than shown in the instructions, or else rotate the brake so that the level points higher. The attachment point for the brake lever sticks down and hits the BrakeAway. This causes both it and the throttle to bind. I found an extra 3/4" gap seemed to work well.

2) The shim for the friction isn't thick enough for the stock grips. Like AllenPom, I ended up with tape filling the gap.

3) There are two points at the bottom of the unit that are QUITE sharp. I came back from my test ride and noticed a large scratch on my gloves. With the throttle grip "shortened" because of the mechanism, my hand sits fairly tightly up against that point. I'll take a small file and smooth them down.

--Tad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image02.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	28097  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:54 AM

Garage
I use a thick O ring, roll it on the grip like a rubber into the gap between the switch housing and grip, works like a charm and cost is about 25 cents. Use at your own risk of course.
Kenny G likes this.

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.

2018 Rebel 500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page